Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheelin Around Yuma, AZ

I'm heading down to Yuma over the Thanksgiving Holiday weekend. I'd like to get out and do some wheeling. My jeep's fairly built, so I think we'd be up for just about anything.

Other members of my family will be in a stock Ford Expedition, so they won't have the capabilities that I have, but they still have a 4wd and have been off-road a number of times.

Any info on any trails that's be suitable for either me, them, or both of us would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Flywaterguide

03 TJ with a few mods.

The entire Anza Borrego area has alot of cool trails. Most of them are pretty easy. The few exceptions I can think of are window rock, Heart Attack Hill, Diablo drop off has gotton REALLY easy....
    olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

better

theres very good truckhaven-type wheeling in the bomb ranges. Just outside the main gate of Yuma theres a small building (trailer) where you can go to gain permission to wheel out there.. the release form is 5 pages long and kind of funny, but the wheeeling out there is good. I was there for a couple months last year and I hooked up with some locals who showed me the trails.... They are in Afganistan right now, but I'm sure you could managge on your own.
      Of course, glamis is right there as well....
      It's not what you have. it's what you do with what you have.

Comment

I've heard of the Anza Borrego national forest. I'll look into it. Is there any trails in particular you can recommend?

Thanks,
        flywaterguide

03 TJ with a few mods.

Comment

Originally posted by Elusive
          theres very good truckhaven-type wheeling in the bomb ranges. Just outside the main gate of Yuma theres a small building (trailer) where you can go to gain permission to wheel out there.. the release form is 5 pages long and kind of funny, but the wheeeling out there is good. I was there for a couple months last year and I hooked up with some locals who showed me the trails.... They are in Afganistan right now, but I'm sure you could managge on your own.
          Of course, glamis is right there as well....
          Is that the...... Berry Goldwater range? That sounds like a good idea.

Thanks.

03 TJ with a few mods.

Comment

Yup, that would be the goldwater range. In addition to the long release forms, you must watch a video, and have to contact *someone* (forget who) to tell them when you are entering, how many in the group, the approximate areas you will cover, and your expected stay.

I spent a few days up there a few months ago (mostly in the Sand Tank mountains area), doing some exploring. Nothing really difficult (I did shift into low range one time), but very nice scenery.

As for Anza Borrego, I like to just wander aimlessly around, with no real trail plan, except to hit Heart Attack Hill. There are several maps out that show a good overlay of the area, and mark some of the historical sites (stage stops, ranches, etc) , major off-road obsticals such as HAH & Diablo Drop, some geological sites like the mud caves, elephant knees, anti-cline, etc. A good example would be the "map of the anza-borrego desert region and adjacent areas" published by the Wilderness Press.
            olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

Ah the lovely Goldwater Range. Fly, if you get JEEP MAGAZINE you will see Rick and I exploring this area (the Sonoran Desert National Monument) in a Jeep Liberty. The route we took was easy enough for a Liberty but I'm sure there is a ton more tucked away back in the hills.

You can also visit the maps/coords page to see the track we took:
              http://www.myjeeprocks.com/maps/

Area Photos

Jeep Mag Story
              :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Thanks Sarah!

Wow!.... You guys are famous! Nice work on the jeep story. :smile:

Best,

Flywaterguide

03 TJ with a few mods.

Comment

thanks fly
                  we had a blast and the area was just beautiful. it was also my first time seeing a saguro cactus, hehe.

Comment

Flywaterguide,

I too am unfortunately going to be stuck in Yuma over Thanksgiving. (The In-Laws are snowbirds)

Last year, my father-in-law and I did the Goldwater range in his stock 94' G.C. There wasn't anything too dificult, but it can be a fun drive through the desert.

If I can talk my father in law into taking out his new 99' G.C., maybee we could hook up. Let me know what day you plan on going out.

We did have to sign waivers before we could go out like the other post said, but if I remember right, he did mine for me before I even got there, don't remember exactly how, but next time I talk to him I'll ask.

Curt
                    71' Jeepster - Stock Jeep
                    70' Jeepster - Trail Jeep
                    73' Commando - Wrecked Heap

Comment

Originally posted by Bonecruncher
                      Flywaterguide,

I too am unfortunately going to be stuck in Yuma over Thanksgiving. (The In-Laws are snowbirds)

Last year, my father-in-law and I did the Goldwater range in his stock 94' G.C. There wasn't anything too dificult, but it can be a fun drive through the desert.

If I can talk my father in law into taking out his new 99' G.C., maybee we could hook up. Let me know what day you plan on going out.

We did have to sign waivers before we could go out like the other post said, but if I remember right, he did mine for me before I even got there, don't remember exactly how, but next time I talk to him I'll ask.

Curt
                      Hey Bonecruncher,

That's what I'm doing... seeing my Snowbird parents. I'll keep you posted as time moves on here. It may be tougher to go out and wheel than I thought, since my folks seem to by trying to monopolize my time.. as they are want to do... :mad:

best,

FG

03 TJ with a few mods.

Comment

I spoke with my father-in-law today, and asked him the procedure for getting the waiver to go out on the Goldwater range.

He thinks it has to be done in advance, so you would have to get someone to go to the Marine Corp base, get the waiver and send it to you, then you could send it back.

good luck,

Curt

Comment

I spoke with my father-in-law today, and asked him the procedure for getting the waiver to go out on the Goldwater range.

He thinks it has to be done in advance, so you would have to get someone to go to the Marine Corp base, get the waiver and send it to you, then you could send it back.

good luck,

Curt
                          We watched the video and got the permit on the same day when we were there a year ago.

Comment

Quote:

"We watched the video and got the permit on the same day when we were there a year ago."

Good to know that it can be done on the same day. I'll tell my father-in-law he's gettin' old.

Comment

Quote:

"We watched the video and got the permit on the same day when we were there a year ago."

Good to know that it can be done on the same day. I'll tell my father-in-law he's gettin' old.
                              DOH! Hahah don't tell him that! But yeah the movie was short and so was the release form. We were in and out of there in no time.

Comment

Working...
                              X