Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Corral Canyon OHV

I've been wanting to check out the Corral Canyon OHV trails for some time now, so I planned a business trip down there yesterday - it was great to do phone calls and scheduling from the top of Bronco peak while gazing out over Mexico.

I ran 3 of the 4 Black diamond trails - Sidewinder, Bronco Peak and Bronco Flats.

Sidewinder was awesome and a great trail - Bronco Peak and Bronco flats the same - My JK wasn't equipped to do the Bronco Peak connector - rated Double Diamond.

The trails were as tough or tougher than the Big Bear trails and were like a cross between the Rubicon trail and the Cleghorn trail - real tight and windy through the trees with the Cleghorn slucies.

The JK did great on the trails, but coming down the north face of Bronco Peak had me wondering - the obstacles kept getting harder and harder - not knowing the trails I was hoping I didn't have to turn around and go back up. But I finished the trails and was back on pavement by 1:30.

The trails are well worth the drive down there and would even entertain the card carrying KH's ("KnuckleHeads") in their modified vehicles.

In order to keep out of traffic I headed back through Indian country with great overlooks of the Anza Borrego SP and on into Julian for lunch. Great trip and was home by 6:30pm. I'll no doubt make a return visit.

A few pix

The NR is for "not recommended" and are for motorcycles and ATV's. The trails are very well marked.

The Sidewinder Trail

This was real steep

The gatekeeper on one end

Last edited by mkjeepers; 06-20-13, 12:08 PM.

The next trail was Bronco Peak

Lake Molena with Mexico in the background.

The top of Bronco Peak - great cell phone reception up there. Tecate is somewhere off in the distance

Nice trail

This was tight but I barely touched the sliders.

Bronco Peak Connector Trail - I skipped this one

Bronco Falls

Last edited by mkjeepers; 06-20-13, 12:25 PM.

Comment

The drive back through Indian country - beautiful area.

A great overlook of the Anza Borrego desert

Pacific Crest Trail below

Julian - a stop for gas and a great lunch at the bakery and sandwich shop.

Comment

I've been working on relocating all kinds of stuff under the Jeep and pretty much have things to where they work OK. Stuff that Jeep should have done.

I'm presently looking for a front double U joint driveshaft so the down travel doesn't rip it out of the transfer case. And the Jeep should be pretty much trail ready.

Comment

So you had to drive down Corral Canyon to get good cell reception ? So did you keep the gas and food receipt for your taxes ? Nice pictures.
          IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Originally posted by curtis View Post
            So did you keep the gas and food receipt for your taxes ?
            O absolutely - and cell reception was great. And I did sign up a new job.

Comment

That is awesome. I need your job! Looks like a ton of fun for a day.
              USMC F&AM

Comment

Originally posted by TipsE-Z View Post
                That is awesome. I need your job! Looks like a ton of fun for a day.
                It's a tough job checking out new 4 wheelin places, but someone's got to do it. Shaver Lake is next.

Hope there's cell reception there.

Comment

Looks like they've put in a couple new trails out there. Now I have to go back....

http://youtu.be/43MsBsBRMgI

http://youtu.be/g1E4D4fUVD0

Comment

Glad you had fun in my backyard. There are some challenging trails there. One bit of advice though, Don't run trails alone.. Meaning just the one vehicle assuming that's what you did. Very easy to cut a sidewall in Corral. Ive seen guys go through 3 tires in one day... One tire is "fine" but two and then what do you do? It's a LONG hike out.. And if you get stuck over night up there it gets down into the upper 30's low 40's sometimes . Even in the summer.
                    It's fun to get out on YOUR time on YOUR pace and stretch your legs but if your like me you want more and more and before you know it your in a diamond trail w/no turnout/bypass. Next time you go, head over to jeepforum.com san diego section and post up and you'll get a number of guys willing to meet up with you ..... including myself.
                    1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Comment

Thanks for the advice - I did walk most of Bronco Peak before running it.

Comment

Looks like a fun time!
                        [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
                        www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Comment

Originally posted by daniel_buck View Post
                          Looks like a fun time!
                          How's things coming concerning your move to Nevada Daniel?

Comment

I think I'm done relocating things for awhile. It's amazing that I haven't had to do anything to the TJ, but I've been under the JK all summer trying to get things where they should be.

DSCF3180 by mkjeepers, on Flickr

Comment

What was the weather like out there this time of year? Never heard of these trails but they look neat.

Comment

Working...
                              X