Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: New Zealanders conquer the SBNF!

My friends from New Zealand, and members of the MJR forum, wanted to go off-roading while visiting the USA, so I thought that the best choice in August would be trails in the mountains. We had planned to run Gold Mtn and John Bull, but when we arrived at Gold Mountain, there was a VERY large group ahead of us.

After some discussion, we decided that we would go to John Bull to start instead.

We had Sharon (as the Photo- and Videographer), Jason (Tycho) and Liz (our Kiwi friends), and me in Mr. Green:

Art (aw12345):

Jason (Jason):

Kurt (RAT) and Amber (OffKamber):

Steve (alittleoff) and his brother Kevin:

And Nick (USMC 0369):

:winkSorry Jewy, I just couldn't resist!) :hide:

We missed Daniel Buck. He was running late and we couldn't reach him to let him know the change in plans. He said that he had a good adventure in the mountains though, so I hope that he shares his story on this thread.

The Gatekeeper on JB had it's tricks to play on all of us, but the climb to the top had folks stalled for various reasons. For me, it was a nasty rock in the Mogels. This is clearly NOT the right line:

With Art's help, I found the line that got me up the fun stuff:

Art played a different line and made it work:

After everyone made it to the top, we stopped for some lunch. Everyone got some time to chat with our New Zealand MJR folks, Jason and Liz:

And we had photo bombs:

And intimate moments:

I let Jason (Tycho) drive the rest of the trail after lunch and I thought he did a marvelous job considering that he doesn't get much (read as 'near any') rock crawling in NZ.

With four people in my poor worn out Jeep on JB, we decided to ask the girls in the back what they thought of the JB trail. The answer was interesting:

Is that good or bad??

Eventually, we made it off the trail:

From there, we headed for Holcomb Creek trail. I drove to the Middle Rock Garden and then let Jason take over again:

Everyone had fun in the Middle rock garden:

At the west end rock garden, Jason found some good lines:

But all of us put the trail through its paces:

Everyone made a good exit:

But I think that Jason and Liz had the most fun of anyone:
    [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
    Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
    [/COLOR]

Wish we could have joined the crew, but we were running late, and couldn't make the trail head meetup. So, we made the best of it and motored on

We hit Gold Mountain, where I had problems with my clutch, easily fixed, we moved on and passed a group resting on top of the mountain. In the process we met up with a lone jeep, and the now 3 jeeps of us headed towards JB. On the way to JB we had heard squawks on the radio about a group having drive shaft troubles, and some odd comment about a burrito on the rocks! I've had more than a few whisky on the rocks, but never a burrito on the rocks. And sure as... well, sh*t, there was a burrito on the rocks. So, who was it that left the burrito on the rocks? Hmm?

We made it up JB with only minor incidents (relating to my clutch, again!). On the down side of JB we found a full size bronco having carburetor and starter trouble, and stuck between a rock "the tree". We took an hour or so and helped out, managed to get him back to flat ground, with the motor running now. We later saw those fine folks back in big bear on the street, they made it back down the trail just fine

Any day spent on the trails is better than any day not spent on the trails. Tallyho!

Last edited by daniel_buck; 08-18-14, 01:59 AM.
    [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
    www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Comment

Looks like a great day in the mountains! Bummed I couldn't make it.
      "The Jeep...is a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve."

Comment

Was fun hanging out with Y'all. Good times, lets get some night runs together before summer is done. Your bud Jason did good.
        Lil Nicky, now that's a somewhat different story

Comment

Wow. Actually went to Big Bear to play, not to work. Awesome! Thanks Mike...
          Amber and I had a great day in the mountains. Jason and Liz, was a pleasure to meet you guys. I hope to come see you next year with Mike and Sharon. But we're gonna need some serious NZ rock crawlin...
          I took a few pics along the way.

Forming up at Gold Mountain
          20140817_095725 by MJR RAT, on Flickr

Art at the moguls heading into JB
          20140817_110950 by MJR RAT, on Flickr

Jason on a similar line
          20140817_111105 by MJR RAT, on Flickr

I have to admit, JB is chunkier that it has ever been, at least in my mind. It was a lot of fun!
          20140817_113334 by MJR RAT, on Flickr

Here's a few slightly more flattering photos of Nicks YJ
          20140817_141111 by MJR RAT, on Flickr

20140817_142413 by MJR RAT, on Flickr

20140817_142418 by MJR RAT, on Flickr

And out the West end of Holcomb for the win!
          20140817_170616 by MJR RAT, on Flickr

Awesome day, awesome people.
          [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
          [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
          http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Looks like u all had a blast.Glad to see Nick out there....nice tires to Nick

Comment

Nice pics Kurt

Comment

[COLOR="#800000"]Barb and I had a great time out there with you guys. She just text me a minute ago and said we need to spend more time on the trails. I said, "SOLD!" Daniel thanks for finding my burrito. Was great to meet Jason & Liz. It was a great day out Mike, thanks for letting me tag along.

Probably should get that rear locker off the living room floor. [/COLOR]
                [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
                Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by usmc 0369 View Post
                  [color=#800000]

probably should get that rear locker off the living room floor. [/color]
                  meh...
                  [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                  [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                  http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by RAT View Post
                    meh...
                    RAT's got a point. It wasn't the locker that slowed you down on the trail.

You are too hard on yourself. You should let us do that for you. :wink: :devil:

And Daniel, it is too bad on the timing. You were not far behind us. We passed that Bronco about halfway between the tree and the end of the trail. It would have been better if we could have met up.
                    Last edited by Mike; 08-18-14, 12:40 PM.
                    [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
                    Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
                    [/COLOR]

Comment

Why? There were plenty people lifting the ole YJ of the rocks. Who needs driving skills when they lift you off.
                      Now fixing the cooling system would be a swell idea.
                      This was cool to watch

Ya aced the rest of the trail and Holcomb though, so seems like a locker isn't the priority:thumbs_up

Comment

Thank you Mike & Sharon. My brother-in-law Kevin & I had a great time on JB & HC. And it was a pleasure to meet Jason & Liz, both Jeepers & H-D riders. Glad you're having a great time on the West Coast.

Steve
                        All slow and no show

Comment

An awesome day with awesome people. Really appreciate the opportunity to experience some Jeeping in the US . Was super impressed with the passion and concern everyone showed for the trails and work that goes into maintaining them. A real credit to the group. I will be proudly displaying my MJR sticker on the JK when I get home. Hope to see some of you out in New Zealand sometime!

Comment

Hey Jason,

I was a pleasure meeting and wheeling with you and Liz. New Zealand is on my bucket list so you never know. Travel safely.

Comment

Originally posted by Tycho View Post
                              An awesome day with awesome people. Really appreciate the opportunity to experience some Jeeping in the US . Was super impressed with the passion and concern everyone showed for the trails and work that goes into maintaining them. A real credit to the group. I will be proudly displaying my MJR sticker on the JK when I get home. Hope to see some of you out in New Zealand sometime!
                              Jason very nice to meet you and your wife, good driving bud. I hope you two will thoroughly enjoy the rest of your trip

Comment

Working...
                              X