Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: T-Day in the Desert

[COLOR=#a52a2a]PART ONE[/COLOR]

I hope that everyone had a great Thanksgiving!

We certainly did! For 5 years running, we have been doing a Thanksgiving adventure somewhere in the desert. This year, we went to the southern part of the Anza-Borrego State Park. The weather was fantastic! Mid-80's in the day and the coldest it got at night was 50 degrees. Beats the hell out of 8 degrees at night 2 years ago! Kevin and Chris (1 BAD F N Z), Scott, Amy, Chloe, Thian, and their three dogs (Dr.Dirty), and Sharon and I went to grab a campsite on Wednesday. There were three other camps set up when we arrived, but we still had plenty of room close to the vault toilets:

After setting up, we still had half a day left, so we took the Jeeps and struck out for the Dolomite Mine:

Afterwards, we came back to camp and went to explore the local area. We camped at Mountain Palm Springs Campground which is at the foot of the trails leading up into a couple of canyons with palm trees still remaining from the days when the desert was a savanna thousands of years ago. We drove to the trailhead, grabbed some waters and hiked the 3/4 mile trail:

At first, the palms were few and scattered:

And then we got to the Torote Bowl:

The reason that these groves are able to survive is that there is water seeping out of the canyons. At the Torote Bowl, there is a sizable pool hidden in the palms:

Nick and Barb (USMC0369) joined us that evening. They stayed through to Friday morning and went to the Galleta Meadows on Thursday. Thanks again for the map of the art sites that you got me!

On Thanksgiving, we set out down Canyon Sin Nombre Road to find a slot canyon that I had seen photos of on Google Earth. The canyon was easy to find and definitely didn't disappoint:

From there, we crossed over to Arroyo Seco del Diablo to look for a canyon that I had heard had some cool rock features, and it certainly did:

But I think that the coolest thing about this canyon was the dried up pool that we found:

From there we went to find some Mud Caves. We checked out a couple and then had lunch in the shade:

We backtracked to Carrizo Creek Wash to splash in the water that I have seen photos of, but the trail was dry as a bone the whole way. For those that have been there before, did I miss it somehow?:

We found the old Butterfield Stagecoach stop at the end of the trail. Nothing is left standing, but the adobe and stick roof can still be seen in places:

There were several modern features around the stage stop. One of which was this old tractor that Sharon tried to whip back to life:

We left the area by going out Vallecito Wash but we had some unexpected company. I'm assuming that this guy was Border Patrol, but it had no markings. The chopper was super quiet too:

Before reaching pavement, we made a couple of quick stops at the Hollywood and Vine sign:

And at Palm Spring, which was an intermediate stage stop for the Butterfield Stage line:

Back at camp, Russ Chung had arrived and we all started cooking for the Thanksgiving Feast:

And Feast it was! We had deep-fried turkey, fresh mashed potatoes and gravy, dutch-oven baked macaroni and cheese, green beans, home-made cranberry sauce, cornbread stuffing, pumpkin pie, red velvet cake, German chocolate cake, and I'm sure that I missed something, but I could only eat so much! The turkey did turn out nicely if I do say so myself:

To be continued.......
    Last edited by Mike; 11-26-12, 02:03 AM.
    [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
    Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
    [/COLOR]

Part Two

There was no cell service at the campsite, but I had talked to Kurt (RAT) on Thursday and he thought that he might join us on Friday so we hung around camp a little later than originally planned to see if he was going to show. He didn't, but as it turned out, Bob and Joy (Mtbikbob) rolled up ready to go wheelin'. I'm glad that we were still in camp!

Nick, Barb, Kevin, and Chris stayed in camp and headed home that day. The rest of us headed for the border for Friday's festivities. I have to say that this day was my personal favorite of the weekend. The trail is not too crazy tough, but definitely has some pucker factor moments. It is REALLY scenic and is short enough to do other things in the area if you are so inclined.

The trail is right on the Mexican border and amazingly enough, it is still in the Anza-Borrego State Park. We climbed up the trail for a bit and then stopped to hike out to the Smuggler's Cave:

The rock is hollowed out underneath and has a fairly large open space.

When we got back to the Jeeps, a Chevy pick-up and an Expedition passed us by. We soon caught up to them and the Expedition seemed to be having some serious trouble with the trail:

They soon let us play through, and we started the steep and rocky climb to the Elliot Mine:

The mine is at a high point in the area that overlooks the Valley of the Moon:

After we left the mine, we took some side trails that were a lot of fun. The road winds right along the Mexican border and you can see the big fence far down below:

We exited the trails on a very narrow and steep shelf road:

Scott suggested that we should run the trails in the opposite direction next time and I have to say that sounds like a great plan. This is a trail that I will run again anytime that I am in the area.

