Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Panamint Valley Days 2014

We had perfect weather all weekend. We had a pretty good amount of MJR members there. I led Cummins Cut Off and was able to run three other fun scenic trails too. Here are a few photos.We went to where they Caught Charlie Manson at Barker Ranch. We had fun shooting and Mike is a good shooter.

Great pictures and looks likes lots of fun. Thanks for sharing.
    IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Thanks for the pictures Kevin. I enjoyed talking with your Dad.
      Great time with you all.

Mike
      "They look Friendly" G. Custer

Comment

Originally posted by Deepwater View Post
        Thanks for the pictures Kevin. I enjoyed talking with your Dad.
        Great time with you all.

Mike
        It was fun hanging with you too Mike. It was a fun weekend and amazing weather.

Comment

This was my sixth trip to the Panamint Valley in November, and the weather was the best yet. The skies were sunny and clear, the wind was light, the daytime temps were in the 80s and the nighttime temps were in the 40s. We didn't see any airshows during the event this year; I wonder if the sequestration budget cuts had anything to do with it.

On Friday, I joined the Pleasant Canyon run. We had fewer than ten vehicles, including the trail crew, so we made pretty good time. This is the view of the Panamint Valley as we ascended the Pleasant Canyon trail.

We stopped to explore Claire's Camp:

At Rogers Pass, we had a clear view of Death Valley and beyond to Mt. Charleston.

We saw some petroglyphs and some natives in Middle Park Canyon:

We had time following our return from Pleasant Canyon to go to Lookout City to watch the sun set over Panamint Valley:

If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
          KI6MLU

Comment

On Saturday, instead of participating in one of the organized runs, a group of us chose to explore Darwin on our own. Our first stop was at Father Crowley Point which overlooks the Panamint Valley:

We explored Centennial Wash, Darwin, the Koi pond and hiked to Darwin Falls:

KI6MLU

Comment

looks like a great time!
              [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
              www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Comment

My "other" Jeep club will be visiting the northern part of Death Valley in 2015 so following the end of Panamint Valley Days, we set off to pre-run our trip to the part of Death Valley National Park that lies north of Highway 190. After filling up with $5.99-9/10 unleaded regular gas at Panamint Springs Resort, we headed to Saline Valley Warm Springs via South Pass, Hunter Mountain, Hidden Valley, Teakettle Junction, the Racetrack, and Lippencott Grade.

Upon arrival at the Springs, we enjoyed a wonderful soak in the hot tub. The next morning, we continued our pre-run by taking Steel Pass to Eureka Dunes and then to Mesquite Springs Campground.

KI6MLU

Comment

On Tuesday, we visited Ubehebe Crater and Scotty's Castle, refueled in Beatty, NV, visited Rhyolite and Titus Canyon before camping at Furnace Creek.

I drove home on Wednesday.
                  KI6MLU

Comment

Great Photos Russ, I wish I had more time, but had to get back home. We are thinking of doing a trip there in early May again. I really love Panamint Valley. A few more pics.

Comment

Awesome pics everyone, it's so nice to see some sand and rocks... we have been covered in snow for a week!
                      :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Originally posted by sarah View Post
                        Awesome pics everyone, it's so nice to see some sand and rocks... we have been covered in snow for a week!
                        Har har harrrrrrrr. White, cold sand. Better you than me
                        [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                        [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                        http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Yeah, Nice shots!!
                          I have not done Panamint, or even much of the DV experience, but am starting on the Mojave Road next month, and that will be my third time in a year!!
                          Yeah, I love that area, and since it is so close to me, I want to go see some more of the historical stuff, before the vandals destroy it all, like they have in the El Paso Mtns, and Red Rock.

Comment

Originally posted by slickrock steve View Post
                            Yeah, Nice shots!!
                            I have not done Panamint, or even much of the DV experience, but am starting on the Mojave Road next month, and that will be my third time in a year!!
                            Yeah, I love that area, and since it is so close to me, I want to go see some more of the historical stuff, before the vandals destroy it all, like they have in the El Paso Mtns, and Red Rock.
                            We are planning a trip in early May for MJR members. We will post it way ahead of time. I love the area and know my way around pretty well now after eight years going there.

Comment

Working...
                            X