Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's my birthday so I am going to Mexico

hey guys, I was wondering if anyone wanted to go down to Laguna la Salada by way of Tecate this weekend of June 24 to 26. This is a neat huge dry lake we can cut around on for hours.
    Do not worry about your Spanglish as it cannot be worse than mine. 2 days camping on the lake. Pack light is the rule.
    I always bring a carton of Malboros and some cheap childs t shirts and such. IF the federalis search you they take a few packs and send you on your way, and the shirts are a hit in small villages.
    Having extra gas cans is a must in good ole mexico as if you see gas, BUY IT, and bring a old cloth to strain it through, sometimes you are buying it from a 55 gallon drum.

http://www.myjeeprocks.com/forums/ca...=2005-6-24&c=1

link to event in MJR calender
    Last edited by blackZZR; 05-09-05, 02:07 PM.
    censored for having an opinion

As an alternative, If the lake is a mud pit, I know of a road that goes into the west side of the Parque Nacional Constitucion over the spine of the Seirra De Jaurez and eventually into Ensenada, last time we went, over the spine we had a winch session as part of the road is kinda, well, gone. but it is passable. Ah Mexico.
    Or we can all just go down to Punta San Miguel and camp on the beach.
    what ever it will be a weekend of relaxation, Magaritas, and tacos till we get heartburn. oh and a few mexican beers mixed in there.

Comment

The lake is a mud pit right now, we went and checked last week
      the event will start in Rosarito at Rene's Sports Bar, That is just past the southern bridge on the right. We are trying to get out of there at 6 in the morning and head south. we wil turn east in Ensanada and climb the mountains to the park, Saturday we play going over the spline of the mountains and heading down to the Lake to camp, we will have to use a Hwy besides the lake to get north on sunday as we tear out for home.

A few words about Mexico, Have extra gas cans, Especially if you have an older tj with the 15 gallon tank or an older Jeep. We buy Gas whenever we see it, once we are past Ensenada, you will need a way to filter gas, sometimes it is bought out of a 55 gallon drum. Bring extra u joints.
      About the Police, DO NOT tell them you are an American citizen, they already know, it pisses them off when you try to pull rank, remember you are in Mexico, not the USA. Let them look around, Let the Fderales look around. Bring Cigareetes, not for you, for them.
      About the conditions, we will be camping twice with PRIMATIVE conditions
      Bring your own supplies, and Ice may be hard to find, have an effient ice box. Cheap coolers or ones that do not seal well and you can be in a spot.
      Insects, yes, snakes , yes
      Hot sun is guarenteed as will be a few flats

Bring your Cal 4x4 recomended safety equipt
      Bring a 5 gallon container for water
      Make sure your Jeep is in good repair
      You will be suprised what you can use Duct Tape for

You are responceable for the Jeep behind you, do not let it out of your site
      when we are in towns, and know where he is when we are on the road

Comment

We have 7 jepps and 12 peole going at this time, I really hate to say this but I must close this to any others. The logistics can just get to crazy. I regret this. Next year I will try to get the info out quicker here, The guys on this board are great and I would love to have a few come down to Mexico with me. It is a blast. One of the reasons I have to close is I have had trouble getting gas for this many jeeps in small towns in Mexico before. And that can ruin a bunch of peoples weeks having to wait till someone gets motivate to get a 55 gallon drum of gas and bring it back to a stuck jeep.
        Jim

Comment

Guys I work In Mexico,

There are some real hard core "Mexican" off roaders also. Sure the gas is bad even the locals complain but most is usable.

If you do get in trouble try and get a "Federal Police" to abritate for your problem...you wont pay.

I have droven all they way to Cabo in a TJ with out gas cans.

My import /export person has a Jeep ( he rides bike though) and there are many clubs in Mexico (Baja). Have fun and Dont do any thing in Mexico which you would not do in the US ...

But keep an eye on your rig at all times....

Besides my Jeep I also Love Mexico it Rocks
          97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
          WEB site

Comment

I can run all the way to cabo without gas cans also, but when you are beating up the little roads and trails down the east coast of baJa, or the Jaurez mountains, gas gets precious.

ps, I have less troubl;e with my rig in Mexico than here in California
            Have Smackos, will travel

Comment

Originally posted by Barker
              I can run all the way to cabo without gas cans also, but when you are beating up the little roads and trails down the east coast of baJa, or the Jaurez mountains, gas gets precious.

ps, I have less troubl;e with my rig in Mexico than here in California

Your right about the gas on the off beaten paths, I have an oversized tank on mine. The further you get from the border it may be safer for your rig.

I have full time insurance on mine and it cost way more then US, Jeeps are a collectors item in Mexico.

Regardless you can almost spend a life time down there and not see it all.
              I have never had a bad experience while exploring the Baja. My fiancee is from Mexico and next year we will be going down inside Mexico to her home town, this will be fun!!

Baja is fun!!
              97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
              WEB site

Comment

I absolutely love running Baja

And if you do a few things you never have trouble
                first, never mention you are american, they already know
                second, explore and enjoy, take in the local ambiance (no spell checker here) they want you to do as they do.
                third, learn to speak a little more each time you are there, they like to hear you speak broken spanish, it proves you are trying to be like them, not over them. and they will respond generously.
                Mexico is a country of people who grow up learning to cherish family and friends, you try to be their friend and it pays off 5 fold.

Comment

Originally posted by blackZZR
                  I absolutely love running Baja

And if you do a few things you never have trouble
                  first, never mention you are american, they already know
                  second, explore and enjoy, take in the local ambiance (no spell checker here) they want you to do as they do.
                  third, learn to speak a little more each time you are there, they like to hear you speak broken spanish, it proves you are trying to be like them, not over them. and they will respond generously.
                  Mexico is a country of people who grow up learning to cherish family and friends, you try to be their friend and it pays off 5 fold.
                  So true. Bust to say the least I'm a taco addict...there are great tacos down there!!
                  97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
                  WEB site

Comment

I'd love to do some baja exploring with you guys, please drop me a PM if you have room for me to go next time your going down there.
                    Lucas
                    Locked up fourbanger (Poor Mans Rubicon)

Comment

not a problem Lucas

Comment

Working...
                      X