Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cbremer
    this should be a multiple choice question...
    It's a valid and an important question, especially given the cold, impending darkness, distance from civilization, and depth of the snow.

If you don't know how to reseat a bead and want to play in hazardous conditions, you need to rethink one of the two.

But, There was not a tire in the bunch that I could not have reseated with no more air supply than a foot pump.

Envision a five gallon bucket upended. Place rim on it with the blown bead on the bottom. Gravity is already doing 90 percent of the work for you. If you still can't get an air seal. Push down on the edges of the tread with your hands. That will get the bead started on the parallel non sloping area of the inner rim and start the air seal.

Notice I said to envision a bucket, not use one. If you have one, great, if not, find a suitable substitute. If anyone would like a lesson, please contact me and I will be more than glad to teach you how to reseat a bead in the field.

This method will work in 99.99 percent of all tire and rim situations where a bead is blown.
    I am Savvy.

Comment

VERY cool Blaine...Thanks for sharing
      2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
      Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

Tire Chains

I have a complete set of UNUSED front and rear tire chains for 33's that I will let go for $50 - sounds like some of you might have needed them.

Comment

I would like to learn how to reseat a bead in the field.

I learned a few lessons during this situation for sure.
          Supe
          97 TJ, 4" ProComp, 1" BL & MML, RE Adj. Control Arms, Rear 44 ARB. Front ARB. 35" MT/R's, York OBA
          Rock-it Man gear, STaK 3 Sp.

Comment

Originally posted by TJSUPE

If you have a compressor with the volume (or tank) it's very easy. Just get the weight of the tire, clean out the bead if there's debris, start filling with air and adjust tire as needed to close the gaps where air is escaping.
            [COLOR=Red]
            Now, I will ask the question again since no one has answered (except for the guy that lost the tires).
            [/COLOR]
            [COLOR=Red]Why didn't you guys chain up??? [/COLOR]
            [COLOR=Red] '91 YJ 4.O, Auto, 4" Superlift, 33x12.50 MT/R's, Detriot Locker, Warn 9000XDI, York Air, SYE, Belly Up...[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by robert j. yates
              I have a complete set of UNUSED front and rear tire chains for 33's that I will let go for $50 - sounds like some of you might have needed them.
              someone should be JUMPING on this!
              >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
              ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341
                someone should be JUMPING on this!
                hehe, i already pm'd him.
                :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Originally posted by sarah
                  hehe, i already pm'd him.
                  you cant go wrong at that price, sarah
                  i'm sure he didnt buy junk either
                  >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                  ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

RSM ain't that far from Dana Point
                    I am Savvy.

Comment

Originally posted by robert j. yates
                      man.... i just bought a pair (not a set) of RUD chains for a hair under $100 with shipping. where were you monday?

Comment

Originally posted by cbremer
                        man.... i just bought a pair (not a set) of RUD chains for a hair under $100 with shipping. where were you monday?
                        Four Wheel Parts is just around the corner from you. Just picked mine up for $75 at the Redondo Beach store.
                        [COLOR=Red] '91 YJ 4.O, Auto, 4" Superlift, 33x12.50 MT/R's, Detriot Locker, Warn 9000XDI, York Air, SYE, Belly Up...[/COLOR]

Comment

I guess if I popped a bead I would increase the air pressure in the rest of the tires to assure no others popped.
                          Now, I will ask the question again since no one has answered (except for the guy that lost the tires).
                          I am responding to everyones suggestions while we were on the trail.
                          Quote 1- You are correct, Jeri Lyn and TJSupe( I think) both increased the pressure in there tires. Mine were never aired down, never see a reason to unless I loose traction.

Quote 2- Yes we did think about chaining up but the 4Runner that came to get Jeri and Supe out just got stuck and dug bigger ruts with the chains on.
                          The snow was too soft the chain to grab, if it was harder I would have definitely chained up.

Other than that it was a great opportunity to meet some people from the site.

http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/users/41805...9HN4BBkWEkIUjR
                          Last edited by hurley37; 01-08-05, 11:31 PM. Reason: pics

Comment

Hurely, THose pics didnt show up...

Good point, It was definatly a great shcance to meet new people.
                            Supe
                            97 TJ, 4" ProComp, 1" BL & MML, RE Adj. Control Arms, Rear 44 ARB. Front ARB. 35" MT/R's, York OBA

Comment

Originally posted by mrblaine
                              RSM ain't that far from Dana Point
                              Is that where you live?? Ya, thats super close. I will take you up on the offer if you have time.
                              Supe

Comment

Is that where you live?? Ya, thats super close. I will take you up on the offer if you have time.
                                I'll have some time after this weekend's trip to JV. Send me a PM with some contact info and we'll set you up with a lesson or two. I'll teach you how to bust down a tire and reseat the bead by hand.
                                I am Savvy.

Comment

Working...
                                X