Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Run: Johnson Valley exploration day trip Sat 2/23/13

Hi all,

Sorry about the late notice. I guess that is why I end up going out by myself most of the time.

I am new to this forum, in fact this is my first post, but I am not new to forums or off roading. I hope to meet some nice folks who like to explore.

I will be going on a day trip to eastern Johnson Valley to explore some new routes on Sat 2/23/13. Not Hammer trails, but there could be rocks, goat trails, no trail, etc.

Double locked, 33's, and not afraid of brush scratches should be fine. Fear of heights would be a negative on this trip!

I will be filling up at the 76 in Lucerne Valley at about 8 AM and heading out from there. I hope to be back on the pavement by dark. I will be in my 1984 4Runner, blue with red fenders, on 35's.

Thanks,

Mark Matthews
    cell 626-260-2481
    Last edited by TurtleTruck; 02-21-13, 10:19 AM.
    Mark Matthews
    All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

Welcome to MJR Mark!
    I'm planning to run Dawn O' Day and White Mtn in the snow with Roger. You are welcome to join us as well.
    If you are set on a JV exploration, have fun and post pics! We like pics around here....
    [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
    Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
    [/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
      Welcome to MJR Mark!
      I'm planning to run Dawn O' Day and White Mtn in the snow with Roger. You are welcome to join us as well.
      If you are set on a JV exploration, have fun and post pics! We like pics around here....
      Mike....what day are u going? Have room for one more?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
        Welcome to MJR Mark!
        Thanks Mike for the invite. I am set on JV on Sat, but it would be good for me to come on other trips with you folks so that we can meet.

Originally posted by RonR. View Post
        Mike....what day are u going? Have room for one more?
        RonR, wow, my first thread here and it is hijacked! :hijack: :wink:
        Mark Matthews

Comment

Wow sounds like fun, but unfortunately I already had other plans. But don't quit asking, Kevin. 71 Landcruiser

Comment

Originally posted by TurtleTruck View Post
            Thanks Mike for the invite. I am set on JV on Sat, but it would be good for me to come on other trips with you folks so that we can meet.

RonR, wow, my first thread here and it is hijacked! :hijack: :wink:
            Hijacked thread??????.....learned something new.....real sorry. That won't happen again!

Comment

Hijacked thread??????.....learned something new.....real sorry. That won't happen again!
              Seems like we do a lot of that mostly unintentional, it's more like friendly banter among friends

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
                Seems like we do a lot of that mostly unintentional, it's more like friendly banter among friends
                Agreed. Hence my "winking" emoticon at the end of the statement. Just my twisted humor. I thought that it was funny that my first thread here was "hijacked" with an off topic personal comment to someone else.

No worries. I can see that things here are pretty laid back and I like that.
                Mark Matthews

Comment

So Mark, how was the run? Did you find any cool stuff? Any pics?
                  [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
                  Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
                  [/COLOR]

Comment

I had a great day. I found several new routes and bypasses that I will possibly use in future KOH race courses.

I was denied by a single track I had found on Google Earth. This will be something to go back and work on with at least 1, better 2 other rigs. I started up it where it got steep and loose and almost got sideways and stuck! That got the adrenaline going. Luckily I was able to back down with my tail between my legs. Sorry, no pictures of this, I was too busy getting out of the situation.

Around noon the wind picked up to about 25 mph sustained and even stronger gusts that caused the entire desert to become a dust bowl. Visibility was down to only 3 or 4 miles, worse on the lakebeds. I headed home at round 2 PM, tired of the dust.

In all about 50 miles off road.

All that is left from Hammertown. This is the main firepit.

A nice new section that can bypass a previous bottleneck. Someone else worked this, probably from a single track. This is about as rocky as it got.

Another view

Found a very nice, smooth, 2 track in this area shortly before getting denied on the single track.
                    Mark Matthews

Comment

For those who do not know Mark, he is one really nice guy. He has been laying out the KOH race course with Dave Cole I believe since the beginning. I have helped Mark out there a couple of times and always enjoy the work.

Mark, I was off on a street bike adventure yesterday morning and saw you on Bear Valley Rd around 7:30.

Rich
                      Rich

Comment

Oh and one of these days I need to change my avatar, I sold the FToy and now have a V8 buggy made my Rick Moneyham.
                        Rich

Comment

Thanks Rich, very kind. Good to hear from you.

Yes, I have been involved in KOH since 2008. I coordinated Film Crew Transport for 5 years, and designed the course, did all the GPS files, and maps the last 3 years, with input and approval from Jeff and Dave, now just Dave.
                          Mark Matthews

Comment

Thanks for all that you have done for the sport!
                            IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

You got EZ's buggy? Nice work Rich! How's that treating you?
                              Best, Maxwell
                              "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                              X