Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• El Centro area?

Superstition Mountain Open Area:
    The Superstition Mountains presents an array of challenging OHV riding opportunities. Cross-country OHV use is permitted within the boundaries of this area.
    Plaster City Open Area:
    41,000 acres of open desert provides a variety of terrain. Plaster City East and Plaster City West, are popular primitive camping and day use areas. Beware of adjacent military bombing ranges, limited use lands, and wilderness.

Thinking of checking these places out since i'm in San Diego.
    Anyone been there or have any recomendations?

I've got a stock 4 banger YJ, I'd have my Cell phone and would be wheeling with my wifey, Well actually more like offroad site seeing, with a little wheeling, nothing to terrible to scare the wife away from it, I'm trying to break her in slowly, no pun intended.

Any info would be great, Thanks.
    Last edited by BrockGrimes; 02-11-05, 11:05 PM.
    [COLOR=black]1979 CJ5, 4" Lift, 33", TBI[/COLOR]

Originally posted by BrockGrimes
    Well actually more like offroad site seeing, with a little wheeling, nothing to terrible to scare the wife away from it, I'm trying to break her in slowly, no pun intended.

Any info would be great, Thanks.
    At least she goes, mine won't even think of it, maybe sand dunes on a beach! Forget the dune part, level beach

As far as El Centro can't say I know that area except for Glamis dunes, open desert and bermuda grass fields. Sorry but do share what you find, post pictures.

B&T TJ

Comment

Plaster City, Ocotillo Wells and Anza Borrego Desert are all fun places to explore. Plaster City and Ocotillo are similar to Glamis...mostly quads and bikes. Anza Borrego Desert is fun, and for the most part, pretty mild trails. Make sure you know where youre going, its easy to get turned around in there.

Tam
      2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
      Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

Brock
        don't know what time you are up, but we will be in Anza Borrego saturday.
        will be on channel 4
        meeting at the circle around 9:30
        looks to be a solid desert mudfest, come on down and lets get dirty
        censored for having an opinion

Comment

Went out to inspect the jeep and get things ready for today (sat) found that my 4x vacum lines was cut. I hope it was just something I snagged riding around, I ran over a bunch of shat in the road from a car wreck the other day, maybe that was it but they are pretty clean cut. Gota fix that then I'm off to have fun, probably Wed 16th that's the next time I'm off.
          Haven't decided on an area yet but probably one of the ones above, which ever is closer.

Comment

Originally posted by BrockGrimes
            Went out to inspect the jeep and get things ready for today (sat) found that my 4x vacum lines was cut.
            Always replace with something stronger, cheaper and smarter

Homemade posi-lok (cable-actuated axle disconnect)
            Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
            2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

Comment

Finally got around to well finally had a chance to fix the 4x today, reconnected the to halves with some small rubber stuff, works good so far, took it out to a dirt construction site near the house to drive it around. Shifted in and out no prob.
              I picked up a book with trails in S CA today, yeah probably a waste but it gives me an idea of where to go I'm looking at driving over and checking out Los Pinos lookout, and or McCain Valley with the wife you know just something mild not to ruff just to get her interested. Anyone been to either of these places? Is the Los Pinos Lookout trail to bad for a Stock YJ, it's only got 29" AT tires and the tread is fair, lol. I've never been so I don't know what to expect. Also can you get cell phone reception out there? I don't have a CB yet and I figure a cell would be good if something happened. Any info would be great thanks.

Comment

You need a CB. End of story. Its required equipment on the trail. Cell phones dont work well in BFE. Also, when wheeling with a group, half the fun is the conversation between everyone along the way

The book purchase on the other hand was an excellent place to start!

Tam
                2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
                Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

A CB would be nice but can't afford it right now. As an IT I get enough radio talk to last me a lifetime, lol. It's a navy thing. Yeah the book helps a little as it's hard to get people to give accurate directions to some dirt, I just wish there was something closer to me than 50 miles. If anyone knows of a place to get dirty that in or near San diego that would rule!
                  The closest place I know of is Mc Cain valley and Los Pinos lookout and that's 50 miles easy. Hell I'd take a dirt parking lot at this point, lol. Just to get the tires dusty. :thumbs_up:

Comment

Originally posted by JeepGal
                    You need a CB. End of story. Its required equipment on the trail. Cell phones dont work well in BFE. Also, when wheeling with a group, half the fun is the conversation between everyone along the way
                    Tam
                    I agree with JeepGal a CB is a must, I've been stuck a few times and the cell didn't work

I got mine online @ RadioShack in December it was $25.00/magnetic CB antenna $30.00 (eventually purchasing a firestick etc.)
                    *Pebbles* 02 Sport Canyon Package
                    Rockers by JCFabAndDesign.com/XM Commander
                    Jeep Owner since '96 87YJ

Comment

Working...
                    X