Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Occatillo Wells?

Im just waiting to get my tow bar and Im ready. Im green, so would this be a good starting run? Hows the camping there? I like a few beers around the fire at night so driving home is a no,no!!

Ocotillo Wells / Anza Borrego / Truckhaven Hills (west of the Salton Sea off to the right of S22) are all fun. Ocotillo Wells is more of an open riding area for buggies/quads/dirt bikes. There's a neat trail called the "cut-across trail". It takes you from Ocotillo Wells to the S22. Anza Borrego is full of cool sandy washes, dead-end washes and mud/wind caves. Truckhaven is like the moon. Lots of twisty-turny, frame twister, off-camber mud hills & washes to explore.

Get yourself a map of the area. There's lots of scenic/historical sites to check-out. You could spend several days there to see it all.

I love it down there. I'm going to try to make it out there in a couple of weeks. I'll also be camping there for new years with my 5 year old son and a couple of buds.

Happy trails!

Comment

Let me know when you guys might want to head out there later this month. I just went down there on a surprise day run and it was awesome. I want to go again! I will post some pics when I get some on to the computer... email me at scott@4x4garage.com if you make a run.
      Scott Poliseno
      www.4x4garage.com

The trouble with political jokes is that very often they get elected.

Comment

I live in Calipatria during the week so if you guys are going out there let me know. Cause I would love to join and find some new trails and stuff.

Comment

just got back this evening. amazing place.

Comment

Tow hooks are always 1st on the list :wink: :wink:
            95 GC 4.5 RE,adjustable UCA/LCA,32's,456's,tru-trac up front,trac-lock rear,and other goodies

Comment

Where are these places? That pic witht he cliff wall thing looks like a cool place, i'd like to check it out. Would a stock YJ be ok out there?
              [COLOR=black]1979 CJ5, 4" Lift, 33", TBI[/COLOR]

Comment

nice pics
                I was thinking about over the dead presidents weekend
                and one question
                that rope being under the jeep?
                hope that wasn't a recovery pic
                censored for having an opinion

Comment

Yea i'm still building the rear bumper and yes we strapped the axle.
                  A stock YJ would be tons of fun with at least AT's. In a full day we ran about only a quarter of the trails so we're definitely going back for more.

Comment

Where is this place, I'm new to CA.
                    [COLOR=black]1979 CJ5, 4" Lift, 33", TBI[/COLOR]

Comment

out past Julian, if you want to check it out on a map. i had a book reccomended to me its called quide to southern california backroads and 4 wheel drive trails by charles a. wells. it shows pics, give directions, land marks, difficulty rating, time and distance of trails, how to get there. got it off of amazon.com for i think about $15
                      [COLOR=Blue]Perfection[/COLOR], [COLOR=SlateGray]The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.[/COLOR]

Comment

I have that book, it has some nice trails in it, infact it got me interested in the area. Last wekend Sam15 and myself ran a assualt on the north eastern side of the park and had a blast. there are pics in the trailrides forum. anyway we are now planning another trip down there in mid march, will be starting a thread about it when we set a date. We want to have a bunch to go with us this time.
                        The desert is a beatiful place to visit, and for the next few months it will be tolerable in temperature, we should all go enjoy it.
                        censored for having an opinion

Comment

You can make it an easy ride and go the beginning of April i should be ready by then
                          [COLOR=Blue]Perfection[/COLOR], [COLOR=SlateGray]The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by BrockGrimes
                            Where is this place, I'm new to CA.
                            Here is the new Ocotillo Wells SVRA map

http://www.desertusa.com/ovr/octwell_map.jpg

Here is a better map on how to get there with a gps

http://www.parks.ca.gov/lat_long_map....asp?lvl_id=43
                            Last edited by sdlinuxgeek; 02-26-05, 06:43 PM.
                            "Time is what keeps everything from happening all at once"

Comment

Working...
                            X