Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Organized Event: 7th Annual Toys 4 Tots Off Road Toy Drive

I left La Habra at 11am on Friday December 6, 2013. I met up with Dave, Yosh, Linda, Kelly & James at Banks Engineering in Azusa. Dave picked up some raffle gifts and some toys and we headed out.

We had lunch at Carl's Jr. in Gorman before heading into the park. We arrived at the Honey Valley Group Campground around 2 pm. We were the first group to use this brand new addition to Hungry Valley SVRA.

The sun was out when we arrived and the temps were in the low 50s. We set up the collection boxes, EZ-Ups, lighting etc and enjoyed the rest of the afternoon around the campfire. Folks arrived all afternoon and all evening.

The low overnight was in the mid 20s and we woke to a light dusting of snow in the morning.

It snowed off and on all day and in the afternoon the wind picked up. This guy had the message of the day

Hungry Valley SVRA closes the North entrance during snow events and they closed the gate on Saturday morning even though there was less than 1" of snow on the ground.

The Grapevine was also closed for 3 hours on Saturday making it difficult for folks to get up to the event. A few brave souls took 14 to 58 and made it to the event.

KCAL interviewed Dave and a small snippet made it into this report
    http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2013/...vy-snow-falls/

The Marines sent four of their finest to collect the toys

We donated almost 600 toys to Toys 4 Tots

We BBQd hot dogs for everyone for lunch and deep fried oreos for dessert. The raffle lasted almost an hour and almost everyone went home with a prize.

The event ended around 4 pm and most folks packed up and headed home. A handful of us stuck around for 1 more night.

I packed up early this morning and I was home by 10am.
    Last edited by FishPOET; 12-08-13, 12:59 PM.
    Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Looks awesome Doug. I'm going to make it one of this years.
    Check out .

Comment

Thanks Doug. The kids appreciate the efforts of everyone there.
      [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
      [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
      http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Thanks for supporting this event! I'm sorry that the weather made it tough for folks to get there this year.
        [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
        Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
        [/COLOR]

Comment

I was really impressed with how much Dave put into organizing this event. Such a bummer that that weather didn't cooperate. I hope he has future events closer to town. The past few events have been far enough away that budgetary choices had to be made.
          Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
          Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
          HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

Working...
          X