Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MJR Adopt-a-Trail Work Weekend 11-12 July.

Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: MJR Adopt-a-Trail Work Weekend 11-12 July.

Last weekend the MJR Trail Crew went up to our adopted trail 3N93 (Holcomb Creek Trail) to do some maintenance. The west rock garden was in poor shape and after the 4th of July weekend it was expected there would be trash throughout the trail.

When we arrived at the west rock garden it was in worse shape than we had expected, so we decided that Saturday we would concentrate on the garden and pulling the stones back into place.

After we had started, I handed my phone to Tom to get some pictures of the action. Unfortunately I screwed up and didn't get any pictures of the rock garden before we started.

[CENTER]
    Took Tom a minute to figure out my phone.[/CENTER]

So the day went pretty much as normal for MJR work days. Everyone pitched in and we got some significant work done. The right side (as you come in) was pretty flat and unchallenging. This would not do; we needed to beef it up some.

[CENTER]
    The side was wide open allowing rigs to enter unchallenged. Alicia was slinging chain like nobody's business.[/CENTER]

So we used some creative angles to get things fixed up. Had to put in a little manual labor as well.

[CENTER]
    After Alicia shimmied up the side of the hill to affix a strap to a tree we were able to move the rocks into place much easier. Scott uses a boulder bar to convince a boulder this isn't it's final resting place.[/CENTER]

As the day progressed we started to get heavy traffic on 3N93 (which included more illegal UTV traffic) and it was time we moved out of the way. It was at this point Chuck decided it would be a great idea to drive over the hood of my YJ.

[CENTER]
    Lucky for me, Chuck had a steering issue and I was able to get extracted before he actually did drive over my hood.[/CENTER]

It was fun for a while to watch some folks struggle to get through. Kinda warms your heart to see your work put to good use.

On the 12th of July we started once again on the rock garden at the beginning of the day. We had plans to take it to the next level. We got caught up behind a group of folks out tackling trails with their new rigs built at a Huntington Beach Jeep dealership. There were a lot of very nice rigs which left with their first trail scars. The drivers ranged from novice to veteran and all made it through eventually. Very few on their first try which was a little satisfying I must say. Ryan got their contact info, seems like a group of great people.

While we were working on the Gatekeeper, Tom & Steve took a load of smaller rocks to the base of the shelf road to harden the stream crossing.

[CENTER]
    First load of rocks.[/CENTER]

After spending most of the morning on the Gatekeeper we took another load of rocks to the shelf road with Steve's trailer. We picked up a little trash along the way, please remind others to pick up their trash if you see them leave it.

[CENTER]
    Russ unloads rocks at the shelf road. Steve, Russ and Ryan distribute the rocks evenly at the base of the shelf road.[/CENTER]

Ryan and Russ did some gardening at the shelf road, and we noticed what looked like an area someone had driven off the side of the shelf.

[CENTER]
    Ryan and Russ putting the pruners to the overgrowth around the stream.

It appears someone may have gone over the side at this location.[/CENTER]

I will let Ryan talk about plans to repair the shelf road in this location. It's going to be a big job.

We moved through the rest of the trail pretty easily. When we got to the east end, we found that someone has once again attempted to dam up the creek for unknown purposes. This is illegal and some day I hope we find out who is doing this. You're a real pain in the rear buddy. So we tore it down and left the trail for the weekend.

[CENTER]
    This took some time to build, as you can see the water started to back up and pool at the crossing. The exact thing the Forest Service has asked us to keep from happening.[/CENTER]

We found a dozen or so beer cans and water bottles on the trail. Less than expected but still unnecessary. If you're worried you'll get caught with empty beer cans in your vehicle, stop drinking on the trail. We also were witness to one of the stupidest acts of off-road I've ever seen. A white 4-passenger UTV decided he would drive up the creek bed at the 3N16 crossing. Yes, you read that right. They drove their UTV into the creek and upstream about 40 feet. Sat there for a few minutes and then left. As we were trying to question exactly what the hell they thought they were doing they sped away yelling "I can't hear you!". It was an incredible display of stupidity and zero regard for the rest of the off-road community. Police our own, or lose our access. It's not difficult to understand.

I want to say thank you to everyone who came out and put in some muscle, sweat and maybe left a little skin behind. Volunteers are what keeps this trail open for everyone.

Full album of Pics and Tom's hilarious video.

Report is also up on the 3N93 Facebook page.
    Last edited by USMC 0369; 07-17-15, 10:40 PM.
    [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
    Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

That's a great write up with nice pics too.
    Thanks Nick

Steve
    All slow and no show

Comment

Originally posted by alittleoff View Post
      That's a great write up with nice pics too.
      Thanks Nick

Steve
      [COLOR="#800000"]Thank You for coming out and bringing the trailer Steve. See you again soon I hope! Next time if you get a Saturday maybe we can hit the Japanese place in BB.[/COLOR]

Comment

Russ and I went there, kinda disappointing though. I think that they have new owners.

Steve
        All slow and no show

Comment

Good job MJR. Thanks for all the hard work. I can't wait to get back to it. I miss the fun!
          [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
          [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
          http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

This week July 15th, Mike yellow jk and I went on holcomb and the gatekeeper was filled with trash, at least 20 beer bottles and beer cans, paper plates, lots of garbage. Well, we spent about half hour and picked all of it up. You all do such a great job and then people come out and trash it. We were pissed but glad we were able to clean it up. I really don't know how people can just leave all their trash all over the rocks and creek like that...UGHH pisses me off so Much!!

Comment

Originally posted by Red rubicon View Post
              This week July 15th, Mike yellow jk and I went on holcomb and the gatekeeper was filled with trash, at least 20 beer bottles and beer cans, paper plates, lots of garbage. Well, we spent about half hour and picked all of it up. You all do such a great job and then people come out and trash it. We were pissed but glad we were able to clean it up. I really don't know how people can just leave all their trash all over the rocks and creek like that...UGHH pisses me off so Much!!
              [COLOR="#800000"]it only takes a small portion of our community to make us all look bad. Thank you very much for cleaning up the mess. It gets very frustrating to say the least. [/COLOR]

Comment

Thank you all for working so hard to keep our sport in a good light. I've never gotten to run Holcomb (it was closed from fires when we lived there); but someday I plan to do it. Even if I just have to hitch a ride in a passenger seat.
                USMC F&AM

Comment

I saw you guys while airing down that morning. There was a lot of jeeps heading to Holcomb creek so my buddy and I ended up going down dishpan instead and had a blast. Thank you guys for all your work to keep the trail clean and in good shape, you guys rock! I don't understand how people can leave their trash behind and not feel terrible about it? I was taught that you always pack out your trash and pick up at least 1 extra piece of trash so you really are leaving it better than you found it.

Comment

Working...
                  X