Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Russ lead this trip a couple of years ago at High Desert Round Up 2014 on the lazy Sunday I think. This will be fun. I'm looking forward to seeing the area again. As long as we bypass that hideous dry lake bed.

Comment

Changed to "yep I can go" I will be bringing my new (to me) toy. First trip out in it. hopefully I wont be the only SUV there. Still a work in progress. finishing up front bumper this week end

Click image for larger version

Name:	FJ80.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	358389

Scott
      Come to the dark side.....
      We have Cookies!

Comment

Originally posted by Jason View Post
        ... This will be fun. I'm looking forward to seeing the area again. As long as we bypass that hideous dry lake bed.
        Jason,

I don't plan to cross the dry lake bed north of Hinckley that we crossed last time; instead, we will be crossing a different dry lake bed northeast of Inscription Canyon.

Russ
        If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
        KI6MLU

Comment

Hey Russ
          What is that large antenna on the back of your jeep?

Mike
          "They look Friendly" G. Custer

Comment

Originally posted by Deepwater View Post
            Hey Russ
            What is that large antenna on the back of your jeep?

Mike
            Mike,

That's a 2.4 gHz antenna that I use for ham radio broadband mesh networking. On the day that I took the picture we were using the broadband mesh network to receive web pages from a web server that was at base camp six miles away. I set up a web cam near my Jeep and the users at base camp were able to remotely control the web cam. The longest distance that I've been able to reach is 18 miles but other hams were able to use hi-gain antennas and go between Catalina Island and Newport Beach. I'll set up a network at IDTT and give you a demo.

Russ
            KI6MLU

Comment

Originally posted by Russ Chung View Post
              I'll set up a network at IDTT and give you a demo.
              Awesome. I'm interested too!
              If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Darn. I have to bow out. I am attending a memorial service instead.
                Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
                Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
                HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

Originally posted by nwoods View Post
                  Darn. I have to bow out. I am attending a memorial service instead.
                  Sorry to hear that Nathan. Sending condolences your way.

Comment

Count me in. I haven't been out in a while, and I need to get the new lift on my YJ tested out.
                    We tried to make the world idiot proof. Now we just have a world full of idiots.

Comment

Originally posted by Materdaddy View Post
                      Owl Canyon is one of the campgrounds I was looking at.
                      I am pretty sure I will be on this run and staying Friday night at Owl Canyon Campground. I can't leave La Habra until 6pm on Friday so if anyone is leaving sooner save me a spot.
                      Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

Originally posted by FishPOET View Post
                        I am pretty sure I will be on this run and staying Friday night at Owl Canyon Campground. I can't leave La Habra until 6pm on Friday so if anyone is leaving sooner save me a spot.
                        If we're there first, we'll save you a spot. If you're there first, save one for me as well. Do you know of a Barstow repeater we might be able to contact each other as we get closer?

Comment

If we're there first, we'll save you a spot. If you're there first, save one for me as well.
                          Will do!

Do you know of a Barstow repeater we might be able to contact each other as we get closer?
                          No. But I'm sure Russ does
                          Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

The WA6TST Barstow Flash II repeater has good coverage of the area beginning north of Victorville. Because of the hilly terrain, I don't know how well it covers the Owl Canyon Campground. 147.180+ PL 151.4
                            Last edited by Russ Chung; 02-01-16, 07:02 PM.
                            KI6MLU

Comment

Thanks Russ. I was going to look up a couple and program them into my radios this week.

Comment

Just in case anyone is interested there is a confluence not too far from the trail head. N35° 00.000 W117° 00.000

Comment

Working...
                                X