Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Organized Event: Tds

Anyone heading out there this weekend for the annual traffic jam? It'll be raining and that means better odds at winning some prizes since most of the yuppies won't attend. Just us rednecks.....
    1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

I'll be there.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

I am leaving tomorrow morning... eight 1 8 for for 8 zero 8 8 8

Comment

we should have a meet up with everyone over at the corner gas station on Saturday.. Say 9am... Then head over to N Marina for some fun.

Comment

Take youre waders .!!!!!!

Comment

I will swing by the gas station around 9 am tomorrow. going to be a wet drive out!

Comment

Originally posted by vwtipeii View Post
              I will swing by the gas station around 9 am tomorrow. going to be a wet drive out!
              sorry I missed you guys. I went to your camp at about 4pm on friday but no one was there. Ended up with a few other friends. As for the weather.. How funny.. It was windy but the rain was next to non-existent .. Nice sand storm in Borrego but other than that it was a fantastic wknd.....

Comment

oh ya the sand storm was crazy but the run was fun.we blasted through the run in 3.5-4 hours and then went to borrego springs for some exploring.great weekend.

Comment

52nd Annual Tierra Del Sol Desert Safari, Feb 28 - Mar 2, 2014

It was raining when I left home on Friday afternoon. The weather forecast for the Truckhaven area called for a 30% chance of rain, with less than two-tenths of an inch expected, but with winds of about 20 mph gusting to 30 mph. I arrived at Truckhaven about 9 pm and set up camp next to Scott and Kevin Putnam (Scottymoto and 1 Bad FNZ). The trip took 5-1/2 hours instead of the usual 3-1/2 hours. The wind had died and only a few raindrops reached the ground; the desert terrain was as dusty as ever. A few raindrops fell during the night, but when the sun rose on Saturday, there was no wind, the temperature was a very comfortable 60F and the ground had soaked up what little rain fell. I lined up with Scottymoto and 1 Bad FNZ. We were about 30 or 40 vehicles from the head of the line.

This is Kevin's (1 Bad FNZ) new Tacoma:

Scotty's (Scottymoto) TJ followed by Kevin's (1 Bad FNZ) Tacoma. This shows how dusty the trail was on Saturday:

Some trail pics:

The trail ended at the OHV Obstacle Course adjacent to the TDS exhibit area:

After the trail run, I visited the exhibit area while Scotty and Kevin went into Borrego Springs to look at the outdoor sculpture garden. After dinner, we went to the raffle and saw the fireworks show. They announced that 1700 people had registered for the event. On Sunday Scotty, Kevin and I visited the Calcite Mine:

At the Calcite Mine we met the other Kevin (Red Rubicon) in his yellow TJ:

We headed down Palm Wash and climbed one of the hills to get a view of the area:

I broke camp, loaded the Jeep, and got home in time to watch the Academy Awards. I had hoped that the rain would hold down the dust, but that didn't happen. Only a trace of rain reached the ground, so instead of washing mud off my Jeep, I have to vacuum the dust out of it.
                  Last edited by Russ Chung; 03-03-14, 05:13 PM.
                  If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
                  KI6MLU

Comment

Nice pic's. I got there Friday about 4pm and got pummeled by the sand storm through Borrego. After that was done it seemed to clear right up. Then as we were setting up tent. Yes tent... (I'm poor folk) the wind started up again and it was almost a lost cause. Nothing like putting up a tent in a sand storm. Luckily I propped it up in front of a trailer and hammered the stakes through the concrete hard soil that was 6 inches under the sand. Then about an hr later the wind was nonexistent and good times were had.
                    We goofed around in the notches just north east of the main notches that all the yahoo's go to off of N Marina. Those are so much fun. Pretty much laid my jeep on its side and another rig blew a bead. Otherwise good times. Next day was kind of windy again and we always seemed to avoid any rain fall. Sunday we packed it up after breakfast and headed home hitting heavy rain through Julian and east SD.. Didnt win squat AGAIN at the raffle and beginning to think its' bs. 10 yrs now and never won... Don't feel like buying next yr.. Dont think this ones do-able...
                    nasty sand storm

Comment

Working...
                    X