Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Red River, NM Relaxation

Well, the wife and I tend to travel for our birthdays every year. My wife and mother-in-law have a day and a few years separating theirs, so they always spend them together. This year would be no different, and with them living in Kansas City we chose Red River, NM as a good meeting point as it was about a 12 hour drive for both of us (though they made it in 9.5 driving the twin turbo Stealth).

When we first got into town we met some locals. There were 4 deer that were just cruising around town with out a care in the world.

My father-in-law and I played a little golf, I was all proud that I was beating him till I realized I had our scores backwards... Oh well, still only lost by 5 strokes after stringing together a back nine full of bogies and pars; even tossed a birdie in there.

Holes like this one always kick my butt, but I love to play em.

On the way back from the golf course we decided to do some exploring. Bobcat Canyon Trail was our selection as it offered a through route back into Red River, coming from Angel Fire. We ran into a few more locals.

The scenery here was amazing, the photos speak from themselves. I had to take a few poser shots though.

This one may just become my avatar soon...

I was itching to play a little, this was all that could be found.

We finished up the trail and ran back to the cabin, snatched up the wives and went back for another run of the trail, a bbq, and campfire. Kalah was taking some photos now, and she is much better at it than I am.

Guess she was checking me out... No idea she took this one.

The sunset was gorgeous, sadly my camera phone couldn't capture it.

The wind was whipping around pretty good and kept blowing out the camp grill, this was our solution.

The way back was going to be a cold one with no top on the Jeep and temps dropping to the low 40s. The girls had planned ahead and cocooned up in the back seat.

The next day we set out to catch some dinner. I caught two small guys that needed to grow up a bit before they hit the dinner plate. Kalah grabbed a pole while I was switching over to fly fish and snatched a VERY small keeper. I would have liked to toss him back but he'd swallowed the hook so deep that he was a goner; thus he hit the dinner plate.

Kalah gets the award for best dressed fisherman.

More fishing shots.

One of my small guys.
    USMC F&AM

On the way home we decided to use our free access to National Parks and check out the Painted Desert and Petrified Forest. This place was amazing, and really brought a new meaning to hard wood. The trees looked like tree, but felt like rock. Some of them had crystals in them.

This was the largest tree still in tact, they called it "Ole Faithful"; here I thought that involved water...

We found signs of the past and was amazed at how well these structures had stood through out time.

Some petroglyphs.

We met more locals.

It was a great trip with a lot of good relaxing. Getting up at 2a PST to drive out, then at 1a PST to drive back has kicked my butt, but I'm glad we did it.
    USMC F&AM

Comment

Very nice pics and scenery

Comment

That is some beautiful country. I could get used to that!
        holes = cowbell

Comment

It really was amazing up there, I now know what my retirement plan will be... Cabin in the mountains only accessible by 4x4.

I forgot another bonus form the weekend. GM was up there doing altitude testing on the 2013/14 Camero's and Corvette's. They all sounded amazing, and the rear end of the 2014 Vette looked much better than this years. I really hope they produce it.
          Last edited by TipsE-Z; 05-19-13, 11:14 PM.
          USMC F&AM

Comment

Really amazing country we have aint it. Thanks for showing me more of it, great pic's
            Dennis and Tammy
            Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Comment

Nice report Chris. You covered my 2 favorite hobbies. That course looks quite fun.
              Check out .

Comment

Originally posted by TipsE-Z View Post
                It really was amazing up there, I now know what my retirement plan will be... Cabin in the mountains only accessible by 4x4.
                I can definitely relate. What a lot of people find out when they get that age is that they want to be closer to the comforts and conveniences of cities and hospitals. Carpe diem.
                holes = cowbell

Comment

Chris,

Looks like a very relaxing trip. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by dirtman13 View Post
                    Nice report Chris. You covered my 2 favorite hobbies. That course looks quite fun.
                    That course was a blast, super freaking tight with lots of trees. The back nine had a stream that flowed across every single fairway, really made you think about shot placement and club selection.
                    USMC F&AM

Comment

Originally posted by GP4Play View Post
                      Really amazing country we have aint it.
                      It really is. So many amazing sites to see. If all goes as planned we'll be taking the entire month of August off and seeing a lot more of it.

Originally posted by inVERt'D View Post
                      I can definitely relate. What a lot of people find out when they get that age is that they want to be closer to the comforts and conveniences of cities and hospitals. Carpe diem.
                      I hope to be in good enough health to not have to be near hospitals. My wife is big into natural medicine (no we don't smoke pot), and as such I feel like we'll both be healthy. She's a bit of a hippie, but it works well for us.

Originally posted by Mitch View Post
                      Chris,

Looks like a very relaxing trip. Thanks for sharing.
                      No worries! We did indeed get some good relaxation in.
                      USMC F&AM

Comment

Originally posted by TipsE-Z View Post
                        That course was a blast, super freaking tight with lots of trees. The back nine had a stream that flowed across every single fairway, really made you think about shot placement and club selection.
                        Reminds me of Incline Village in Tahoe. I'm planning on playing it after we come off the Rubicon. http://www.golfincline.com/
                        Check out .

Comment

Originally posted by dirtman13 View Post
                          Reminds me of Incline Village in Tahoe. I'm planning on playing it after we come off the Rubicon. http://www.golfincline.com/
                          The mountain course looks like it'd be a fun one, and pretty quick to get around.
                          USMC F&AM

Comment

Working...
                          X