Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Adopt-A-Trail Run to 3N93 Holcomb Creek

[COLOR="#800000"]Unless you live under a rock, which I'd gladly drive over. You know that MJR has adopted the Holcomb Creek Trail through the SBNF Adopt-A-Trail program. I hadn't been on the trail to do any maintenance for quite a while.

Kurt & I have been busting our humps in the garage pretty steady and we needed to get out and put some tire into the dirt. We have been talking about the need to get up to Holcomb Creek and check it out. So last weekend we loaded up the ladies and the puppy and headed up into the clouds.

The trip up was pretty nice.
    [CENTER]
    The Spanish Broom was in bloom and smelled like heaven.[/CENTER]

We actually went by Gold Mountain before heading over to 3N93. It was just too great a day to not have a little diversity.

[CENTER]
    Barb took a nice pano looking down at Baldwin Lake.[/CENTER]

Unfortunately, at the end of Gold Mountain we stumbled upon this little mess, which was too much for us to collect at the time.

[CENTER]
    About 50 meters west of this sign, on the right side just off the road.

Pigs...plain and simple.[/CENTER]

Frustrated with this we headed over to 3N93 expecting the worst possible scenario. What we found was a combination of what we expected and a little bit of a pleasant surprise.

Coming in from the East Entrance we stopped at the water crossing to inspect for the usual attempts to block the creek for whatever purposes. There was evidence of past attempts, to include the movement of the logs which had been placed into the ground uphill to prevent the development of a bypass. But overall, not too bad and the creek was flowing freely.

[CENTER]
    Came across this little guy hanging out in the middle of the pathway.
    Kurt ushered him away from the vehicle crossing for his safety.
    [/CENTER]

Just up around the corner we found evidence of camping and campfire rings. We busted these up and made note of them.

[CENTER]

These had been used some time ago, pressing the need to get up there more often. [/CENTER]

As we left the area used for camping, we encountered a couple of JKU's and a JK coming from West to East at the gatekeeper. We waited our turn and mentioned to the group that we had noticed some white trail flowers next to their Jeeps which received a reply of "yeah, nasty people." So, fast forward past me getting my butt handed to me on the gatekeeper and we are climbing the hill just past when this couple of rigs DUMPS about 25 beer cans and other trash right there on the trail. As Kurt yells at them they drive away. Jeep people just aren't what they used to be I guess.

Next we encountered a Polaris SidexSide at the bottom of Mogul Hill. No plates on the vehicle so we "gently" advised the driver of the illegal status of what he was doing and we continued on the trail.

At the top of Mogul Hill we ran into two Jeeps headed toward the East Entrance and asked them if they would be kind enough to pick up the trash left by the hillbillies (sorry hillbillies I don't mean to insult you). They said they would help us out, and I hope they read this write-up because you guys saved us driving back around to pick it up; and I'll get you that swag we discussed.

From Mogul Hill we moved slowly and methodically noting how things are doing. We took a few minutes at the log roadbed we installed and were pretty impressed with how it's holding up, and that it hasn't become campfire wood yet. However, someone has stolen or moved the Tiki's.

[CENTER]
    The log road is holding up well.[/CENTER]

As we got to the Middle [Earth] Rock Garden we encountered some familiar faces as IH8RDS (Lorie) was taking a group from Dishpan through Holcomb Creek. The group was just finishing up and getting ready to move on. It's great to see so many people using the trail getting some enjoyment out of it.

[CENTER]

Not sure if all of these rigs were in her group, but they seemed to be having a good time.[/CENTER]

We moved along a little quicker to the West End and noted the need to do some brushing work once you get into the unburned areas.

Once we got to the West End, we were greeted by yet another surprise. It appears that someone has used the trail sign as a winch anchor and drug it completely out of the ground. The sign is damaged beyond repair and will need to be replaced. The West Gatekeeper is again in need of the rocks being drug back into place.

[CENTER]

Sometimes, I just don't understand the WHY.[/CENTER]

Still, it was a great day on the mountain and I know I needed it. It won't be as long before my next visit.
    [/COLOR]
    [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
    Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Thanks Nick and Kurt. I been busy with promotional studies so my spare time this summer has been quite limited. I look forward to July when things get back to normal and I can hit the trails again. Great recon run

Comment

Great report!
      [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
      Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
      [/COLOR]

Comment

Sounds like such an awesome day. Lovely report!
        :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Hello Nick,
          I wrote this on another post thinking it was you guys...

