Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Run: Joshua Tree Mines

I went out to Joshua Tree NP today to check out some of the old mine sites that are within the National Park. There are 5 or so nicely preserved sites that are not very well known. Because of the time restraints I checked out 2 of them and then headed for the Old Dale Mining district as a way of exiting the NP. There are numerous mine sites in the Dale mining area that have well intact structures on them. I only had time for 3 0r 4 stops.

The other 3 sites in the JTNP will have to wait till next time. They are the Keys Ranch, Wild Horse mill and the Desert Queen mine.

As I have said before, if anyone likes this sort of exploring you need to make plans to see these sites - the sooner the better. Since the last time out there the sites have deteriorated significantly.

The 2 sites in the JTNP were the Barker Ranch house, near the Barker dam and the Wall Street Mill. JT is extremely scenic this time of the year and a great place to hike around - temps were in the low 60's.

Slideshow.
    http://s304.photobucket.com/albums/n...view=slideshow

Joshua Tree NP

Trail to the 2 mine sites.

Old water well pump

Barker Ranch house

First of a few old trucks

Old tombstone

The water well

Mill site info

This truck had a V8

Wall St mill

Cholla Gardens

Mission Mine 1981

Another mine site

Anther mine site

Last edited by mkjeepers; 11-02-12, 07:56 PM.

Great pics
    06 UNL RUBI 4.5 LA,KM 2-35's/ 4.88 BEADLOCKS/SKIDS/WINCH
    07 AT CHASER TRAILER

Comment

Awesome stuff! This just got added to the short list of things to explore. It's amazing what good condition some of the items are in considering their age.
      [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
      Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
      [/COLOR]

Comment

Looks like a great day in the desert. There are so many mine sites and old remains in a relatively small area in the old dale mining district that there is always something new to see that you missed the last time, its amazing. Can't wait to get out there again.

Comment

I only had time for just 2 of the JTNP sites - hoping to get out there again soon and check out the others. The Keys ranch has even more artifacts.

Comment

More awesome pictures Mike. Thank you for sharing your trips with us. I need to make plans for a day of exploring next time I'm back in California.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch View Post
              More awesome pictures Mike. Thank you for sharing your trips with us. I need to make plans for a day of exploring next time I'm back in California.
              The JTNP old mine sites would be, IMO, a great outing for a one day explore. The Mill St site is a mile hike at the most, the Keys ranch is much less and the Wild Horse site is about 2 easy miles each way.

Comment

Mike I would love to do that with you someday
                Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
                Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
                HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

Originally posted by nwoods View Post
                  Mike I would love to do that with you someday
                  It's certainly a good place to explore.

Comment

Nice pic's. I need to make a trip out there.

Comment

Wow!
                      I need to visit these areas before they disappear!
                      Thanks for sharing Mike.

Comment

cool to see the mission mine still open. I thought it would be closed due to being sold. Not sure if the sale ever went through or not.
                        KB1UTG (keep being one ultimate tough guy)

Comment

Originally posted by troyboy162 View Post
                          cool to see the mission mine still open. I thought it would be closed due to being sold. Not sure if the sale ever went through or not.
                          Someone has burned everythig that cold be burned at the site. From the ashes it looks like it had some wooden buildings there at one time.

Comment

Working...
                          X