Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Rubicon Replacement

Well. Kalah and I had been planning for nearly a year to join some fellow MJR folks on the Rubicon earlier this month. My final shakedown run for the Jeep was a fun little trail here in AZ on July 13th. I had the Jeep loaded down with my Brother-In-Law and his 3 kids who were visiting from Kansas City. On the way up I kept hearing a clunk from the driver rear... I got out to check and found that the Upper Control Arm mount had ripped off of the frame and torn a giant hole in the frame... Eek. We rigged it up so do some mild wheeling and then...

The Jeep was towed back the 2 hours to where I live and dropped off to be repaired. I still don't have it back yet. Thankfully I have awesome insurance and out of the $14,500 the estimate came in at, I'm only in for $250. I know, I know... I should have kept the money and fixed it myself, but sadly I don't have the time to hassle with everything so I just left it at the shop for them to do the work. I'm told I'll have it back by early September with a brand new frame and a few other things.

Any whos. Kalah and I figured since we had the time off from work, and some spare $$ we'd do a different sort of adventure. Backpacking the Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon, and Zion National Parks. We drove over 1100 miles, covered 41 on foot, and gained and lost about 13,000 feet in elevation; I even got to do some mild free climbing.

The photos were taken with our GoPro (we'd never used it as a camera before) and are all unedited. I think they turned out pretty well, except we managed to always get the edge of a finger in the shot.

Start of Bright Angel trail at 4a. We wanted to make sure we hit the river by 9a to avoid the midday heat.

Looking down towards Indian Gardens campground.

Looking up from where we'd just come from.

A little over half way down, still no sign of the river below.

Finally!!

We only had another 1.5 miles, mostly in sand, from here. We set up camp and relaxed in Bright Angel Creek and tried to stay cool. The summer time temps down here were registering about 115.

This was on our trip back out. We were only covering about 5 miles to our next camp at Indian Gardens, again we were on the trail at 4a to avoid moving in the heat.

Believe it or not, that's about a 15 foot waterfall by my right foot.

These little dudes were crazy. If I'd of had a 22 with me we'd have ate squirrel. Woke up to this guy trying to get in my day pack, inside the tent. Ran him off only to have him come back a few minutes later.

Our evening at Indian Gardens we did a short 3 mile hike out to a point overlooking the river. We made dinner and enjoyed a nice sunset.

At this point of our final hike back out of the Canyon we thought it would be funny to pose next to the "Up is Mandatory" sign... Kalah had to pick her legs up with her hands the last couple miles as her hips were pretty sore, I managed to screw up my left knee as well. That made it rough coming out with all our gear.
    USMC F&AM

Once out of the Grand Canyon we set out on a 5 hour drive to Bryce Canyon. In need of a shower and real bed we found the cheapest hotel we could that had a room... $80 to stay in a closet of a double wide! Awesome. At least the shower was warm water and the nearby restaurant had great food.

This was at the start of our quick hike in Bryce the following day. We were doing a short hike, making lunch, then headed to Zion for the next several days.

The rock formations here are called Hoodoos, which is also the name of a local near beer (it is Utah) that I took a liking to.

We were both stoked to endure more switchbacks...

Two Bridges I think was the name of this very short side hike. These were two land bridges at different heights. Oh! And the finger makes an appearance.

The lighter colored rock in the center of the shot is referred to as Queen's Garden as it has a VERY striking resemblance to a statue that resides in, well, the Queen's Garden.

This is what a 31 mile horizon line looks like. At one point in time (so the sign told me) this canyon didn't exist and we could have walked straight across to the mountains on the other side.

Next we set out for Zion National Park; we'll for sure be going back here for a lengthy backpacking trip soon. This place was amazing. On our way in we saw some Mountain Big Horn, the male is the darker one in the center of the shot, no zoom on the GoPro. I nicknamed him Heff since he had so many ladies with him.

The next day we set out to do the Emerald Pools, Grotto, and Angels Landing hikes. This is of the Lower Emerald Pools. There was twin water falls here that fed these pools.

This is a shot of the chains you should hold for the last half mile or so of Angels Landing as you climb up a rather steep ridge with about 1500 foot sheer drops about 3 feet to either side of you.

Here's a shot of the ridge with the chains.

A shot from the top. The Virgin River flows about 2200 (if I recall right) feet below us here.

This is looking up at Angels Landing from the river.
    USMC F&AM

Comment

We took a day off to relax and shop in Springdale, but not before checking out the entrance to the Narrows around 2p. This confirmed that we'd indeed head into The Narrows early in the morning to avoid the crowds.

