Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Carnage on the edge

Well like Art said, today was a day for breaking jeeps. To cold to climb rocks. We started off on Hammer Down and broke two pitman arms. Then on a new little trail going out of HD I broke my front axle.

A couple of pictures.

Broken

So four of us went home and the rest went to Bullfrog to play.
    IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Looks like fun! So who broke what?
    "The Jeep...is a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve."

Comment

Scott one pitman arm. Randy ripped a valve stem off and bend the snot out of his tierod, also did a really cool balancing act on Hammer down. Fellow from Bakersfield broke a pitman arm also, I let him borrow my spare to get out of the trail. He had his wife bring one from home and had it fixed when I headed home. Curtis either an axle shaft or his front Detroit bit the dust.
      Fun stuff eh, whole lot of broken stuff for not traveling more than a few miles

Comment

i replaced the pitman arm and now will be carrying a spare and a pitman arm puller.im just glad it broke close to home.

Comment

Yup some of the right tools and just the right spare part goes a long way, in your case try a stock pitman arm, they are a lot less prone to breaking

Comment

After my wife brought my spare pitman arm from home, i had it up and running in no time. It actually handled pretty well driving back home. Thanks for all the help getting it down the hill with a broken pitman arm and also thanks for letting me use the one to get it off the rest of the trail. It was a cold day indeed but I had a great time and it was great to meet new people.

Comment

Another one bites the dust.LOL

IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Comment

That's a pretty clean break, I guess they don't make them Superior shafts like they used to anymore.
                Time to come join the big dogs Curtis and leave all ya troubles behind :2:

Comment

You can't beat the warranty. To bad they moved to vegas. Takes a week to get a new axle instead of one day.
                  Just might be time to sell this jeep and build a new one.

Comment

Originally posted by curtis View Post
                    Just might be time to sell this jeep and build a new one.
                    I call Dibs!
                    Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
                    Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
                    HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

front or rear??
                      [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                      [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                      http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Front,driver side.

Comment

Front,driver side.
                          So did it break being jammed hard or under normal conditions. What brand are they?

Comment

Ouch, now that is a real break. How many splines are those.

I hope I have better luck at Calico this weekend. Did you fix it on the trail Curtis? I broke my front track bar mount on the very beginning of Bullfrog once. Long day dragging it back to my trailer. If anyone wants to come to Calico I will be there Friday until Sunday.We are doing an all day run on Saturday up Odessa over to the Overlook down Doran and then Gatekeeper. We will be at Mule Canyon Camping. Happy New year to all of you too.

Comment

Originally posted by mkjeepers View Post
                              So did it break being jammed hard or under normal conditions. What brand are they?
                              Jammed hard, Superior Axle, 27 spline, ( Evolution ).
                              Last edited by curtis; 01-01-13, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X