X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Discussion: Forgotten portion of Route 66 - through Cajon Pass

I thought this was an interesting article
    http://www.backroadswest.com/trips/2...path-route-66/

Be sure to watch the video. It's really well done.

Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
    Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
    HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Very nice. Thanks for finding it.
    Rich

Comment

Thats cool. I have gone this way a hundred times to avoid traffic and had no clue about the history of the trail
      [COLOR="YellowGreen"]"You cant fit 2 fingers in my tailpipe"[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by dr.dirty View Post
        Thats cool. I have gone this way a hundred times to avoid traffic and had no clue about the history of the trail
        Same for me. Brings a better connection to the areas we traverse. I haven't found the train overlook yet. Mike posted it a while ago.

TreadLightly Trainer
        HAM - KI6PFO

Comment

Originally posted by nwoods View Post
          I haven't found the train overlook yet. Mike posted it a while ago.
          Hill 582?

http://www.trainmaster.ch/XC-02.htm
          Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

Yes! Thanks Doug

TreadLightly Trainer
            HAM - KI6PFO

Comment

I've been out there exploring a bunch of times. Neat stuff to see and learn about. The Summit Inn restaurant at the top of the pass has some cool stuff outside and inside. Lots of cool train watching (fanning) spots.

Mitch

Comment

Hey Nathan, I just watched that video. Very awesome to me. I've been on 3N45 dozens of times, including in my Ford Taurus bypassing the 15 Fwy that was closed due to a fire. I learned a few things, the kind of stuff I alwayed researched when sniffing out the 110 mines that I went inside of. A life time of memories

Thanks for the post!

Comment

I've been through this area for many years and never knew the historical significance of many of the things I would see. being a history buff, this video and article have made me want to go back to these locations and view them with a new perspective. Thanks, Nathan.
                  Just remember..........that light at the end of the tunnel may be a muzzle flash.

Comment

Thanks for the info .ive been all over that place but I guess I never looked up .talked wifey into takin a cruise out to feed the birds then up to b.b.for lunch.happy holiday to all.

Comment

What an incredibly good video! I wish that I knew what software that they used to put that together. Impressive.
                      I was surprised to learn the the oldest RR Track path is still used. This vid clarifies some of the things that I have been wanting to find in the Cajon Pass.

A new exploration trip may be needed this Fall!
                      [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
                      Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
                      [/COLOR]

Comment

I finally took 3N45 to the 138. With all the rain ruts, you sure would not want to take a low clearance vehicle on that.
                        Rich

Comment

Is that the trail a couple of guys just got stranded during the last snow storm? I heard that they had to be rescued the next day after they spent the night on the trail. I've been searching for the story on that one.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason View Post
                            Is that the trail a couple of guys just got stranded during the last snow storm? I heard that they had to be rescued the next day after they spent the night on the trail. I've been searching for the story on that one.
                            Not familiar with the story.
                            Rich

Comment

Originally posted by Jason View Post
                              The people got stranded on 1N17 White Mountain. They drove up 4N16 from Hesperia completely unprepared for what was waiting for them in the mountains.

http://www.sbsun.com/general-news/20...ain-south-peak
                              Last edited by FishPOET; 01-24-16, 11:08 AM.
                              Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

Working...
                              X