Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Golar Gulch and the narrows

Was out playing around on the Gold Mines above Garlock . Saw a few people heading up Golar gulch towards the narrows. I had not gone up through the narrows before because I didn't know what shape or how hard it was and I still lack some recovery gear. I caught up with them and they invited me to tag along. It was a fun trip with a few good hard areas. all the hard areas had a bypass that we had to use a couple times. there was only one area where we everyone had to use the bypass. it was a pretty high waterfall. the other Jeep and the toyota tried it but it would have caused major body damage. there just wasn't a good line and the sand below it was almost like quicksand. All the rains have washed out a lot of sand in the valley so some spots are pretty rocky. other than the toyotas bent bumper and the suzuki samari's (stock) scrapes on the underbelly there was no damage. The samari made it through most of the way only having to be strapped a few times so a stock jeep should have no problem. just watch out for the panbusters. these are some pics of going up the small falls.

there are a few more pics at this link
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v678/d...ch%2027%20feb/
    Dennis
    04 TJ
    4.0/Auto
    RE 4.5 Long Arm
    Rock-It Man Rockers
    33x12.50 BFG A/T
    desert racing stripes, creased oil pan, and a new shiny transmission pan.

Right on! Looks like fun
    [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
    SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
    Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Where is that area, exactly?

Jeri Lyn
      Donate Life - Be a tissue, organ and blood donor

Comment

cetrov and I have ran that a couple times. Fun little trail.

It's about 5 miles past Last Chance Canyon. Lots of great sites to see.
        1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

Cool pics! Thanks for posting
          :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

directions from barstow

Jeri from Barstow take 58 to Kramer junction. go north on 395 till you pass randsburg and johannesburg, you will go down a big hill pass some railraod tracks and there will be a turn to the left as you are going up the other side of the valley. that is redrock randsburg road, you go down that a few miles and you will see a large settlement on the right side. There is a road before you get to the settlement that takes you by it and drops you down into the wash . I don't know if the road is marked because I always go into the gulch from some gold claims further down redrock road. Once you drop into the gulch you should pass a couple old mines on the right and a cabin on the left. Just go up the main wash and you will wind up in the narrows where the trail goes down into a rock valley . Thats where the fun starts. I don't know if the trail comes out at multiple locations but the trail we took brought us to randsburg inyoken road ,took a right , then it took us back to the 395 by the road to ridgecrest. Gps said total distance from narrows start to 395 was 15 miles. hope i didn't confuse you . send me a messege if you have any questions
            Dennis
            04 TJ
            4.0/Auto
            RE 4.5 Long Arm
            Rock-It Man Rockers
            33x12.50 BFG A/T

Comment

I know exactly where that spot is. The hole there is usually deeper. Did you go see the petroglyfs {spelling?}
              ASM REAPER BUGGY ON 40'S SOLD
              00 TJ ON 37'S SOLD
              97zj ON 36'S SOLD

04 CUMMINS CRAWLER HAULER

Comment

Originally posted by Deamer
                Jeri from Barstow take 58 to Kramer junction. go north on 395 till you pass randsburg and johannesburg, you will go down a big hill ....
                Thanks for the directions! Maybe I'll head over there this weekend.

JL
                Donate Life - Be a tissue, organ and blood donor

Comment

Jeri let me know if you plan on going, if I dont have to work this weekend I am planning to go. My Air Force job says I am working 7 days a week starting this weekend and ending in april and i am supposed to work at my second job too. Maybe I can get lucky and get a day off from both.

Chris , I didn't see the petroglyfs, i will have to look next time. are they right near the little falls? There was another falls section that was about 5 feet tall and the guys said that it used to be like 2 feet tall. maybe the sand from the old small falls washed down and filled in the big hole at this falls. I cant't remember which came first. I plan on doing a little more exploring next time i go up there, I wasn't going to make the guys wait around for me while i looked around.
                  Dennis
                  04 TJ
                  4.0/Auto
                  RE 4.5 Long Arm
                  Rock-It Man Rockers
                  33x12.50 BFG A/T

Comment

Im not framilar with the area but im going to be up there in a couple weeks, and Im intersted in checking it out... About how many miles is it from Barstow?
                    Lucas
                    Locked up fourbanger (Poor Mans Rubicon)

Comment

I made a mistake on the directions to there(and on the spelling). the left turn off of 395 is not redrock randsburg road, it is Garlock road. If you go to yahoo maps and search "goler heights" it shows a pretty good map . I guess goler heights is the little settlement i mentioned in the earlier post. If i am not mistaken where it says charly road is where it drops into the wash. you may have to zoom the map to see the dirt roads. according to yahoo it is 70 miles from barstow.
                      Last edited by Deamer; 03-03-05, 01:43 AM. Reason: spelling
                      Dennis
                      04 TJ
                      4.0/Auto
                      RE 4.5 Long Arm
                      Rock-It Man Rockers
                      33x12.50 BFG A/T

Comment

a short video from the trip.

http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=Mov00714
                        Dennis
                        04 TJ
                        4.0/Auto
                        RE 4.5 Long Arm
                        Rock-It Man Rockers
                        33x12.50 BFG A/T

Comment

Working...
                        X