Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South Coyote Canyon Trail, Anza-Borrego: 3/19

OK, I've been instructed to go 'wheeling and I think I shall heed that very sound advice!

The Missus and I were thinking about heading down to Anza Borrego to check out the wildflowers which are reportedly the best they will ever be in my lifetime and definitely the best in the last half century.

http://www.desertusa.com/wildflo/ca.html

We've never been there before, but we may have access to a tiny condo in La Quinta to hole up for the evening.

We were thinking about doing Coyote Canyon and Sheep Canyon. It doesn't sound like it will be super-technical but challenging enough to make it fun. With the Wife starting to show, I'd rather not engage in a lot of road-building or winching or parts replacement. Can anybody tell us what it is like?

I am amenable to other suggestions down in A-B and of course we'd enjoy the company of anyone who'd like to join us! :smile:
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

Sergey went to Anza Borrego last weekend and came back with these pics:

http://www.jeepbbs.net/forums/showth...?threadid=8972

Absolutely beautiful!

Let me see whats on our schedule next weekend. Quite honestly, Im in need of rocks not flowers. Is there a place where I can find both???

Tam
    2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
    Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

I'd be up for this run. I'll have a late Friday night though so it might have to be late Sat. morning or early Sunday for me. I'm probably looking at 2+ hours from home, LAX area to get there. Anymore detail? Thanks, sound like a nice run.

B&T TJ

Comment

The GF and I just did this trail a couple of weeks ago. There were tons of the desert flower fans heading up DiGiorgio (Sp?) Rd. The flash floods from the last year have really changed the routes of the trail as you traverse the water crossings. They're no longer as much fun as they used to be. It was fun to watch the people with their pricey shopping mall rigs wondering whether to use 4wd for the first time and head up Boulder Alley.

Dave

Comment

I am going up this weekend with a bunch of rigs. I dont know what trail the Squeeze is in, but we will be on that one. Maybe I will see you guys there. We are going to stay at the Stage Coach Trailers. Anyone else going to stay there?
          Supe
          97 TJ, 4" ProComp, 1" BL & MML, RE Adj. Control Arms, Rear 44 ARB. Front ARB. 35" MT/R's, York OBA
          Rock-it Man gear, STaK 3 Sp.

Comment

I am in negotiaionswith Sam 15 about either joshua tree or Anza borrego, we both will be bringing the our wifes as the main thing is to get them out wheeling and to see the flowers. It seems this is a fantastic year for it. Anyway this weekend is the target date, so we will be posting here also
            censored for having an opinion

Comment

If you go to JT let me know which day, I might be bale to tag along.
              Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

We will keep you informed Nagel

Comment

Sorry BlackZZR, can't make it. I have to take an exam on Sat, that comes along once every 4 or 5 yrs. I'll keep checking for future runs.
                  1997 TJ hp44/hp60-a lot of goodies

Comment

Wow I will miss your company, you make a nice wheeling partner.

Comment

OK, we decided on the South Coyote Canyon Trail.

Rally point is intersection of Henderson Canyon Road and DiGiorgio Road. We'll be in the tan TJ and burgundy XJ.

GPS NAD1927
                      N 33 18.08' W 116 21.96

Departure time is 3/19/2005 0900

CB Channel 4

Planned route is up to Middle Willows with a short side trip to Sheep Canyon Trail on the way back.

Total trip time is estimated at 6 - 8 hours. Expect plenty of water and fun splash time and of course plenty of flowers.

Hopefully it will not be too backed up with broken down LuxoSUV's.

Leave a PM if you'd like to leave a cellphone #, don't know how good coverage is in Borrego Springs.

PS. Where is Boulder Alley?

[weather]92004[/weather]
                      Last edited by jmbrowning; 03-16-05, 10:52 PM.
                      2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

Comment

jmbrowning
                        sent you a message but your box is full. Got your message last night thanks. Can you pm me your phone number? or email me back. I just had a question about the meeting point. I've been out to Anza a few times but not that familiar with it. I know where the circle is at Borrego Springs and the ranger station. How far is where your meeting at?? (henderson canyon rd and digiorgio rd intersection)
                        I'll have my cb on 4 as well

Comment

Howdy, i'll be coming down with Skeletor, so if any other LA area jeepers want to caravan shoot me a PM with your cell and we'll get in touch. We'll be leaving the area around 7am to reach the rally point.

Comment

http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?ed...w=1&name=&qty=

Comment

Fun trip! Nice to meet Manning, Victor, Viviana, and Andres! Fortunately, nothing more exciting happened than an encounter with un serpiente del cascabel.

Boulder Alley was fun and a little bit tricky for Deb, but only because she was unmotivated to undo her swaybar. Lockers however make up quite a bit for absence of articulation.

Lots of luxo-SUV's but none made it beyond Third Crossing. Large group of built FJ-40's frolickin together with wives and kids, but didn't make it past Second Crossing.

Flowers were amazing. The Mojave Road trip should be quite breathtaking if the wildflower forecast is correct.

Comment

Working...
                              X