Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: T-Day in the Desert

[COLOR=#ff8c00]HAPPY THANKSGIVING!![/COLOR]

For the 6th annual T-Day in the Desert, a group of us headed to the Florence Junction area of Arizona. Sergio (50yj) has been trying to drag me out to play in AZ for a while now. And I'm glad that we did! What a great place to play!

WEDNESDAY

Driving into AZ, I was amused by the Holiday warning. We saw probably 4 or 5 of these:

Kurt (RAT), Chuck and Alycia (Dirtman13), Cliff (CVD), and Sharon and I met at the prearranged spot off of Cottonwood Cyn Road. we set up camp and Kurt tended to a nail that he found in a tire before he left SoCal:

Everyone settled in:

And enjoyed nature's sunset show:

THANKSGIVING DAY

We woke to find Kevin and Chris (1 BAD F N Z) had arrived in the night. After they set up in camp, Kevin found that the Cruiser wouldn't start. He opted to stay in camp and take a look at her instead of going on the run.

I have been to the Florence Junction area only once before in a Jeep. I ran only two trails and we didn't run them this time. So everything was new to me except for the roads that connect some of them. Sergio hadn't been on most of them either, so the trails were new for all of us.

For T-Day, we all needed to be back early to cook for T-Day Dinner, so I picked some 'easier' trails that were said to be in very pretty terrain. We headed east into Superior, AZ and ran Powerline and Hackberry Creek trails.

"Powerline" is a deceiving name for this trail. It should be called "Chunky Monkey"!:

Kurt lost the use of his front locker at an unfortunate point:

After we got back to camp, he found that the copper tube on the ARB had snapped off in the pumpkin.
    Chuck had to work a bit to get around to give him a tug. Here's a quick vid:

We took a side trip to over look Devil's Canyon. It is a cool place lined with lots of hoodoos:

Back on the Powerline Trail, the chunky track continued:

We rounded the south end of the trail and started north on Hackberry Creek. It was a good bit calmer trail, but in a shallow canyon lined with more hoodoos:

Once back out on the road, we stopped in Superior for gas and supplies before heading to camp to cook.

We got back early and with plenty of daylight. Everyone had something that they were doing to get ready for dinner except for Cliff and I. So we took off in search of a ghost town called Reymert. We stopped by the petroglyphs at Lower Woodpecker (closed to vehicles):

The view on the way to Reymert:

Reymert turned out to be more impressive than I expected. It has remains of some very well build walls and foundations, but the main features are the bank vault and some sort of kiln:

When we got back to camp, we found that Kurt had some more carnage. His turkey fryer pot had melted a hole in the bottom!:

Luckily, Kevin had another fryer, so we waited until his turkey was done before starting the second one in the same pot.

It wasn't long before Kurt was carving the birds:

And we were digging in for the feast! Good food and way more than we could eat!:

Later, while we were rubbing our bellies around the fire, Russ Chung stopped by with pecan pie. It was a nice evening with friends.

To Be Continued.....
    [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
    Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
    [/COLOR]

T-Day in the Desert!

FRIDAY

Friday morning, Justin (4XFiend) arrived and the group headed south down Mineral Mountain Road. This road has a notable Ledge just before getting to the junction with Box Canyon Road:

There are easier ways down, but it was a nice warm up for the day. After reaching Box Cyn Road, it wasn't long before we found the Stagecoach Station. This must have been a nice structure at one time, but the weather has taken its toll on the old baked adobe brick building:

Box Cyn is a beautiful place. My photos do not do it justice:

It is a long way around to the start of the Elvis Trail, but the roads were good after we got out of Box Cyn, so we made good time. At the first obstacle, we found a group of about 10 or 12 Jeeps lined up to play. When our turn to play came, I was ready to go:

Just my luck, at about this time, my ProCrap upper control arm snapped at the ring around the bushing! We spent the next two hours hammering it back into shape and welding it back together. Additional carnage was that my hammer handle snapped!:

