Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Juniper Flats

To fight off bordom I headed up to the BLM Juniper Flats area above Hesperia. A very nice and scenic area with mostly all easy to moderate trails. There's a lot of scattered ranches situated among the granite boulders that cover this area. Then I headed over to the Luna Mt. trail and "attempted" to go on up the Coxey Truck trail to Big Bear.

Old prospects that looked like they dated back to the Big Bear gold rush era. A spanish prospector named Edwardo Luna and a couple others mined this area when Holcomb valley was too crowded. He never found much gold, but there are a few old mine sites in this area. Luna Mt. was named after Edwardo Luna.

The So Cal FJ's AAT work - nice.

This is a bit embarasing.... but ...... I wasn't paying attention and got 2 wheels off of the ledge road and couldn't get back on the trail safely.....so I had to call Hanna to come and rescue me in the Suburban.....but all was good and got the Jeep back on the trail.....it was well after dark before we got back to the highway. Sorry no pix's though.

Second attempt....I thought I would try a different Jeep this time and finish the trail.

This is a real scenic area.

Then on into Big Bear

Nice pics Mike. Big Bear is really nice right now. All Autumn-y and everything. I think I want to buy that Hippie bus. I'll retire there and grow, ummm, stuff.
    Thanks for the report and pics.
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
    [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
    http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

It looks vacant, you could move right in. There's another place out there called th Psyco Ranch if the bus isn't available.

Comment

Very nice Mike. Lots of interesting things in that area. Can't belive that you got stuck with two tires off the trail and no pictures of it

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch View Post
          Very nice Mike. Lots of interesting things in that area. Can't belive that you got stuck with two tires off the trail and no pictures of it
          The front tire was right on the edge and when I backed up it slid a little further, the I tried going forward and it slid a little more, then both front and rear were over the edge. There was nothing to hook the winch on. So the wife and Surbaban to the rescue.

Comment

How did you learn about Luna mountain and those Prospect holes and where are they?

Comment

Originally posted by chris142 View Post
              How did you learn about Luna mountain and those Prospect holes and where are they?
              Looked them up in the history of the SB mountains. I'm not sure if the diggings are Luna's, but the wooden stakes at the quartz vein are very old.

Comment

Chris,

I had a few books that listed several mines on and around Luna Mountain and that area. One was the small book/pamphlet called "Mines of the San Bernadino Mountains. Then grab a set of topo's and go explore. Get out the binoculars everytime you stop and scan for more. Mike once showed me a dozen out there that I never knew about. Now I'm jealous again. That was my favorite thing to do.

Mitch

Comment

Working...
                X