Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Discussion: Koh 2015

Has anyone here been to any of the KOH events? I'm planning on going and would like to get any tips on what to do. I'm from the mid-west and I'm sure the camping arrangements are a little different lol.

I have been to all of them and have worked as a volunteer at many. I am out there for a week and a half. I have a motorhome, so life is not miserable. The weather can be anything in February; it can be rainy, windy, cold, hot and any combination. The nights will be cold (30s to 20S).The best thing would be to rent a motorhome. If you go to Pirate you will find threads on rentals. They even have them delivered there, so you don't have to go pick up. There is something going on all week. Check out the schedule of events. There are a lot of vendor displays and good prices. There are food vendors. I think their prices are very fair for the location. It is open desert, so you can camp anywhere. They have lots of port-a-potties in the fenced in area and clean them a couple of times a day. You can wander the pits and look at all the cars and talk to the folk. Everyone is nice. You will see teams helping each other. They have been having around 30,000 people show up.
    Rich

Comment

I've been to KOH the past couple years. Its getting busier over time, so expect more people this year than last, etc. Here's a good reference about camping:

http://www.griffinrad.com/kingoftheh...ex.php?tid=100

My group usually camps up on the western side of Hammertown, which doesn't seem to get as dusty. Anything on the other side is a dust bowl. Lots of folks camp up and down the main road into camp - plenty of good spots. While there is a service that sells firewood, fresh water for RVs, etc, it gets pricey if you need that service all week. RV pumping is available too, but we've managed to not need it by using the port-a-potties mostly and only using the RVs for showers/cleaning up. The grey water is generally ok to discharge. There's LOTS of traffic around the area from mid-week thru race time. Keep your head on a swivel. Its easy to loose track of people in the dust. Not a good place for dogs. If you bring 'em, leash at all times. We usually get there the Friday/Saturday before and its fairly mellow for the first couple days and you can do lots of trails without running into racers pre-running. Its a good time.

Tent camping can be rough when the weather gets bad - very strong winds sometimes. My buddies have tent camped and I watched them just fold flat or slap the crap out of 'em all nite even with rigs around them as a wind break.
      Last edited by Rock Dog; 10-31-14, 07:07 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. I like the idea of setting up an RV. I guess I need to start planning!

Comment

Working...
        X