Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Status of Gold Mountain 3N69

Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Trail Discussion: Status of Gold Mountain 3N69

    I had seen an email from Greg Hoffman a while back that Gold Mountain and 3N02 were closed because of the recent fire.
    Does anyone know if this closure is still in place? I plan on calling the ranger station but thought I would reach out to the group here as well.

    Looking to go up to Big Bear this weekend with some friends and thought we would run John Bull. If the closure is still in effect we will probably head up 3N32 to catch 3N10. Is East to West still the direction typically run for John Bull? haven't run it in a few years and don't want to cause head on congestion if it can be avoided.

    Thanks,
    Mike

  • #2
    Update

    Originally posted by MIKE89YJ View Post
    I had seen an email from Greg Hoffman a while back that Gold Mountain and 3N02 were closed because of the recent fire.
    Does anyone know if this closure is still in place? I plan on calling the ranger station but thought I would reach out to the group here as well.

    Looking to go up to Big Bear this weekend with some friends and thought we would run John Bull. If the closure is still in effect we will probably head up 3N32 to catch 3N10. Is East to West still the direction typically run for John Bull? haven't run it in a few years and don't want to cause head on congestion if it can be avoided.

    Thanks,
    Mike
    Was able to contact the district office and the only trail that is still closed is Jacoby Canyon (3N61).
    The person I spoke with was not familiar with a preferred direction to run John Bull so if anyone knows the answer it would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Mike

    Comment


    • #3
      Been up a couple of times since the fire, good stuff is open and you can't hardly tell there was a fire unless you really look. I've yet to run JB East to west but but honestly it seems like like the only allure to going east to west is getting to go up the gate keeper. Because of that though that is the favored direction and where you will likely see the flow of traffic. I actually enjoyed the more gradual up and obstacles going from west to east, especially that ledge with the tree everyone smacks. It does feel like cheating driving down the West gate keeper though. I will also be up there on Sunday with some friends. We are starting at Mottino wash in the AM than making our way to Big Bear for JB, Holcomb, and Dishpan. Maybe we will cross paths.
      Last edited by aaronappel21; 09-11-17, 01:45 PM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Have only gone East to west
        Solor Yellow LJ Rubicion 4.5 SF SA. Body armor bumpers, Sliders, Warn RC 9.0, CB,Intake, Edge TB and programer.35" X Terrains, Some additional cage work

        Comment


        • #5
          I ran Gold Mountain weekend before last and it was as fun as always, maybe even a little rougher than last time I ran it a year ago. If you exit from Gold Mountain onto 3n16 and turn right toward Jacoby Canyon you will get a good view of the burn area.

          I have run JB both ways, East to West is a little tougher since you are climbing the East Gatekeeper and is considered the "normal" way by most people I talk to. That said, if out on a weekend I almost always run in to other vehicles either direction, not usually a big problem to pass by each other.

          Comment


          • #6
            I want to thank everyone for your comments. We will plan on running JB East to West, starting with going over Gold Mountain and then taking 3N16 to 3N02 and catching JB (3N10).

            Comment


            • #7
              Have fun! I joined up with aaronappel21's group for Sunday, maybe we will see you on the trail if you are out on Sunday.

              Watch out for Gold Mountain, broken jeeps all over that trail two weeks ago. Axle shafts, drive shafts...total carnage.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by jonah View Post
                Have fun! I joined up with aaronappel21's group for Sunday, maybe we will see you on the trail if you are out on Sunday.

                Watch out for Gold Mountain, broken jeeps all over that trail two weeks ago. Axle shafts, drive shafts...total carnage.
                Hey Jonah, how you doing? Just wanted to say hi. Driving a yellow LJ now, Kevin.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by 1 Bad F N Z View Post
                  Hey Jonah, how you doing? Just wanted to say hi. Driving a yellow LJ now, Kevin.
                  Hey Kevin, long time. Sounds like a nice new ride!

                  I am doing well, been really busy the last year or so. I haven't been out much but I have the same jeep but I upgraded to ls power. I keep thinking about Afton Canyon, maybe this year.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    If you're bored Kevin your more than welcome to join us.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X