Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Colorado Snow Run: Pickle Gulch and Moffat Tunnel (and skiing)

Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Colorado Snow Run: Pickle Gulch and Moffat Tunnel (and skiing)

We did manage to get the jeep out to do some exploring. The snow is beginning to thaw in the mountains so we thought we'd have a chance of catching some wintery pics from a few peaks near Eldora... but not quite! The snow was soft and the climb was steep and we just couldn't get anywhere at 9500 feet. Maybe next month! (Oh yeah, and check out that lovely mud)

We did drive up to the continental divide to check out the Moffat Tunnel. It's so snowy up there that the bathroom door is frozen open. Lots of people were backcountry skiing and snowshoeing.

link to pics

baconinthesun, on Flickr

Drive up to the Moffat Tunnel by baconinthesun, on Flickr

We have had much better luck strapping wood planks to our feet and letting a chair lift take us up past 12,200 feet to see the amazing views of the Rockies.

link to pics

Parsenn Bowl by baconinthesun, on Flickr

And with Chuck as our inspiration... here's an ultra-long and shaky video from our ski adventures. We totally need a go pro drone.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/sw33t/13406223285/
    :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Cool video Sarah. Some beautiful scenery. I would have a field day out there.
    Check out .

Comment

Originally posted by dirtman13 View Post
      Cool video Sarah. Some beautiful scenery. I would have a field day out there.
      Thanks! C'mon out... with your drone. (Rick is going to punch you because I won't stop talking about that thing, can't wait to meet it in person LMAO) I used iMovie. It didn't do great at the stabilization, but neither did Adobe Premier.

Comment

Thanks for the warning.:hide: I'm looking forward to getting some killer video this weekend.

They have stabilization plug ins that work really well. I have heard good things about the ones for AP. I use proDAD Mercalli SE(because it came free with Corel).
        Check out .

Comment

Originally posted by dirtman13 View Post
          Thanks for the warning.:hide: I'm looking forward to getting some killer video this weekend.

They have stabilization plug ins that work really well. I have heard good things about the ones for AP. I use proDAD Mercalli SE(because it came free with Corel).
          Can't wait! I'll try to pick up some Colorado booze for ya to lessen the pain

It's also possible that Rick's goPro footage is so shaky that it's beyond help. Maybe we need to stop drinking on the slopes, hehe

Comment

[quote=sarah;232573 maybe we need to stop drinking on the slopes, hehe[/quote]

sacrilege! Arrrggghhhhh...
            [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
            [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
            http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

I like the song choice! Fun video too.
              Looks like you guys might need some chains for those ice slicks that you have as roads.
              [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
              Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
              [/COLOR]

Comment

Great pics, Sarah!
                ~dre

Comment

Thanks guys

and you too Dre!!

Comment

Those lift lines are awful!

Is the Moffat tunnel an active train tunnel? Oops never mind just saw that it links to Wiki.

Mike
                    "They look Friendly" G. Custer

Comment

Originally posted by Deepwater View Post
                      Those lift lines are awful!

Is the Moffat tunnel an active train tunnel? Oops never mind just saw that it links to Wiki.

Mike
                      Yeah! The lines get pretty bad on powder days... but they do move quick enough that my feet don't hurt from standing around in ski boots.

The tunnel was super cool. We just missed a train come out of it too. The fans they have running in it are SUPER loud!

Comment

Working...
                      X