Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Joshua Tree Mines #2

I was able to make a second trip out to Joshua Tree NP to check out some more of the hidden historic sites dating back to the mining and cattle ranching days around the turn of last century.

We checked out the Keys Ranch which dates back to before 1910. Bill Keys lived there from 1910 to 1963 when he died. He and his wife had 7 children and raised them on the ranch. In 1943 he shot Worth Bagly and spent 10 years in prison for it. He also had an association with the Haney gang which were known for their rustling of cattle and keeping them in the Joshua Tree area. The ranch has just about anything you can think of for everyday conveniences. There are some 300 mine sites in the JTNP. So far I have found 2.

The cattle ranchers from the Joshua Tree area would drive their herds up into the Big Bear area for the summers and then down through Burns canyon and on into Joshua Tree NP area for the winter months.

From there we checked out the JT indian pictographs and on over to the Barker dam which was used by the cattle ranches to water their cattle.

Since we were in the area we went over to the Wall St Mill site again and took a few pictures of the old mill.

After a little rock climbing we headed for our last stop at Ryan Ranch. In 1896 the ranch was used as a bunkhouse by the miners of the Lost Horse mine. They piped water from the spring by the bunkhouse 3.5 miles over to the mine. There are several water storage tanks there as well as a couple of pump houses.

A few slideshows. Photobucket take a little while to load up.

Keys Ranch
    http://s304.photobucket.com/albums/n...view=slideshow

Wall St Mill

Ryan Ranch

The Keys school house. Mrs Keys taught her kids and several others from the area.

The Ranch House

Lots of aquired junk

Hard top was off of an old Model T

In case you want to know how it works

The old car was used as a chicken coop.

The saw mill

This was an old Mack truck - with chain drive

Stamp mill

Pictographs

Barker Dam. The dams hight was added to by the Keys family at a later date - Concrete above the rock wall.

Barker Ranch House

Wall St Mill

Ryan Ranch Bunkhouse

One of the newer water tanks

Old stamp crusher

Last edited by mkjeepers; 12-08-12, 01:14 PM.

WOW! Okay. This trip just got moved to the top of the list.
    How much hiking is involved so that I can plan appropriately?
    [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
    Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
    [/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
      WOW! Okay. This trip just got moved to the top of the list.
      How much hiking is involved so that I can plan appropriately?
      Well.....the Keys ranch is a guided tour by the park service. It's a 5$ per person fee that can be paid by credit card by calling the main gate. Ph# 760-367-5555 I think you need to give them a call a day or so in advance. The tour is worthwhile taking. Parking is at the ranch site. The other sites are self guided tours.

The pictographs and Barker dam are on the same trail which is in total length of about a mile. The Ryan ranch is approx a mile round trip. And the Wall St mill is about a mile and a half round trip. The Barker ranch house is also on that trail.

All the hiking is on flat ground and weaves through the granite rock piles. Go online to the JTNP site and click on their park map and it will show you the trail locations. They're all real close together.

Comment

Mike K,

Very nice pictures as always.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch View Post
          Mike K,

Very nice pictures as always.
          It's a great place to spend the day.

Comment

Wow, great pictures! Definitely looks like I need to check it out!
            WILL WORK FOR JEEP PARTS!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mkjeepers View Post
              It's a great place to spend the day.
              I've never been out there. Your pics have me thinking that spending 3-4 days is more like it!

Comment

Originally posted by hole View Post
                I've never been out there. Your pics have me thinking that spending 3-4 days is more like it!
                The campgrounds are very nice, most are nestled in the granite rocks.

Comment

Originally posted by mkjeepers View Post
                  The campgrounds are very nice, most are nestled in the granite rocks.
                  Which would you recommend, spring or fall?

Comment

[COLOR="#800000"]Lived in the area for 14 years. I recommend spring, specifically when the Ocotillo Garden is in bloom, or the wildflowers are in bloom. Call the JTNP headquarters to find out when that is. Or you can go to THIS WEBSITE to get updates on the flower bloom. I'm going to have to plan a trip out there to make the Mrs. happy.[/COLOR]
                    Last edited by USMC 0369; 12-14-12, 12:35 PM.
                    [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
                    Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

Thank you sir. I'll run this info past my trailmates for consideration. When I was in my 20's, the thought of going to a "Park" or "Preserve" brought up images of places with too many rangers with rules and restrictions so we avoided them. Now that I'm in my 40's I find it easier to go with the flow, although, I'm still not too fond of rules and restrictions

Comment

Working...
                      X