Saturday morning, Bob and Joy joined us again for the day's adventure. We waited to see if Kurt was going to meet us, but he didn't show. After we got to an area with cell service, we learned that he wasn't going to be able to come this year. Sorry BFAM! We missed you out there.

Saturday was the long day. We set out to run the Diablo Drop Off, Sandstone Canyon, and Pinyon Mountain in the opposite direction of the normal flow.

The Diablo Drop Off was the gnarliest that I have ever seen it! The storms have washed big gullies on either side of the trail and the moguls and the top are the deepest that I have seen so far. Unfortunately, we didn't get pictures. We did get video, so I will work on posting it as soon as possible.

The canyon at the bottom was a little easier than usual at the beginning due to all the sand that has washed down into it, but the rest of the trail still has some chucky stuff:

Once we got out into the Fish Creek Wash, we headed north to Sandstone Canyon. I was VERY disappointed to find that the rock fall from two years ago had been cleared. Although, apparently a new rock has fallen to make a squeeze:

Two years ago, it looked like this:

The new rock still requires a mild amount of work to get by, but it just isn't what I had hoped for:

Even so, Sandstone Canyon is still a great place to explore:

And the natives are mostly friendly:

We did find a rocky by-pass for the big rock on the way back:

Running Pinyon Mountain in the opposite direction was a good time. The first obstacle is Roger's Falls:

Then we climbed up Heartattack Hill:

Going downhill through the rock garden was a breeze, but then we got to The Squeeze. This obstacle is TJ friendly:

But it seems to hate JK's:

Sharon got video of Scott jamming his JK through this thing. I'll try to post it up as soon as I can.

At the end of the trail, we said Goodbye to Bob and Joy and then headed back to camp:

Sunday morning, we broke down camp and went into Borrego Springs to check out the Sky Art of Galleto Meadows:

All-in-all, it was a very fun, very relaxing T-Day weekend with great friends. The weather was excellent, the area was interesting, and the company was awesome! Thank you all for coming and I hope that you had as much fun as I did.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
    Last edited by Mike; 11-26-12, 02:12 AM.

[/COLOR]

Comment

Looks like another fun time in the desert. I just couldn't get it together to get out there, but I really wanted to. Spirit was willing anyway... And you didn't get kidnapped at the border. Sweet!
      [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
      [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
      http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

What a great way to spend Thanksgiving. Great pic's thanks Mike
        Dennis and Tammy
        Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Comment

that looks like a fun area!
          [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
          www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Comment

It was an awesome trip. Mike I cant wait to see the squeeze video because I eneded up with two bent rear shafts hahahaa.
            [COLOR="YellowGreen"]"You cant fit 2 fingers in my tailpipe"[/COLOR]

Comment

Great trip report and pics!
              Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

Originally posted by dr.dirty View Post
                It was an awesome trip. Mike I cant wait to see the squeeze video because I eneded up with two bent rear shafts hahahaa.
                Oh crap dude! I'm sorry! Hopefully they are warrantied....

[/COLOR]

Comment

No issues If thats all it took to bend them than maybe i need to build bigger
                  [COLOR="YellowGreen"]"You cant fit 2 fingers in my tailpipe"[/COLOR]

Comment

Here we go...
                    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                    [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                    http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Very nice report & pictures Mike.
                      IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Need them fullfloaters in the rear and never look back

Comment

Mike - looks like the group saw a lot of neat places; great job of documenting it (as usual). I’ll have to make the next one.

Comment

Most of my photos are the same as the ones that Mike and Sharon have already posted, so I don't have many pictures to add. I joined the group on Thursday afternoon just in time for the Thanksgiving dinner.

It was a delicious dinner and it was wonderful to be able to share it with great friends. The weather was perfect; warm days and mild evenings with light winds. Too bad that Kurt and Sergio were unable to join us.

On Friday, Mike led us to the Elliott Mine trail near Jacumba. We hiked to Smuggler's Cave and drove through the hills along the U.S.-Mexico border. We returned to camp early in the afternoon and had time for a relaxing soak at the nearby Agua Caliente Hot Springs.

On Saturday, we ran Diablo Dropoff, Sandstone Canyon and the Pinyon Mountain Trail.

While waiting for some vehicles to clear the rock fall in Sandstone Canyon, Scott (Dr. Dirty) found a tarantula on the canyon wall:

On Sunday, we broke camp and drove to Borrego Springs to visit the Galletin Meadows public sculptures:

If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
                            KI6MLU

Comment

That bird looks like a British Lynx. They send their guys to the southwest for training. Not many deserts near London. Thanks for sharing!
                              God forgives, rocks don't
                              -sons of thunder

Comment

Working...
                              X