Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Salton Sea Exploration: Feb. 7th-9th, 2014

On my next trip out here I'll have to bring the Jeep along to access more remote areas off the beaten path...

For some time now I've been wanting to take my family on a tour of the Salton Sea, here in the desert of Southern California, to check out the various historical sites and points of interest along or near its shores. It seems to me that most people don't give the Salton Sea much thought, and when they do they think of a nasty, polluted, uninviting place. Stories of a polluted Salton Sea are greatly exaggerated. Responsible sources have verified the fact that the sea is safe. The real problem is too much salt-carried in by irrigation water, and concentrated by the natural process of evaporation. Its a beautiful place to visit, camp, and explore, especially in the cooler months.

Click here for the full write up and more photos of this fascinating area.

Awesome stuff! I didn't realize that a lot of the things that you visited were there. I will be planning a trip!
    [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
    Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
    [/COLOR]

Comment

Thanks for another great report.

We went water skiing there once. I would guess about 1973. It was interesting how well you floated. We never did go back to ski; of course we did a lot of motorcycling and four-wheeling in the area.
      Rich

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
        Awesome stuff! I didn't realize that a lot of the things that you visited were there. I will be planning a trip!
        Do it! There's so much to see and explore out there. You'll have a blast.

Originally posted by Ol Man View Post
        Thanks for another great report.

We went water skiing there once. I would guess about 1973. It was interesting how well you floated. We never did go back to ski; of course we did a lot of motorcycling and four-wheeling in the area.
        Thanks. I was born in '79 so I missed the heydays of the Salton Sea. It would be great if the sport fishery there was revitalized.

Comment

We fished for Corvina and we would ski from one side to the other and back as fast as you could on new years day. Those were the good old days.

Last edited by curtis; 02-21-14, 05:02 PM.
          IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Wow really cool write up. Need to go check some of that out.
            97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
            WEB site

Comment

Fascinating history. Thanks for sharing. I couldn't help but think David is eyeballing that crane for something he can modify to use on his Jeep
              God forgives, rocks don't
              -sons of thunder

Comment

Fantastic blog post John. Love all the photos, especially this one:

Better living through sedentary obedience indeed! LOL
                Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
                Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
                HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

There is some cool stuff out there. My family used to go there in the 60's. It was boomin then. I don't remember much but have lots of family pictures. Thanks for the report.
                  [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                  [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                  http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by nwoods View Post
                    Fantastic blog post John. Love all the photos, especially this one:

Better living through sedentary obedience indeed! LOL
                    Desert people come up with some very different stuff fer shure

Comment

Very cool write up. Tons of info! Very interesting history and area.

Comment

I had a friend whose boat sank in the Salton Sea. He floated in the water for tree days until he was found and rescued. He felt he would have never sunk because of the high salt content made floating effortless.

Great write up thanks.
                        SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                        MJR moderator
                        MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                        Jeep Patrol Leader
                        Reforestation Supervisor
                        Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                        Eagle Scout

Comment

Working...
                        X