Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Run: Every OHV needs this on the trail

I'm implementing this into all of my OHV's. Doesn't cost much and most of us have these items in our homes. After seeing a few spills on the trail I left a note on my dash board, to put this together once and for all.

SPILL KIT
    1. Labeled so anyone can easily identify
    2. Large 32 gallon trash bag for final round up
    3. several doggy doody bags
    4. 2 or 3 tall kitchen trash bags
    5. 2 pairs of disposable gloves
    6. Ziplock freezer bag to keep all together

If you want to add something or if anyone has any suggestions for additions please chime in. I feel this should be mandatory like having a Hi-lift or a tow strap, but that's my opinion.

Mods : If this needs to go into a different forum please move it.
    You can lead a horse to water, but it might drown

Click image for larger version

Name:	facebooklike.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	358324
    Agreed. great post.

Check out .

Comment

I will add the pig mat to the shopping list. I would just shovel the liquid / saturated dirt it into the bags, however with the pig mat you can place it directly on the leaking component.

Thanks for the link on the video, that's why MYJEEPROCKS

Comment

Great info. Wish there was more info on the pig mats, ie; what they are really called, where to get them ...
        It was like that when I got here.

Comment

They are called pig mat and you can purchase them at a local auto parts store. http://www.newpig.com/pig/US/

Comment

Try something like this?
            [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
            Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

Peatsorb is another absorbent that's good for soaking up oil spills. A few years ago, a club I belong to bought a large sack of it and repackaged it in gallon sized Ziploc bags for each member's spill kit. The linked website says to sprinkle some on the spill and leave it because it would decompose over time, but the manufacturer's web site says that it takes a long time to decompose (one to two years) and should be collected and burned or put in an approved dump site.
              Last edited by Russ Chung; 06-03-14, 12:22 AM.
              If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
              KI6MLU

Comment

Originally posted by Toolman View Post
                I will add the pig mat to the shopping list. I would just shovel the liquid / saturated dirt it into the bags, however with the pig mat you can place it directly on the leaking component.

Thanks for the link on the video, that's why MYJEEPROCKS
                Thankfully I get those mats for free from work. We have them for diesel deliveries.
                Check out .

Comment

Originally posted by dirtman13 View Post
                  Thankfully I get those mats for free from work. We have them for diesel deliveries.
                  Me too! I spill a lot at work... They don't call me Exxon Valdez for nothing...
                  [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                  [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                  http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

I would suggest you store all this in an ammo can. Ammo cans seal well and I have dumped an entire transfer case worth of ATF into one (and had to re-use the fluid).
                    You could easily transport fluid off the trail in one.
                    I simply dump paper towels and trash bags into an ammo can. I fill the empty space in the can with oil, brake fluid, and a quart ATF, a tube of silicone and various useful hardware.
                    It's not what you have. it's what you do with what you have.

Comment

Originally posted by Elusive View Post
                      I would suggest you store all this in an ammo can. Ammo cans seal well and I have dumped an entire transfer case worth of ATF into one (and had to re-use the fluid).
                      You could easily transport fluid off the trail in one.
                      I simply dump paper towels and trash bags into an ammo can. I fill the empty space in the can with oil, brake fluid, and a quart ATF, a tube of silicone and various useful hardware.
                      That's funny, I proved how liquid tight they are in sort of the same way. My gear oil opened up (two bottles) inside and flooded all my spare parts but not a drop came out. Figures I found out when I opened it on the trail to get something out...
                      [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                      [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                      http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

There is a very easy way to secure an ammo can and have it easily removable. http://www.offroaders.com/info/tech-...ammo-boxes.htm I went a step further by mounting it to a plate and using self-tapping screws to secure it to the tub. These make a great spill kit container, toolbox or tow strap container depending on what size ammo can you use. If you put it with the latch facing the tailgate it makes your tools nearly theft resistant if you lock the tailgate.
                        God forgives, rocks don't
                        -sons of thunder

Comment

A few guys in my club up north here in addition to the other mats and 'kitty litter' type stuff, bring diapers. The seem to work well particularly when you bust a diff wide open and need to contain the whole thing.

Comment

I have a couple of the pig mats for leaks that I'm aware of and have time to react to, then the Peat Sorb for the leaks that I wasn't aware of. Plus the various bags and things of that sort. An old employer of mine that does a lot of work with nasty chemicals was kind enough to donate these items to my Jeep.
                            USMC F&AM

Comment

Working...
                            X