"I believe it was you and two others on Holcomb Trail we ran into, I really appreciate what you guys are doing and didn't mind giving you guys a hand; after our introduction we collected about half a dozen beer cans along with a couple red drinking cups, it's a shame how inconsiderate some people are. Well, it's been about 4 years since I've been on this site and created a new profile (previous one may have been deactivated for non activity). Thanks again and look forward to future trail runs and possibly playing a more active part of a clean up with you guys!

- Steve"

Thanks again for your efforts to keep the trails clean & open, I'm looking forwad to doing some trails with MJR in the near future.

P.S
          I was able to find my old profile (951 Rubicon 01) I created a new one before I found it using a old email address.

- Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Rubicon DNA View Post
            Hello Nick,
            I wrote this on another post thinking it was you guys...

"I believe it was you and two others on Holcomb Trail we ran into, I really appreciate what you guys are doing and didn't mind giving you guys a hand; after our introduction we collected about half a dozen beer cans along with a couple red drinking cups, it's a shame how inconsiderate some people are. Well, it's been about 4 years since I've been on this site and created a new profile (previous one may have been deactivated for non activity). Thanks again and look forward to future trail runs and possibly playing a more active part of a clean up with you guys!

- Steve"

Thanks again for your efforts to keep the trails clean & open, I'm looking forwad to doing some trails with MJR in the near future.

P.S
            I was able to find my old profile (951 Rubicon 01) I created a new one before I found it using a old email address.

- Steve
            [COLOR="#800000"]Awesome that you found your way back to MJR Steve. I sent you a message to "Rubicon DNA", but was wondering which account you'd like to use going forward?

We seriously appreciate those that pitch in to help keep Holcomb Creek (and the rest of the forest) clean and open for everyone. You Rock![/COLOR]

Comment

thanks for all this.
              I make it a point to pick up all the trash I see since I have a JKU and plenty of room.
              last time on Gold mountain I picked up a Gatorade bottle in the middle of the trail.. that someone had used to wipe themselves with. As I stood there in the trail with someone's shit all over my hands. I wondered too.. who does this? even in my younger days we never did stuff like that. the fire rings.. I understand. the water bottle left behind by a kid that u didn't see.. I understand
              but dumping crap on the trail? if you want the trail to look like your shithole home, maybe you should just stay there. /rant
              It's not what you have. it's what you do with what you have.

Comment

Originally posted by Elusive View Post
                thanks for all this.
                I make it a point to pick up all the trash I see since I have a JKU and plenty of room.
                last time on Gold mountain I picked up a Gatorade bottle in the middle of the trail.. that someone had used to wipe themselves with. As I stood there in the trail with someone's shit all over my hands. I wondered too.. who does this? even in my younger days we never did stuff like that. the fire rings.. I understand. the water bottle left behind by a kid that u didn't see.. I understand
                but dumping crap on the trail? if you want the trail to look like your shithole home, maybe you should just stay there. /rant
                Yep. That is the type of stuff we find almost every trip. People buy Jeeps and Yota's and go out to be OFFROADERS. Yet they have no idea what they are doing, or seem to care one iota about the environment or other people's ability to enjoy what they just took a dump on. I used to think it was the 1%'rs doing this, but after watching the particular clowns in a $70,000 JKU rig leave beer cans and trail lilies everywhere on Holcomb, I fear that we may be seeing an new breed of stupid. Stupid with money and no morals.
                [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by RAT View Post
                  I fear that we may be seeing an new breed of stupid. Stupid with money and no morals.
                  Sadly Kurt, as accurate as your analysis is we are now the 1%.

Some areas have jail terms (good luck, I know) for people caught in the act of illegal dumping. Who could we contact to set up something to post at the trailhead that if they are seen dumping, there will be fines/jail time? Of course this will require a photo proof with their license plate, but with as blatant as they are being; how hard could it be to catch them in the act?
                  God forgives, rocks don't
                  -sons of thunder

Comment

It sounds like you guys need to do this;

http://www.easternwashingtonadventures.com/ykfwa/
                    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fores...98?pnref=story

which has now morphed into an official program;
                    http://www.dnr.wa.gov/RecreationEduc...eer_watch.aspx

When we started the Forest Watch program, we briefed the PNW4WDA, clubs, and had booths at all 4WD events. We handed out thousands of these decals which we put on our rigs so forests users could see that we were out there with our eyes open. While on the trail, people would stop me, ask what the decal represented, and after I explained, would want a few which I would give as I carry a few with me. Since inception, litter and damage to the forest dropped dramatically.

