Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Rubicon Trail Rookie Run 2013 on 33s

I belong to a local club in San Diego and we decided to have a Rubicon Trail run. If anyone told me I would be running my Jeep on the Rubicon Trail I would have told them they were crazy. I just got back from the hardest, most stressful offroading trip I have ever been on. July 8-10 proved to be a test of my driving skills and my Jeeps' capabilities especially since I was the smallest Jeep in the group(with the exception of the RC car Eric from Rubicon Expres was playing with while he was hiking the trail) and the least capable in most eyes. Here is my Big Red in all her glory. 33" Falken Wild Peaks, NO LOCKERS, a RE 3.5" SF lift, Currie HD Steering all on an 04 TJ "X" model. I am proud to report that there is no body damaged, I took bypasses as needed but there were some areas where there was no bypass and I was not winched, strapped or removed from my driver's seat at all. I had ALOT of good spotting from another member of the group who was assigned to me as my personal spotter. I was named Rookie of the Year for finishing the run. Enjoy.

IMG_1079_filtered by Renay Johnson, on Flickr

IMG_1052_filtered by Renay Johnson, on Flickr

IMG_1044_filtered by Renay Johnson, on Flickr

IMG_1003_filtered by Renay Johnson, on Flickr

IMG_0978_filtered by Renay Johnson, on Flickr

IMG_0962_filtered by Renay Johnson, on Flickr
    2004 TJ X
    Callsign: KJ6DHG

Congrats..."rookie" this probrably gave you some idea of what direction to take your jeep for the future....cuz it never ends!

Comment

Great Pictures and glad you had a great time. It's a trail everyone needs to run once.
      IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Great job. That's how it was done in the old days, when 33's were giant size tires. Sure keeps you busy.

Mike
        "They look Friendly" G. Custer

Comment

There's just something cool about doing a legendary trail with open diffs. Congrats!
          God forgives, rocks don't
          -sons of thunder

Comment

open diff and 33's, ain't nothing "rookie" on that!!! congrats!!!

Comment

Congrat's! It's satisfying conquering trails like this in an everyday rig.

I ran it with 31's Dakotas (Pepboys All Terrian) and no strap or winch for me either so it was a great trip. However the rear locker, Teraflex belly-up and rock rails certainly did their job. Need to make it up there again some day but Dusi is going to come first.

Funny, looking back the YJ looks so little...
              Last edited by GrimJeeper91; 07-22-13, 07:51 AM.
              '91 YJ 4.O, Auto, 4.5" Deaver, 1" BL, Rubi Flares, 35x12.50 MT/R's, D60 w/ Detroit, D30 w/ TrueTrac, Warn 9000XDI, York OBA, AA SYE, Belly Up Skid, LED's...

Comment

great job man! It is a trip that changes your life! No need to do anything to your rig. Enjoy it the way it is and save your money for beer!

Comment

Congrats Renay!

I ran it the first couple times open on 33's! Tons of fun indeed!

Glad you finally were able to run the Rubicon

Tam
                  2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
                  Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

I can't wait to go there some day
                    [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
                    www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Comment

Originally posted by JeepGal View Post
                      Congrats Renay!

I ran it the first couple times open on 33's! Tons of fun indeed!

Glad you finally were able to run the Rubicon

Tam
                      Thanks Tam! I knew you would appreciate my running the trail. Not many women drive the trail in their own Jeeps.
                      2004 TJ X
                      Callsign: KJ6DHG

Comment

Working...
                      X