Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: St George, UT

Just back from a week in St George/Hurricane area. Lots of great trails by Sand Hollow State Park. The OHV area is adjacent to the park. There are several named trails; Phil & I ran Double Sammy, Maze, Milt’s Mile, and West Rim Lower.

Phil & me. This was a FMCA event (the same group some of us crossed paths with at Florence Junction last year):

Pretty views:

Interesting trails. Some of it was like a red version of Cougar Buttes, but a bigger area:

Here are a couple videos of typical obstacles (all on The Maze):

Typical climb on the Maze

First drop-off on the Maze. Note on this video – we focused on controlling the front tires as they dropped over the ledge. After watching the video a couple times, I see the rear passenger tire was too high and made this “more vertical” than necessary. A good lesson on the need to pay attention to the rear line also.

Another climb

Several trails started or ended in sand dunes (probably why flags are required):

Zion NP – about an hour away. We took a day off from off-roading and visited the park. We took a short hike to the start of the Narrows (didn’t have cold water gear to do any wading), then went on 2 hour hike up Hidden Canyon Trail. Zion was a “must visit” given we were so close.

Nice pictures. I have been there a few times and the wheeling is great. The FMCA group has gotten pretty large. I bet there were not too many campsites left.
    Rich

Comment

By the way, Milt owns Dixie 4x4 in St George and has worked hard to keep that area open. Super nice folk.
      Rich

Comment

Rich – Yes, they get good turns outs. There were 60 – 70 rigs at the RV camp in town, and 10 – 12 of us at Sand Hollow CG. With 8 – 9 different trail runs each day, crowds weren‘t a problem (we only had 4 rigs the day we ran Maze).

We met Milt (who Milt’s Mile was named after) and a couple other employees/family members from Dixie 4x4. They gave a presentation one evening on the on-going battle to keep the St George open areas open. FMCA, as a club and individuals, donated ~$4k to their non-profit land use lobbying organization. Several club members have known them for years, all had the highest regard for them and their shop.

Comment

The Hurricane/ sandy hollow area is on my list of ohv to visit. Might just go there in January when there is another organized event

Comment

Originally posted by CVD View Post
            Rich – Yes, they get good turns outs. There were 60 – 70 rigs at the RV camp in town, and 10 – 12 of us at Sand Hollow CG. With 8 – 9 different trail runs each day, crowds weren‘t a problem (we only had 4 rigs the day we ran Maze).

We met Milt (who Milt’s Mile was named after) and a couple other employees/family members from Dixie 4x4. They gave a presentation one evening on the on-going battle to keep the St George open areas open. FMCA, as a club and individuals, donated ~$4k to their non-profit land use lobbying organization. Several club members have known them for years, all had the highest regard for them and their shop.
            Kim Pollock (pres of the 4x4 part of FMCA) used to be in our On the Rocks club. I joined the FMCA group after the Parker event earlier this year. Seems like a nice group. I think it is over 400 member families. I think we have 5 other OTR members in the FMCA group.
            Rich

Comment

Love the pics and the area looks gorgeous. I guess we must have driven right past all of this a bunch of times on our way to Moab! I'll have to get this one on the list.
              :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Great pics Cliff. Looks like a fun area. I have added it to the bucket list.
                Check out .

Comment

Working...
                X