"Forest Watch Volunteer Program" is open to everyone nationwide. All outdoor enthusiasts including campers, hikers, bird watchers, horsemen, fishermen, hunters, ATV riders, 4 wheelers, snowmobilers, etc are encouraged to participate.

This is a volunteer program for those who are willing to report violators that break the rules on our Public Lands. If people know we are watching then hopefully we can lessen damage done and keep access to our public lands open and reduce the amount of taxpayers money being spent for repairs to these areas.

No meetings, work days or membership dues are required. Just Vigilance and a willingness to take pictures of and report offenders caught in the "act".

The "Forest Watch Volunteer Program" is a nationwide program.
                    --------------------------------------

Conduct of a Forest Watch Volunteer

All Forest Watch volunteers are expected to obey the rules and laws of our public lands while recreating therein. Volunteers who display the Forest Watch Volunteer Decal are expected to set a good example by abiding by the tenets of Tread Lightly and by conducting themselves in a manner that does not discredit the Forest Watch program. Displaying the Forest Watch decal is not a license to break the laws.

As a volunteer you are being asked to be vigilant for those that would do damage to our public lands and their resources. If a volunteer observes someone intentionally doing damage to public lands by vandalizing property, mudding, forging new trails, cutting down trees, starting fires, etc. they are asked to take photos getting as much information as possible including but not limited to vehicles and or individuals doing the damage and whenever possible recording license plate numbers.

Comment

I don't mean to come off rude, but Forest Watch sounds sort of "big brother" ... tattle on your neighbors sort of thing.

Comment

I'll be rude, don't complain about people making a mess of things unless your actually willing to do something about it.
                        Try to educate, if that doesn't work, RAT THEM OUT TO LAW ENFORCEMENT! Some people will not change their ways unless it's done the hard way.
                        FW started out as an unofficial grass roots program. It only became official after the program had done it's job, hence the broken links at the original url site. That official site in only for our state forests. All of our forests went from a totally out of control mess to one of near purity in about 6 years. Now everyone knows that if you do criminal activity, you can get turned in by possibly anyone. All user groups in WA now promote the tenants of the old FW.

Comment

I agree, but this country has spent decades crying to the government to solve our problems. I don't believe we are better off!

Just like the neighborhood watch program, it seems like another tactic to divide us all, instead of bringing people together.

That being said, I'm glad it's working for you guys.

Live free or die.

Comment

[COLOR="#800000"]Forest Watch sounds very much like the OHV Volunteer Program in the SBNF. These are groups of volunteers that roam around the forest doing exactly what it sounds like Forest Watch is doing. They provide a great help to the Rangers and LEOs to keep things under control (as best they can). Doug

I have no problem with reporting license plates to the LEOs. If I'd have gotten the pricks who dumped all that trash on the trail's plates the LEO's would have it right now.[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by USMC 0369 View Post
                              [COLOR="#800000"]Forest Watch sounds very much like the OHV Volunteer Program in the SBNF. These are groups of volunteers that roam around the forest doing exactly what it sounds like Forest Watch is doing. They provide a great help to the Rangers and LEOs to keep things under control (as best they can). Doug

I have no problem with reporting license plates to the LEOs. If I'd have gotten the pricks who dumped all that trash on the trail's plates the LEO's would have it right now.[/COLOR]
                              Agreed, but I've seen Doug in action. The OHV program seems to promote trying to solve the problem instead of simply reporting someone by covertly taking a photo of them. While I understand that confronting people is not always the best answer either, it seems like there's a time and place for turning someone in to the authorities.

We do need to solve these problems. I'm not trying to make it out like someone dumping trash should get away with it. But gosh, there's cameras at the mall, major intersections, city streets, even parks nowadays. At the airport the announcements try to get you trained to "tell" on anyone for anything. Even at Home Depot last week, they were doing the "see something, say something" bit on the intercom. While it seems good-hearted, I think it's just setting up the whole system for government-reliant society.

Sorry for being a turd, I'm just not a fan government programs.

Comment

Working...
                              X