Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1N54-"clarks grade"

Okay Old Fart, you seem to know alot about this adopt-a-trail thing and conditions of the trails in the SBNF. Do you know anything about 1N54 or otherwise called "clarks grade".

I was scouting for deer season last weekend and came up on this road.....it was rated at a blue diamond and said something about Porche and/or HOV group being the sponsoring group(s)? just wondering what the trail was like because i didnt have time to look for myself. anyones help would be great.
    Last edited by Nate; 08-03-05, 09:47 PM.
    87' XJ "Gnarly"

To some ! it's a six-pack, to me it's a Support Group. Salvation in a can!
    ~ Dave Howell

Nate,

Just saw this - gotta run to T3 real quick but will hunt down a trail report when I get back. Clarks Grade is "my club's" (SBNFA OHV's) AAT

Ok - found it:

"1N54 (Clarks Grade) Has been graded recently, making easy work of
    the boulders the we left behind last spring. The berm is rebiult on
    top of the wall. Needs some brushing on the top section. We stopped
    near the bottom where we had a clear view of the Barton Flats area
    to watch the lightning. It was an incredible show! Once the rain
    started coming down hard, we decided to leave before any roads got
    washed out, since we were one vehicle."

Some old stuff from one of our folks:

http://www.off-road.com/jeep/feature/clarksgrade/
    Last edited by Old Fart; 08-04-05, 12:40 PM.
    Jeff
    OHV76V
    KG6TY
    You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

i hate when they grade roads....takes all the fun out. Why is it rated as a blue diamond? When was the last time u were up there? Any good deer areas for me??
      87' XJ "Gnarly"

~ Dave Howell

Comment

Hmm, the last time I was on Clark's Grade was probably 95-96 or so.

Bear in mind that fire roads need to allow a Type 2 Fire Truck access, that's why we grade them.

Currently, 1N54 _is_ a "blue" trail, will stay at that level until it gets smoothed out. The general public uses this road also - we don't want some Mom and kids in their family SUV getting stuck, now do we?

Can't help you on the deer - I quit going after Bambi with a long gun years ago. Last whitetail I took was in south Texas - T/C Contender in .35 Remington.
        Last edited by Old Fart; 08-04-05, 02:08 PM.
        Jeff
        OHV76V
        KG6TY

Comment

i see what you mean....but i still dont like it when they grade out roads enough to drive my MINI VAN through! keeping some of the roads "rough" keeps alot of people out that otherwise have no business being there. but i understand from a fire safety standpoint.
          87' XJ "Gnarly"

~ Dave Howell

Comment

Plenty of rough roads in the SBNF - tell me where you've been so far, maybe I can suggest some ones that are more fun!
            Jeff
            OHV76V
            KG6TY

Comment

Working...
            X