Kurt was running without the front locker and he did a hell of a good job driving without it!:

Finally repaired, we carried on with the rest of Elvis:

The view coming out of the trail is worth a pic or two:

Back on Box Cyn Road, we headed north to Axle Alley. The trail starts out mild, then slowly gets wild and stays that way to the end:

Chuck started having some locker issues, but he soon got them worked out by replacing the pressure switch and tightening the blade clips. Then damaged a door at this rock:

We all had a bit of air time at some point:

When we got to the famous wall obstacle, Chuck took the lead. With a strap for added security, he climbed right up:

The rest of us used a vehicle for a winch point, and winched ourselves up:

After that, the falls and obstacles kept coming:

I have lots of video that I will work on later, but here's a quick clip:

This is where Justin popped a U-Joint in the rear drive shaft:

Kurt had a spare and Chuck had a press, so we were moving again soon, but it was getting dark fast:

Hard to see, but Sergio has about 5 feet of air under that tire:

On the last hill climb out of the trail, Kurt had the welds on his hydro-assist steering snap off. We got him up the hill and bungied the rod out of the way and he drove back to camp with the squirrelly handling.

Axle Alley is a new addition to my list of Favorite Trails. It is a rockin' good time!

Leftovers were warmed up for dinner and we enjoyed watching the videos from the day projected onto the side of Kevin's RV. My new video camera is pretty cool.

To Be Continued...

[/COLOR]

Comment

man That looks like some we gotta drag Freddy and Curtis out there, for some fun real trail fun

Comment

T-Day in the Desert!

SATURDAY

On our last day of wheeling, we started out on the Ajax Mine trail. The lower portion is a wide rocky wash for the most part:

But Chuck found ways to entertain us as well as and himself:

There were a few interesting spots along the way. One of which bit a slice out of Sergio's tire. We tried to plug it, but the fix didn't last long and the spare had to be brought out:

Russ Chung met us at the start of Upper Ajax. Upper Ajax is a fun trail:

There are multiple options on several of the obstacles:

This obstacle was slick and wet in spots:

Others were tilty:

Along the way, Alycia found a new best friend!:

Russ whipped this obstacle like a champ:

And it wasn't an easy task:

At the end, we had lunch on top of the Ajax Mill site:

After lunch, it was time for Highway to Hell! Previous folks do at least try to give you a warning. Abandon hope, all ye who enter here...:

The first obstacle has an extra crazy, ..er, Credit, line, as do some of the others:

Some old dogs kept an eye on things while Chuck tried the line:

But for others, they've seen it all before:

Sergio (who has ran this trail before) was next on the extra credit line:

There are lot's of fun things on the way to Hell:

I don't know if we were in Hell at the end of the Highway, but I can say that the Steers gave us the Evil Eye:

Woodpecker Mine Trail was the shortest way back to camp, but we were going to have to do it as a night run:

The trail didn't seem too rugged, but I took a bad line in the dark and landed hard on the front passenger tire. Suddenly, I couldn't turn left anymore. I bent the ProCrap track bar (AGAIN). Since this is a regular occurrence, I carry a spare. I swapped it out and we took the easy mine trail the rest of the way to the main road back to camp.

In camp, we had dinner and again watched our exploits on the projection screen made from stacked tables. Good times.

But the evenings stories and and shenanigans were the true highlight of the evening!:

Too bad Thanksgiving only comes once per year! What a great time! Thanks to everyone for coming out to Arizona to play. I can't wait to do another run out to the area. Maybe April???

