Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Sierra Mountain Adventures!

Just got back from a week in the Sierra National Forest! Good Times with good friends. Had some carnage, but everyone was resilient and found a way to still have fun.

I met Ryan (Hookandladder), Cliff (CVD), and Kurt (RAT) at Courtright Reservoir on Friday evening. We were waiting for Scotty (Scottymoto), Kevin (1 Bad FNZ) and his wife Chris, and for Justin (4xFiend) to join us on Saturday.

The plan was to run the Dusy-Ershim Trail and then get a cabin in Lakeshore for a night to clean up. Then camp at West Lake and run Strawberry and Mirror Trails. After that, we were to head to the Mono Hot Springs to soak in the hot pools and fish a bit.

When we got to Courtright Reservoir, it was just a mud puddle and the water was still dropping. You could tell the difference in the water level from Saturday morning and Saturday night. This is a severe drought! We drove the half mile or more to the water's edge from the campground:

We could see Old man Mountain clearly from the lake bed:

After everyone arrived Saturday night, we headed up Chicken Rock on Sunday morning. Unfortunately, the smoke from the French Fire was heavy in the area that morning:

The smoke cleared somewhat as we climbed towards Thompson Lake, but the sky remained overcast:

Unfortunately, right before we got to Thompson Hill, Kevin's Taco had an unusual problem that led to his rear driveshaft breaking. We had to drag him up to level ground with the rear tires locked due to the odd brake issue:

But we did some repairs and made the best of it by camping the night:

With only front wheel drive, Kevin and Chris decided to head back to Courtright. Scotty and Kurt went with them to tug as needed to get them back:

Scotty was going to go back to get a dolly to tow the Taco home and Kurt was planning to come back in from the Kaiser Pass side of the trail to meet us at Ershim Lake.

The rest of the crew headed up Thompson Hill on Monday Morning:

We pushed on to East Lake to camp. Ryan aptly named the condition of the trail from Thompson Hill to East Lake as "Unnecessary Roughness". It was more rock avoidance than rock crawling. Regardless, we had a great stay at East lake. Some fish were caught, bathing and swimming also passed the time.

On Tuesday, we pushed on to Ershim Lake:

Justin snapped a front lower control mount off on the last hill descending into camp. Kurt was already there waiting on us and helped to get Justin's jeep back into business:

I would have to say that the funnest part of the trail is from Ershim to the top of Kaiser Pass. You have Divorce Rock (lovingly called Oh Shit Rock by many):

Beautiful, shaded rock gardens:

Lots of places that the trees want to give your rig some love:

The climb up to Mt. Givens:

And the Gatekeeper to test you before leaving the trail:

But the best part for me was the crazy crew that i got to travel with:

As we were almost to the end of the trail, we heard from Kevin and Chris on the CB. The Taco was repaired and they were waiting to join us for the next part of the adventure. After staying in Lakeshore, we headed out to West Lake on Thursday Morning. We set up camp and then took off up Strawberry Lake trail.

The lake was beautiful and it was where I caught the biggest trout that I hooked on the whole trip:

From there we backtracked and took the Mirror Lake trail. This trail has an infamous 'winch hill' that we wanted to test our rigs on. But first we had to go down it:

The climb back up is better captured with the video that will be forthcoming. It was good fun!

Afterwards, we rested, bathed, and fished at West Lake:

Friday morning, Kurt, Ryan, Kevin and Chris needed to leave for home. Justin, Cliff, Sharon and I all crossed the Kaiser Pass and headed for Mono Hot Springs Campground on the San Joaquin River. We soaked in the cold river and then in the hot pools. Rain rolled in in the afternoon for a couple of hours:

Afterwards, it turned into a beautiful night. Justin had to leave for home on Saturday morning, but Cliff, Sharon and i stayed and hiked up the river to do some fishing. Later, we soaked in several hot pools including Little Eden:

we made new friends at each of the hot pools that we visited. After a nice dinner at the Resort, Cliff did a little more fishing and Sharon and i took some photos in the fading light:

This is a very condensed, "Reader's Digest" version of the trip. I will let the rest of the gang fill in their pics and favorite parts. I will have a video to share before long. And most likely some more pics after I filter through the mass of them that we have.