The Narrows hike can either be ran Bottom Up (day hike) or Top Down (backpacking with some top roping). We didn't have the Backcountry Permit to do the Top Down so we planned for the Bottom Up, a round trip of about 9.5 miles was our plan. Kalah's muscles finally caved and we were only able to do about 5 miles. Most of this hike is in the water, which was fun but a bit chilly in the early morning.

Starting The Narrows at about 7:30a. Much less crowding.

Was that an alligator?

Ribbon Falls is there on the right, this is used as one of your distance landmarks.

The further in you go, the more tight the walls get on the river.

This rock reminded me of Arockalypse in Logandale... I'm looking forward to nailing that one next time up there.

Here is the beginning of Wall Street, the main attraction in for this hike. Kalah was toast at this point so we had to turn around. I admire how far she made it in though as she was in pretty bad pain (mostly mental) on the way in. She hates feeling limited, and this trip proved to be a breaking point.

Since Kalah was moving a little slow and refused to allow me to carry her, I figured I give climbing Arockalypse a try. I probably should have taken are two day packs off of my back, but oh well.

Made it! I haven't done any climbing since the military.

Feeling good I attempted this climb to the cave above. I made it about 3/4 the way up before I couldn't get a grip on anything to climb higher. I was pretty wet from getting to this point as the water at my feet is about 5 feet deep and hid a lot of algae buildup on the wall making it impossible to use my feet.

The following morning I got up and enjoyed the hammock for a bit before we packed up to come home. That's the moon in the center of the shot. Kalah loves shots like these.

It was a great trip, one that I'm sure we'll never do all at once again. We for sure will make it back to Zion for a longer trip that will cover about 30 to 50 miles. We had a blast and really enjoyed ourselves, but I must say that I am pretty sure I still prefer to drive over rocks than walk across them.
      USMC F&AM

Comment

Some very cool places. Thanks for the report and photos!
        Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

That looks sweet

Comment

Great report. Thanks for sharing.

Hopefully your Jeep comes back like new!
            If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Love that beautiful country!
              holes = cowbell

Comment

Nice write up. Trips like that really help put things in perspective. Angels Landing is on my list of to do's.

Comment

That Angels' Landing is frickin amazing!
                  holes = cowbell

Comment

So what did you have to do for Kahla to get her to forgive you for breaking her Jeep?
                    The I am not gonna scratch it, kinda went out of the window there :doh
                    Last edited by aw12345; 08-19-13, 03:12 PM.

Comment

Awesome Chris! Wish you could have come to the Rubicon but you obviously made up for that with an epic adventure somewhere else!
                      [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                      [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                      http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by Materdaddy View Post
                        Hopefully your Jeep comes back like new!
                        Thanks! I hope it does too. We will know in a few weeks I guess.

Originally posted by Jason View Post
                        Nice write up. Trips like that really help put things in perspective. Angels Landing is on my list of to do's.
                        You are dead right sir, it really does help tremendously to get out like this. And you really should do that hike. It was amazing up there.

Originally posted by inVERt'D View Post
                        That Angels' Landing is frickin amazing!
                        Agreed. Kalah was hating that I was making her do more switchbacks and was less than excited when we saw the chains. I offered for us to stop there but she said she didn't climb all that way to not go to the top!

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
                        So what did you have to do for Kahla to get her to forgive you for breaking her Jeep?
                        The I am not gonna scratch it, kinda went out of the window there :doh
                        No kidding it did! She wasn't too thrilled with me but just wants it back to normal and has told me that I'm no longer allowed to run anything more difficult than Cakewalk and such... We'll see how long that lasts.

Originally posted by RAT View Post
                        Awesome Chris! Wish you could have come to the Rubicon but you obviously made up for that with an epic adventure somewhere else!
                        I wish we could have as well but everything happens for a reason. It would have really sucked to have gotten up there and had the UCA mount break and cause everyone to be held up. I'm stoked to see more shots from the trip! We'll be in for another one sometime.
                        USMC F&AM

Comment

Great trip report. MAJOR BUMMER about the Jeep, but glad you are all okay. I'm surprised to see how low the virgin river was in the Narrows. I did a few years ago with my kids, and it was flowing nicely....I think it was late April?

Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
                          Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
                          HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

Oh wow. It wasn't flowing much at all. No rain up there for about 3 weeks at that point. I think it was at about 33 cfm when we were there, basically a trickle.
                            USMC F&AM

Comment

Working...
                            X