Just for giggles, here's a carnage list. Add others if I missed anything:

Chuck: Trailer bearing (on the way to AZ)
        Kurt: Trailer tire (on the way to AZ)
        Kurt: Front locker copper tube snapped off
        Mike: Upper rear control arm from ProCrap ripped
        Mike: Hammer handle broke
        Chuck: Locker pressure switch
        Chuck: Half door bent
        Chuck: Front tube fender pushed in
        Justin: Rear drive shaft U-Joint failed
        Kurt: Broken mount for hydro-assist on steering
        Kurt: Hole melted in turkey fryer pot
        Sergio: Sliced tire
        Mike: Bent ProCrap track bar (Again!)
        Chuck: One hood clip popped off
        Justin: Rear fender flare ripped in half
        Mike: Front fender flare bent (its metal, I just kicked it back into place)

Did I miss anything?

[/COLOR]

Comment

Fun times, you guys are the best at breaking crap Bitchin trails redo whenever you are ready and I can get time off.
          Trying to fill my wheelin calender for the year. The Winter thing east of St George, KOH, Moab, Rusty nail and area BFE, Holy cross and Carnage canyon Colorado. Some Clorado boys Told me there's some cool wheelin in South Dakota and then there is AZ and the Hammers.
          Gonna try and make the coming year a fun wheelin year

Comment

Looks like you guys had a rockin Thanksgiving

Great write up and pics. Looking forward to the video!
            Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

This was a great place to explore and play! Pretty desert and tough trails - kind of like Motino Wash on steroids.

Comment

Looks like another killer trip in the books! Sorry I missed it.
                [COLOR="YellowGreen"]"You cant fit 2 fingers in my tailpipe"[/COLOR]

Comment

[COLOR="#800000"]Looks like one heck of a hoot! Very sorry we missed it and Barb will be disappointing she missed the petroglyphs (she likes that sort of thing.) I can't wait until I can run with the big dogs out there too. [/COLOR]
                  [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
                  Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

Alycia and I had a great time. We started our adventure early by heading to Arizona on Monday. After some tasty BBQ and a good nights rest we spent Tuesday exploring the Apache Trail.

We stated at the Superstition Mountain Museum. Most of the building are transplants from the Apacheland Movie Ranch where several westerns from the 50's and 60's were filmed.

After the museum we headed to the Goldfield Ghost Town which is located in the Goldfield Mining District which is still to this day being actively mined.

Train ride around the town.

Superstition Mountain. In the foreground is the Old Wasp Mine that is being actively mined

The ghost town.

Mine tour.

Town.

From the ghost town we continued up the Apache Trail to Canyon Lake and then it was off to Tortilla Flats for lunch.
                    Canyon Lake

This is my only picture from Tortilla Flats. Tortilla Flats is an old stage coach stop along the Apache Trail.

From TF we headed for the Lost Dutchman State Park.

Weavers Needle

Superstition Mountain

To be continued...
                    Check out .

Comment

After our trip up the Apache Trail we head for the Gold Canyon Golf Resort. Our home for the night and dinner at Kokopelli's.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PB262025.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	209.8 KB
ID:	358311

View from the patio.

On Wednesday I spent the morning on one of the most beautiful courses I've played.

Name:	PB272027.JPG
Size:	190.9 KB
ID:	358312

Name:	PB272032.JPG
Size:	238.2 KB
ID:	358313
                      Even did a little mine exploring out on the course.

Name:	PB272034.JPG
Size:	271.1 KB
ID:	358314

Name:	PB272035.JPG
Size:	229.3 KB
ID:	358315

This has officially become my destination when I retire.

After my round it was off to camp.
                      Check out .

Comment

Thursday was the day for our first Jeep run and then back to camp for a wonderful Thanksgiving dinner with friends. Mike covered everything so I'll just post some pics.

Still more...
                        Check out .

Comment

Continued...

Cactus fro.

All my pictures arehere
                          Check out .

Comment

Wow, looks like an awesome time. Maybe next year we'll have to get our Christmas lights up super early so we can actually join the crew.

Beautiful scenery, the trails look fun, and we know the company would be great!

Thanks for sharing!
                            If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

<----- Super Jealous!
                              [COLOR="YellowGreen"]"You cant fit 2 fingers in my tailpipe"[/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                              X