Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Run: Moab, Oct 2015

I spent a few weeks in the eastern US to attend Overland Expo East in Asheville, NC, visit my daughter near Charlotte, NC, attend a Army unit reunion in Columbus, GA and see the fall colors along the Great Smoky and Blue Ridge Mountains. On the way back, I ran some trails in Moab, UT with some MJR members.

On Friday, October 16, Rick (Rick) and Sarah (Sarah) Jacobs, Rick's parents, Rick Sr. and Debbie, Cliff Dell (CVD) and I ran Kane Creek. This picture was taken at the trailhead. The weather was partly cloudy and mild (still comfortable for wearing t-shirts). From l to r, Sarah's TJ, Cliff's TJ and my TJ:

The Kane Creek Trail starts about 10 miles south of Moab and follows Kane Creek up the Kane Springs Canyon southeast for 13 miles ending at US Hwy 191 about 16 miles south of Moab. Most of the trail is easy, but there are a few steep ledges so the overall trail rating is "difficult".

At this hill near the end of the trail we caught up with a group that had stopped to repair some suspension damage:

We finished the trail early in the afternoon and headed back to Moab.
    If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
    KI6MLU

That sounds like a great trip Russ. I was just out East and its a whole different world there. Very rural areas and great fall colors. Glad that you met up with the Colorado MJR gang and had a nice run there in Moab.

Mike
    "They look Friendly" G. Custer

Comment

On Saturday, October 17, Rick (Rick), Sarah (Sarah), Cliff (CVD) and I were joined by Aaron Bufmack (GoinCommando), his wife and kids, and Phil Harvey (gpphantom). We ran Poison Spyder Mesa to Golden Spike and then exited via Gold Bar Rim and Gemini Bridges Trails. The trail starts across the Colorado River about five miles downstream from Moab, and ends on US-191 about ten miles north of Moab.

Aaron's LJ on Poison Spyder Mesa Trail:

Rick and Sarah's TJ on Poison Spyder Mesa Trail:

l to r, Rick and Sarah's green TJ, my khaki TJ, Phil's red LJ, Aaron's white LJ, Cliff's green TJ:

View of the Moab Valley from our lunch stop on the Golden Spike Trail:

Discussing the best line to take at the Golden Crack. l to r Aaron (GoinCommando), Phil (gpphantom), myself and Rick (Rick):

Hank (Aaron's son) exploring the Crack:

Phil's (gpphantom) turn:

Cliff's (CVD) green TJ:

Rick and Sarah's green TJ:

Aaron's (GoinCommando) white LJ:

Jeep Arch:

Cliff (CVD) on Double Whammy:

Last edited by Russ Chung; 10-28-15, 11:47 AM.
      KI6MLU

Comment

On Sunday, October 18, we ran Flatiron Mesa. The trail starts about 18 miles south of Moab along US-191 and makes a loop to the west of the highway, returning to US-191 about 20 miles south of Moab. Here is Rick and Sarah's TJ near the start of the trail:

Lunch stop:

l to r, Rick (Rick) and Sarah's (Sarah) green TJ, my khaki TJ, Phil's (gpphantom) red LJ, Cliff's (CVD) green TJ, and Aaron's (GoinCommando) white LJ:

Hatch Canyon:

Checking out the Squeeze. l to r Phil (gpphantom), Cliff (DVD), Aaron (GoinCommando) and Sarah (Sarah):

Aaron spotting Rick through the Squeeze:

My TJ at the Squeeze:

Cliff's TJ:

Aaron's LJ:

On the way back to Moab, we visited the sand dunes on the Behind the Rocks Trail. l to r my khaki TJ, Cliff's green TJ, Phil's red LJ, and Rick and Sarah's green TJ. Aaron was playing on the dunes so he didn't get in the picture!

KI6MLU

Comment

Aaron (GoinCommando) left for home after Sunday's run. On Monday, October 19, Rick and Sarah, Phil, Cliff and I ran Steel Bender Trail. Rick's parents (Rick Sr. and Debbie) were passengers in Cliff's and Phil's Jeeps. Steel Bender runs along the ridge southeast of Moab. We ran the trail from north to south. The trail has nice views of the Moab Valley and features some gnarly steps and ledges.

I tried to take a bypass around one of the obstacles and managed to pop the bead:

With help of Cliff's CO2 tank, we re-seated the bead and continued the run:

This obstacle is known as "The Wall"

This obstacle is known as "The Fall"

We decided to take the "easier" line to the left of the Fall:

Creek Crossing:

We finished the trail in mid-afternoon. Rick and Sarah packed up and headed home. Cliff, Phil, Rick's parents and I headed for home the next morning.
          KI6MLU

Comment

Love the pictures! I'm still sorting mine.
            We had an amazing time out there with you guys. Miss you so much!
            :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Looks like a fun little trip.

Comment

wow... great shots Russ! Looks like a great trip with fun runs and good people!

Comment

Arg! You guys are killing me! Here I am stuck putting my hard top on, wire wheeling, and preparing for snow and you all are having fun.

Russ, I think you made a mistake in your descriptions. I believe you mean "Rick's TJ"; I never see Sarah driving it.
                  USMC F&AM

Comment

It was a great trip. Thanks for sharing the pictures Russ.

Comment

Great reports and pics!

With Mr. Green on jack stands for 10 months, this is a pleasure and a torture to see....
                      [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
                      Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
                      [/COLOR]

Comment

Mike - Now that you're back from your world travels - what's the ETA for seeing Mr Green on the trail?

Comment

Originally posted by TipsE-Z View Post
                          Arg! You guys are killing me! Here I am stuck putting my hard top on, wire wheeling, and preparing for snow and you all are having fun.

Russ, I think you made a mistake in your descriptions. I believe you mean "Rick's TJ"; I never see Sarah driving it.
                          Haaa someone has to take the pics.
                          :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Working...
                          X