Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anza Borrego mudfest, Feb 12 05

Just got in, had a blast, ran mud and water washes and Arroyos till we had no more clean wipes for the windows. And then decided to run more.
    Shot thru the badlands on a trail the ranger directed us to, seems it was to muddy for the BLMs trucks to get past and he wanted us to go through, After trying to get stuck, being within 3 seconds of a winch recovery and then saving face, we pressed on, 45 minutes later, and about 10 miles total for the day we emerged on the other side only to see the same ranger checking to see if we made it. I think major sections of that trail were washed away.
    ANYWAY pictures to follow
    Sam 15 will be posting them later
    He is quite the wheeling partner
    thanks for going Sam
    Last edited by blackZZR; 02-13-05, 10:47 AM.
    censored for having an opinion

The cleanup on that run doesn't sound fun! LOL Glad you guys had a blast, was that near the Truckhaven area?
    :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Actually I just finished a spray down, I figure 2 more of those before washing. Desert sand you understand

we went in off the 78 near borrego springs and came out on s22 on the northeast side. Ran san feleipe wash and a bunch of others and then crossed the badlands. THe ground felt like you were standing on a sponge it was holding so much water. we only used lowrange for coming down a few grades, besides that it was third gear in high range, sliping and fishtails were the call for the day.
      when we first got there we went to the visitors center and got a 1 dollar map. it had all the trails, funny though no topos, that can get important when you realise you are in the middle of ocotillo wells area and have your compass out trying to spot landmarks, oh well we found our way back to the mapped area and continued, My fault, I was in the lead having so much fun I was laughing so much and not reading the map. Sam 15 mentioned we should have gotten 2 maps, maybe he thinks I was having to much fun.
      I still can't get a smile off my face we had so much fun slipping around.

Comment

So me and blackZZR finished our run safe and sound...no broken parts and neither of us got stuck, althrough blackZZR tried at one point. Weather was perfect and we both had a great time. We'll be planning another run soon, lots of area to check out. Here are a few pics

Here we are (me white TJ) muggin are articulation. This was early in the run, notice the clean body

[IMG][/IMG]

This was about mid way in the run

and this was at the end of the run, just before we hit the pavement and headed for home.

1997 TJ hp44/hp60-a lot of goodies

Comment

Sarah, We were around the truckhaven area, judgeing by the arial phots in a previous post. We satrted at the 78, and I think that is south of truckhaven, and ended up at the S22 east of truckhaven, so we were around there. Our $1.00 map served us well considering it didn't give us much info. And clean up is still going on....$10.00 at the quarter car wash, that's 40 minutes of high pressure to get the caked on stuff off. Dont get me wrong, I'm not complaining, cause it's all part of the adventure...and lovin every minute of it!!

Comment

Sweet pics of some rockin' Jeeps! I was just thinkin' since we'll be down at Truckhaven soon, maybe we can check out some of the stuff you guys found. Although, now with the booth and everything, we might not get as much wheelin' in as I previously expected, but we'll see.

Comment

the trails

We got off road off the 78 on butte pass road, mild so we took a right on goat trail. Goat trail has a few nice switchbacks and down grades, plus it has a section where you will get a full X going on your articulation through some down hill woops.
              Sams Jeep has the Currie Antirock system and I was impressed watching that from behind him. I keeps the jeep stable but allows really nice flex. I think that will be on my list.
              Anyway after stopping at a overlook and mapping out a assualt on the badlands, I took the lead and we turned left on bow sand canyon, thats where you see us mugging up the flex. next a left on San Felipe Wash, this was where we started to get dirty, I had to stop right away and put in my windows. you really have to look for the turn onto Cut off Trail, but this was the gem of the day, washes and mud puddles up through the badlands, Watch your markers, we got out into Ocotillo around bank wash and had to backtrack. this area you are running down a wide wash slipping all over and was where we met the Ranger. After talking to him for a few minutes and being told he had to turn around, He told us to go ahead, try to follow the trail, it was going to be washed out and very muddy, he was going around, we should look for any stuck vehicles. He needed not to ask, in a few spots we barely made it and we were cutting new trail between the markers, everything in this area had been pounded by the rain.
              Right where you could see he turned around, Me being a idiot was following his line, (like he hadn't warned me) my right front tire slipped into a washed out mud whole and it was do or die. well 2 minutes later I was in full mudsling in reverse trying to rock out. Finally my 3 spinning wheels got enuff traction to get me out and we passed over 15 feet to the left and continued.
              A left on tule wash, This trail was gone, only 3 signs of where it had been, you are following a very narrow arroyo going left and right like a bucking bull noticing if a flash flood came down there would be no hope at all, it looked like so much water had come down it left berms and cut out banks in the 20 to 30 foot walls, finally we found Arroyo Salido and ran for the 22.
              A note Sarah, where we came out onto the 22, our map calls the area just north of that Truckhaven rocks. We spent around 4 1/2 hours running the washes. I am glad we didn't have to winch me because that area was about ankle deep in mud.
              Last edited by blackZZR; 02-13-05, 01:07 AM.

Comment

Take a look at your first 2 pix again. When they close the place down you will be left wondering why.

TREAD LIGHTLY..........

Jason
                The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT be infringed!!!!

Comment

good point, but check the route with a map. as you notice we were in and out of Ocotillo OHV area.
                  Last edited by blackZZR; 02-15-05, 07:57 AM.

Comment

Attention: Environmental Disclaimer:

No protected weeds were injured during the photography of these pictures. All wildlife and inanimate objects were removed or avoided during the photography of these pictures. Although, it may appear that no precautions were taken, and that the placement of these vehicles may have injured the aforementioned weeds, wildlife or inanimate object, rest assured that each vehicle was carefully guided into position and the area carefully survived before the photographs were taken. Additionally, you will be pleased to know that no flash photography was used, as flash photography has been known to contribute to early deteriorate of natural colors.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                      X