Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Lower Coyote Canyon, ABDSP - May 11th & 12th 2013

One of my favorite areas to camp and explore in the Anza-Borrego Desert State Park is Sheep and Lower Coyote Canyons, located North West of the town of Borrego Springs, CA. Being somewhat secluded and accessible only with 4 wheel drive (besides foot or on horseback), its usually easy to escape the crowds here.

The original goal was to camp up in Sheep Canyon with my family, hike to some of the nearby streams and waterfalls, and generally just relax and soak in the beautiful desert landscape. Unfortunately my wife ended up having too much school work to finish up, so I ended up heading out alone on this trip. However, I was able to spend some time with my girls at Dos Picos Park in Ramona, CA before I headed out to brave the desert heat.

Click here to see the whole trip report and more photos: [COLOR="#FF0000"]Sheep & Lower Coyote Canyon, Anza-Borrego Desert State Park[/COLOR]

What did that Jeep do to piss off that scorpion?
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
    [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
    http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Love all the desert pics, way cool hike

Comment

Nice trip report and pictures. Thanks.
        Rich

Comment

Great report. I miss not being able to drive from Hemet to Borrego
          IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

John,

Thanks for posting your report. Coyote Canyon is a beautiful and historic place. It's sad that the three mile stretch in the middle has been closed to motorized travel.

Russ
            If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
            KI6MLU

Comment

Thanks guys!

It does suck that we can't drive the whole canyon anymore. One of these days I'd like to backpack through from Anza to Borrego Springs. You could drive in beforehand and bury a cache of food and water somewhere too.

Comment

Great photos as always, John!

I've gotten to know some people here who were very involved with fighting the "temporary" closure of the canyon both before it happened and afterwards. Just shows what happens when you compromise.
                holes = cowbell

Comment

Great report!
                  Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
                  Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
                  HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

Working...
                  X