It was a great trip. I don't want to have to go back to work tomorrow! Ah, alas, gotta pay the bills....
    [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
    Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
    [/COLOR]

[COLOR="#800000"]I wanted to go! Looks like SO much fun!![/COLOR]
    [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
    Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

I've been waiting patiently for this post! What an adventure, and incredible photos! Sorry to bear about the carnage and hopefully everything gets fixed soon. Thanks for sharing!
      :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Wow! Looks like a blast! Thank you guys for posting and letting me do a little web wheeling.
        USMC F&AM

Comment

Love the Dusy, Kurt had the most fun running to Ershim lake from Kaiserpass and back, is the best part of the trip. Did that last summer.
          Would have been nice to join Y'all, but my vacation started a week later and to make matters worst gonna have to spend my vacation sitting on the couch with a hurt foot.

Comment

Art, you are dead on about the run from Ershim to the Pass. I am willing to go run that part again in both directions and just skip the rest of the trail. It would make a great weekend run.
            [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
            Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
            [/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
              Art, you are dead on about the run from Ershim to the Pass. I am willing to go run that part again in both directions and just skip the rest of the trail. It would make a great weekend run.
              Well that or take another day to enjoy bald mountain and maybe brewer lake

Comment

Wish we could have made it. Looks like yet another awesome trip.
                Check out .

Comment

Another awesome Sierra Trek. This mountain range never disappoints!
                  This is where my trip started and ended. I could swear I saw some people looking at my Jeep with longing eyes, wishing they could go with me
                  20140801_053855 by MJR RAT, on Flickr

But it got better by the mile... Following Ryan up the 5
                  20140801_104441 by MJR RAT, on Flickr

Headin East to Shaver Lake out of Fresno
                  20140801_111721 by MJR RAT, on Flickr

Oooops. Technical difficulties at Flikr...
                  Last edited by RAT; 08-12-14, 07:26 AM.
                  [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                  [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                  http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

So we get to Courtright reservoir? 'sept thar ain't no water! Actually there is still a lot of water here, but this is a huge reservoir. I never realized how large until we drove down to the water. It was a long way. Hard to believe but there are three boats and a Jeep down by the water in this pic.
                    Courtright mudhole by MJR RAT, on Flickr

Mike, Ryan and I went playing on Saturday. We drove out along the waters edge, did some fishing (catching) and wound up on the Dusy a half mile North of Chicken Rock. So we ran down chicken rock just so we can say we did. these huge boulders are normally under 100 feet of water.
                    Dusy run 2014aaaa0003 by MJR RAT, on Flickr

Dusy run 2014aaaa0002 by MJR RAT, on Flickr

Top O chicken rock by MJR RAT, on Flickr

This was Saturday Night. The French fire was really smoking up the joint, but it made for some gorgeous sunsets
                    Sunset at Courtright by MJR RAT, on Flickr

Sunday morning we headed in to the trail. Up chicken rock...
                    Last edited by RAT; 08-12-14, 08:38 AM.

Comment

Mike heading up Chicken Rock
                      Dusy run 2014b0001 by MJR RAT, on Flickr

Dusy run 2014b0002 by MJR RAT, on Flickr

Dusy run 2014b0003 by MJR RAT, on Flickr

Dusy run 2014b0004 by MJR RAT, on Flickr

Apparently, going up Chicken Rock bores him...
                      Dusy run 2014b0005 by MJR RAT, on Flickr

Dusy run 2014b0006 by MJR RAT, on Flickr

The Taco made it through the tight squeezes with ease
                      Dusy run 2014b0007 by MJR RAT, on Flickr

Dusy run 2014b0008 by MJR RAT, on Flickr

Dusy Meadows. The smoke really did it's best to ruin photo ops but we had a few.
                      Dusy run 2014b0009 by MJR RAT, on Flickr

Dusy run 2014b0010 by MJR RAT, on Flickr

Comment

More Dusy Meadows
                        Dusy run 2014b0011 by MJR RAT, on Flickr

The FUN part of the Dusy. ROCKS!
                        Dusy run 2014b0012 by MJR RAT, on Flickr

