Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Discussion: Saturday exploring

I gathered up Amber, went by Mike and Sharon's and we headed out to do some easy exploring. I watched an episode of Huell Howser that I had not seen before. He was planning a road trip from Barstow to Vegas but never got past the Early Man Archaeology site. We hit the same land marks that he did plus quite a few more. I didn't take many photos but Mike and Sharon did.

We started in Barstow at the Harvey House hotel and museum. Lots of history here. It's a cool place and still a working rail yard and Amtrak station.

Train museum

20131109_094404 by MJR RAT, on Flickr

Train station and Hotel

20131109_095021 by MJR RAT, on Flickr

From there we went to find the Tortoise intaglio, just NW Barstow. Lots of controversy surrounding the identity of who may have made this and when. Some say Boy Scouts recently, some say bored railroad workers during the Calico Mining heyday, and some say the local indigenous tribes made them hundreds or thousands of years ago. Pretty cool little find. I, of course did not get any pictures...

Then we took a run to the Dagget Pioneer Cemetery. Several graves from the mid-1800s, and lots of veterans from WWI and WWII. Kind fun. We also hit the Waterloo Mine on the way to the cemetery. Hopefully Mike helps me out with pics cuz I was clueless...

20131109_115748 by MJR RAT, on Flickr

Cool headstone. I wonder what did in life??

20131109_115950 by MJR RAT, on Flickr

We went back to Yermo and had lunch at Peggy Sues. Then we headed up to Calico and explored several mines and trails, and narrow gauge rail bed. We had not seen any of the mines before and had driven by the NG railroad so many times without knowing it is there. Possible fun easy run for next IDTT.

20131109_144300 by MJR RAT, on Flickr

It was getting dark and we still wanted to get to the Early Man Site so we went like the wind. We got there in time for a tour of the buildings and a history lesson of the area, but too late to walk to the digs. Next time. Ozzi did manage to find this guy milling around

20131109_161736 by MJR RAT, on Flickr

20131109_161744 by MJR RAT, on Flickr

And me being me, can't pass the opportunity to become one with nature

IMG_5245 by MJR RAT, on Flickr

IMG_5246 by MJR RAT, on Flickr

IMG_5249 by MJR RAT, on Flickr

He was very accommodating and after a brief encounter he was on his way again looking for luv.

We then went for some more mine exploring and while laying new tracks to new places lost the Sun for the day. We decided to head to SilverWood Sushi for dinner. We are regulars there and they really set us up this time around. We were fed and entertained and had a wonderful end to a spectacular day of exploring.

Hopefully Mr. Mike will add some pics so this isn't so boring...
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
    [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
    http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

I'm a little slow getting some pics up, but here are some to fill in the gaps from RAT's post:

We started the trip by getting breakfast at the historic Summit Inn. Built in 1952, the current owner took it over in 1966 and still runs it to this day:

The Harvey House and Train Museum was very cool! Can't beat the price: Free.

From there we took Meadow Grove road up into the desert. We were looking for and found the mysterious Tortoise Intaglio:

Check out the video of Sharon's excitement when we found it!:

We stopped at the Columbia Townsite. Not much left, but it has a good view:

On the way to the Pioneer Cemetery, we stopped at the Waterloo Mill ruins:

Cool wind ripples in the sand dunes nearby:

Daggett seemed like a friendly town. All three people that actually populate the town waved to us. It has definitely had its heyday:

After lunch at Peggy Sue's, we stopped in Yermo to capture a pic of the very first Del Taco:

Then we went exploring in the Calico Hills. Some neat places are just a bit of a hike:

Most can be driven to, like this point where an old narrow gauge RR trestle used to be:

The Early Man Site was fun. The Site Manager, Chris Christensen, is always a gracious host. I took advantage of the gift shop and wiped out most of his Bill Mann books. Meanwhile, Kurt was outside making new friends:

Even though it was getting dark, we were able to squeeze in the Surprise Cyn Borate Mine on the way out:

There is a cool tunnel that goes through the hillside. View from the downhill side:

From the uphill side:

Finding our way back to the pavement in the near-dark, Kurt spotted an old hilltop cemetery. Of course we had to explore it:

The trip was great. It was a really nice day, and lot's of fun exploring. The Silverwood Grill folks took such good care of us when we got there too! It capped off a perfect adventure.
    [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
    Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
    [/COLOR]

Comment

Very fun cool stuff guys. Mike was the hilltop cemetery the one right above the Agg check point? Always laughed knowing how cool it is as a million people fly by below it on the 40 fwy. Stop and smell the roses kinda thing. Nice pictures. I'm glad you are enjoying those BM books

Mitch

Comment

Way cool exploration!
        Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

looks awesome! I would love to join yall next time... If I had this thing that starts w a J and ends w a P!

Comment

Originally posted by vwtipeii View Post
            looks awesome! I would love to join yall next time... If I had this thing that starts w a J and ends w a P!
            With a tow strap and some persuasion that Benz will make it

Comment

Originally posted by vwtipeii View Post
              I don't know if I want to ask...
              [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
              [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
              http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

I will ask.... where's your jeep Brett ?
                You can lead a horse to water, but it might drown

Comment

Some neat pics. I loved the those sand ripples.
                  holes = cowbell

Comment

Super cool pics - I don't know about that spider though
                    :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Great report gents. I especially loved the video of Sharon's "excitement"
                      SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                      MJR moderator
                      MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                      Jeep Patrol Leader
                      Reforestation Supervisor
                      Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                      Eagle Scout

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
                        Great report gents. I especially loved the video of Sharon's "excitement"
                        I have many more spots that i would like to go explore, but you have probably been to most of them. Maybe you can show us around!
                        [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
                        Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
                        [/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                        X