Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SoCal Newbie would like to try Mojave Road (Also anybody free Labor Day?)

Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SoCal Newbie would like to try Mojave Road (Also anybody free Labor Day?)

Hi, I'm really interested in checking out the Mojave Road sometime this winter/autumn. No specific date in mind yet. Possibly a Sat/Sun/Mon trip.

Also available Labor Day weekend but Moab is a bit of a schlepp for me. Anybody interested in a more local overnight camping trip with a green newbie? I'm at the 605/210...ciao!
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

Rick did mojave road last year and had a great time. I'm sure we're both up for it! Maybe we can find out when the group that went last year is going, and join up with them. Or not, either way - let's dooo it!!
    :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

I am in the process of organizing a mojave road trip through another board, dates still have not been set due to me moving.

The road is generally in good shape, you most likely will not have to shift into 4wd. If Soda Dry lake is wet (even in the slightest), do not attempt to cross it....you will, at the least, spend a long time getting the salt out from under your jeep. It also has been known to get some pretty nasty mud holes that will create major headaches for those who don't see them in time. Also keep in mind that since you will be travelling through the MNP, your are limited to a group of 7 vehicles/15 people (the trip I am organizing is already full, with a small waiting list, I can add you to that list if you want...but chances are, everyone that signed up will show up), unless you get a permit. If you are interested in the history of the area, Dennis Casebier has a pretty good book out "Mojave Road Guide"....runs $20 - $25 on line.

If you are looking for general info, try these:

http://www.desertusa.com/mnp/mnp_main.html

http://www.qnet.com/~dpostma/mojave_road.htm

http://www.death-valley.us/postt311.html

The last one is a thread on the Death-Valley message board. "SteveS" (on the death valley board) is by far the most knowledgable guy I know about the Mojave (particularly it's history), and he is always willing to answer questions (or talk your ear off) about the desert. His E-mail address is in that thread I linked, if you have any questions about the trail. That message board also has a ton of good information about many of the desert routes.
      olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

that's some great info, i wasn't aware that you were limited to 7 vehicles. maybe we can be 1/2 hour behind you guys!!

just kidding!

as soon as we can pick a date, we'll start a list. goodtimes, when are you moving?
        :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

I am heading across the desert tomorrow evening.

There really isn't much problem when travelling in a large group through the MNP (can always just say one group caught up with the other), but camping is a problem, unless you stay in a campground (but what fun is that?!?). Last time I was out there we primitive camped next to a lava flow, it provided great shelter from the wind, and we "discovered" a plane crash about 100 yards up the lava flow! It was pretty cool to accidentally come across that. Of course the crash was originally discovered long before we were there....the engine and major pieces of the plane were removed, as were the dead bodies. We did some research into the crash, and believe we found theNTSB report, based off of the geographical location, description of terrain and type of plane.
          olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

I have been wanting to do the Mojave Road for a long time-

I'm up for it-
            Kirk
            1997 Jeep Wrangler

Comment

I could easily be persuaded to go.
              1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

i'm interested too, but i need some dates to see if i can fit it in.. the next couple of months are busy for me.
                >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Originally posted by Cetrov
                  I have been wanting to do the Mojave Road for a long time-

I'm up for it-

igofshn : I could easily be persuaded to go.

NAILER341: i'm interested too, but i need some dates to see if i can fit it in.. the next couple of months are busy for me.

This an Exploration trip more than a Hardcore wheelin trip ... Would be a fun run though , heard most 2 wheel drive vehicles can handle this run . As far as Camping Goes ......YOU BASTARDS running 35's , CAMP OVER THEIR !

JIM :{> <------- JEALOUS BASTARD !!

Comment

Mojave Road Trip

The group I run with, Inland Empire 4 Wheelers( www.ie4w.com) is doing a run over the Mojave Road in October, you can check the website calender for further info. Guests are always welcome!

John

Comment

Sounds like a plan Stan! When and which way, east to west, west to east?

Comment

Working...
                      X