Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Run: MJR Adopt-A-Trail open house run

It's that time again. MJR's Adopt-A-Trail group is asking for new recruits to come out and help keep our forest safe, and open to the public. Everyone is invited to come out and spend the day with us to get a look at what we do, have some fun wheelin in the forest, and maybe learn a thing or two about YOUR forest. There is no obligation; just come out and see what is going on.
    Kids are definitely welcome. It is a great way for the family to get out and do something fun together.
    We are inviting anyone who would like to join us on November 16-17, in Big Bear CA. If you would like to come up, please go here to sign up:
    http://www.myjeeprocks.com/forums/ca...2013-11-16&c=4

We will have hard hats for those that don't (PPE is a requirement in the National Forest), and you'll want to have some gloves. Please bring lunch and plenty of water. Camp chairs if you have them. This is an all day event, but you can come and see what we do, and if you don't want to hang around that is fine. This is a VOLUNTEER group

The link above has all the info you need (where to meet, what time, etc.). If you have any questions, post them here or PM me (RAT) nick (USMC369) or Roger (Roger).

Hope to see you out there, the 16th or 17th of Novemeber!
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
    [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
    http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

I'll be there with my own lid

I'm guessing also gloves and eye protection, will we need steel toed boots?

Comment

Originally posted by socal.dave View Post
      I'll be there with my own lid

I'm guessing also gloves and eye protection, will we need steel toed boots?
      Ppe required per forest service:
      Hard hat
      Steel toe shoes/boots
      Gloves
      Long sleeve shirt
      long pants
      Eyes and ears if you have them but not necessary for most jobs.

Comment

I'd like to join you all however, I have another event to attend that weekend. If something changes I'll be there.
        You can lead a horse to water, but it might drown

Comment

Originally posted by Toolman View Post
          I'd like to join you all however, I have another event to attend that weekend. If something changes I'll be there.
          Well thanks for wanting to help. every little bit helps.

Comment

Guys...

Thought I would share the little about how we and our friend "Stickman" Steve got involved in the AAT.

A few years back, while lugging all of our stuff into the luxury motel rooms at the Motel 6 in Big Bear, we met this really ugly , but really nice guy, named Kurt "RatPatrol". He was adjusting some stuff on his jeep, the Rat... We all started talking about the Jeeps, Steve and I both have CJ's, then we moved on to talking about what were the best trails in Big Bear. Kurt shared with us that the most beautiful and fun trail in Big Bear is Holcomb. But.. he said, that trail was closed due to one of the worst forest fires to hit Big Bear. He then began to tell us about MJR and the AAT and the work that was being done to get the trail reopened to the public. It was great to hear what the team was doing! Kurt extended the invitation to us to join the AAT group... and the rest is history.

Carmen and I have been out with the AAT team probably 20 times or so... always been a great time! always been a rewarding time! the camaraderie and friendship and willingness to do what's right for our forest was obvious and made each trip very worthwhile and fun! Getting to use the winch to move rocks, boulders, and logs was always fun! Not having to it use to remove the Jeep from precarious situations was kind of new and fun too.

The AAT trail leaders, Kurt, Chuck, Ryan, Nick, and Roger are all fun guys to go out there and work with.

If you have ever had any interest in participating in activities or programs that DO directly affect our access to the backcountry areas in our national forests, this is the perfect way to start!
            Regards,
            Randy

"An army of asses led by a lion is better than an army of lions led by an ass" George Washington

www.youtube.com/user/MyBrokenJeep

Comment

Great story Randy.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Like-Hand-150x150.png
Views:	1
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	358310
              Check out .

Comment

Originally posted by dirtman13 View Post
                Great story Randy.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1252[/ATTACH]
                Thanks Randy. That really tells it well. And that's exactly why I got involved. Its easy to get started, you can do as much or as little as you want, and there are different levels of involvement to fit just about everyone.

Comment

Just an extra note, this also counts for your kids' public service! Bring 'em on out!
                  :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

"...we met this really ugly , but really nice guy, named Kurt "RatPatrol"..." Bawhahahahah!

Sorry. Kurt is one of the good guys (Just don't tell him)

Seriously, The MJR trail crew are really great people. We always have a great time even with the hard work. It is very rewarding.

Come spend the day with us! You won't be sorry...
                    SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                    MJR moderator
                    MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                    Jeep Patrol Leader
                    Reforestation Supervisor
                    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                    Eagle Scout

Comment

This looks like something I'd be interested in helping out if time permits and I have a few questions:

Do you need to be in a Jeep to access the work area?
                      Would my little yellow CJ5 make it?
                      I can't access the link posted above, says I don't have permission.?

Comment

Originally posted by HeavyIron View Post
                        This looks like something I'd be interested in helping out if time permits and I have a few questions:

Do you need to be in a Jeep to access the work area?
                        I can't access the link posted above, says I don't have permission.?
                        To answer your questions...
                        A jeep or other 4x4 vehicle. 33's and one locker helps. We almost always have open seats just in case.

Accessing the link is not possible for non aat members. I forgot that and apologize. If you want to go just pm me and ill giive you info.
                        Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by HeavyIron View Post
                          After seeing your little jeep in cougar buttes once or twice, I'd say it would be just fine!
                          [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
                          www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Comment

Info for those not able to access the link:

Date: November 16-17
                            Meet time: 8am for breakfast, 9 am for meeting
                            Meet place: NS Cafe Fawnskin

Required:
                            PPE
                            Tools
                            Water
                            Lunch
                            trailers if you have them
                            Jeeps with hitches

Comment

I've got a receiver but no hitch, is it worth it to go get a hitch? I have wiring for lights but never used them.

Comment

Working...
                              X