Dusy run 2014b0013 by MJR RAT, on Flickr

Big trees everywhere.
                        Dusy run 2014b0014 by MJR RAT, on Flickr

More rocks. Oh yeah, it's the Dusy
                        Dusy run 2014b0015 by MJR RAT, on Flickr

Dusy run 2014b0016 by MJR RAT, on Flickr

Old Man in the Mountain. Smoke and all
                        Dusy run 2014b0017 by MJR RAT, on Flickr

Dusy run 2014b0018 by MJR RAT, on Flickr

The first casualty.
                        Dusy run 2014b0019 by MJR RAT, on Flickr

The trail is very tight, and gets tighter as you head North
                        Dusy run 2014b0020 by MJR RAT, on Flickr

Comment

One of many lgo road sections. My favorites
                          Log road by MJR RAT, on Flickr

We wound up camping on the trail Sunday where Kevin's Taco broke. This was Monday morning.
                          Dusy run 2014bb0001 by MJR RAT, on Flickr

I followed Kevin, Chris and Scotty out to pavement just in case something else went wrong with the Taco. We had to do a lot of tugging and winching but kevin did a Hell of a driving job with just front wheel drive. I didn't get any pics or video of that though... Bad me. I did however take a few landscapes on the way, as the smoke cleared for a while. Old man in the mountain redux
                          Dusy run 2014bb0002 by MJR RAT, on Flickr

Zen
                          Dusy run 2014bb0004 by MJR RAT, on Flickr

It took us right at five hours to get Kevin back to pavement, about as long as it took to drive in. We said our goodbyes and I hauled butt to Shaver Lake to stock up on ice and beer. It rained on the trip to Shaver Lake, then again on the way to Huntington Lake, and again when I got to the Gatekeeper on the North end of Dusy. It was extra special doing the gatekeeper in the rain. Again, no pics. I couldn't get out of the Jeep cause by ass was sucked onto the seat from a few close calls...

I spent the night on the side of Mnt. Givens because I was running out of light and was hungry and ready for a cold beer. Mike and the rest of the crew were at East lake that night. Ozz and I had a nice, quiet night on the mountain in the rain.
                          Dusy run 2014bb0005 by MJR RAT, on Flickr

20140804_194143 by MJR RAT, on Flickr
                          About 9 or so the ISS flew over. It was so close I could touch it. I shot some video.
                          Last edited by RAT; 08-12-14, 08:48 AM.

Comment

It was very cold on the mountain top so at around 4 am I decided to take off for Ershim Lake. A little night run in the morning for breakfast
                            Ershim Lake in the morning. Cold, but refreshing!
                            Dusy run 2014a0004 by MJR RAT, on Flickr

Dusy run 2014a0003 by MJR RAT, on Flickr

Dusy run 2014a0002 by MJR RAT, on Flickr

The feeder stream to Ershim Lake
                            Dusy run 2014a0001 by MJR RAT, on Flickr

The drought has yet to hit the high country and Spring is in full swing at 9000 feet
                            Dusy flora by MJR RAT, on Flickr

More Zen
                            Zen Garden by MJR RAT, on Flickr

Next morning we headed out to the North end of the Dusy.
                            Dusy run 20140008 by MJR RAT, on Flickr

This is pretty much the entire trail from Ershim Lake to the Gatekeeper. There are some sandy wash areas, but rocks at the soup du jur...
                            Dusy run 20140007 by MJR RAT, on Flickr

Someone was peeing on Jeep tires. Wonder who THAT could be...
                            Dusy run 20140005 by MJR RAT, on Flickr

Lake Camp Lake. Or as Sharon calls it, Cow poo pond... It's pretty, but it stinks.
                            Dusy run 20140002 by MJR RAT, on Flickr

Dusy run 20140001 by MJR RAT, on Flickr
                            Last edited by RAT; 08-12-14, 08:49 AM.

Comment

Atop Mt. Givens
                              20140806_111622 by MJR RAT, on Flickr

20140806_111555 by MJR RAT, on Flickr

The end of the Dusy. Always sad, but now on to the next part of the trip!
                              Dusy expidition crew 2014 by MJR RAT, on Flickr

I'll post some more later. Gotta go fishin...

Comment

Working...
                              X