Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Discussion: saline valley hot springs

So I want to go check this place out. Anyone have directions on how to get there? What is like? Is it worth it? How prepared do I an my rig have to be?

Driving a 05 lj...

Originally posted by haiko View Post
    So I want to go check this place out. Anyone have directions on how to get there? What is like? Is it worth it? How prepared do I an my rig have to be?

Driving a 05 lj...
    You should have zero issues getting to the Saline Hot Springs in an 05 LJ. The fun way to get there is to go to Eureka Dunes and go up Dedeckera Canyon. This will bring you into the Hot Springs from the east.

You can also get there two other ways. From the north, out of Big Pine, you can take Saline Valley road down to Bat Rock Road to the springs. From the south, from Hwy 190, you can take Saline valley Road to Bat Rock Road.

NONE of these options are short. But the Dedeckera Cyn version is the most fun. The southern entrance is probably the most scenic, and the northern one is probably the fastest from a paved road (but it is a long way from nowhere on the paved road.

It's a great place to visit. Expect full nudity pretty much everywhere near the springs.
    [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
    Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
    [/COLOR]

Comment

Lots of trail info right here on MJR http://www.myjeeprocks.com/forums/showthread.php/23081

A good Saline Valley forum http://forum.salinepreservation.org/

A good DeVa forum http://www.death-valley.net/forum/
      Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

How do I get there from ontario? And when is the best time to go? How many days do I need? N what equipment.

Comment

How do I get there from ontario?
          11S 431095E 4073623N

And when is the best time to go?
          NOW

How many days do I need?
          I wouldn't go less than 2 days. A 4 day weekend is fun. Some folks spend months out there.

N what equipment.
          Minimum: food, water, a 4wd with fuel.

Beyond the minimum it's whatever you want to bring
          Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

I just went for New Years for a Week. There are plenty of RV's there. IF you come in from the South or the North... it is cake (as long as the passes are not snowed in). We were a little shy at first but by the end of the trip we were naked in the hot tub like everyone else. Our only issue was running out of booze or we would have stayed longer. Bring a container of bleach to donate to the hot springs. You can take a shower or bath there too. Also, there is a station for cleaning your dishes and there are pit toilets all over. IF you have decent legs and knees. I recommend the hike up to the peace sign. Great views. I will post some pics:

On the way back.. stop by the visitor center and get info or Serro Gordo... its an awesome ghost town. Make a 20 dollar donation and have a private tour from the care taker.

Serro Gordo is on the East Side of the owens dry lake bed once you get to the visitor center in Big Pine off the 395. Spend on planning 3-4 hours or so round trip from Big Pine

I hope this helps,
            Brett
            Last edited by vwtipeii; 02-02-14, 03:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X