Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Run: LCC & Nightmare Gulch - Oct 20th

A few of us are heading to Last Chance Canyon, and probably Nightmare Gulch as well, on October 20th for a day run if anyone wants to join us :-)

We're meeting at the trailhead of LCC for airdown at 9:30am, hitting the trail shortly after that when everyone is ready to roll. Randsburg Rd & LCC Rd.

https://maps.google.com/maps?daddr=3...&sz=16&t=m&z=9

Anyone down in LA who wants to meet up with a few of us for the drive up there together, we're meeting at the Newhall exit off the 14, at the Carls Jr at 7:00am and rolling out at 7:15.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=N...mra=ls&t=m&z=9
    Last edited by daniel_buck; 10-12-12, 05:42 PM.
    [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
    www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

What's the trails like out there, only time I went was with some old timers and they usually avoid any difficult stuff...

Comment

there's bypasses for pretty much anything that would give a bone stock wrangler a challenge, from what I recall. (as I guess you already know)

But just about all the challenging spots can be done with a wrangler that has a mild lift and maybe 33" tires. I'd say a jeep with mild lift and 33's can do just about all the obstacles without being locked. There's a few that probably require a locker or two. Most of the trail is very easy, with nice scenery (if you like desert rocks and canyon type stuff). The one obstacle that really requires a spotter if you aren't seasoned, is the "v notch" area on LCC. If you don't have good placement you can start lifting up a tire pretty easy if your jeep doesn't flex alot. It's here in this photo, you have to ride up on the walls with the side wall of your tires pretty much.

If I recall, there's a spot on Nightmare gulch that are pretty tricky, but it's one of the more creative routes that most people probably avoid unless you have lockers. Going down it, probably any jeep can make it, you just have a pucker face on the way down, haha! Going backup, you probably won't make it without at least one locker. When I was there, only two people went back up it, and we both were locked front and rear. With lockers, going up wasn't all that difficult, just intimidating more than anything. But not near as pucker-face as going down it. It's by-passable though. Last to photos show that spot, down and up. Depending on which way you are headed on the trail, it's probably an easy spot to miss if you run the trail backwards.

There maybe be a few more creative corners here and there that would require lockers and some flexing, but for the most part, it's a fairly mild trail if you stick to the main trail. That's what I like about these trails, you can easily take a stock jeep through there, and big jeeps can still have a bit of fun too, depending on your choice of path. And great scenery

I've not been on LCC and Nightmare since January, so I don't know if things have changed.

Last edited by daniel_buck; 10-13-12, 05:50 AM.
      [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab

Comment

I remember that run... good times. Put us down as a possible participant. I just have to convince the project manager to go to Vegas that weekend and not work.

Hope to see ya. Temps ought to be just about right for this.

Comment

I know, right? I've been waiting for the heat to go down!

Comment

Okay, we are in and bringing two more jeeps from Ridgecrest.

Comment

Originally posted by DaK View Post
              Okay, we are in and bringing two more jeeps from Ridgecrest.
              You're leaving from ridgecrest? If so I can meet you somewhere and drive out with you if that's ok. Let me know.

Comment

Have fun guys, like I have to tell you that.
                [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Thanks for the info...

Comment

Originally posted by clg82 View Post
                    You're leaving from ridgecrest? If so I can meet you somewhere and drive out with you if that's ok. Let me know.
                    I am not leaving from Ridgecrest another gent is. Will give him this link and as to them to join the boards. Hopefully guys can hook up and caravan down.

Update:

Sent the guy an email asking him to join MJR so you can hook up with them.
                    Last edited by DaK; 10-15-12, 04:38 AM.

Comment

I am not leaving from Ridgecrest another gent is. Will give him this link and as to them to join the boards. Hopefully guys can hook up and caravan down.

Update:

Sent the guy an email asking him to join MJR so you can hook up with them.
                      no worries...i know where the entrance is off of garlock road so they can go on ahead without me...we will all be meeting up there anyhow lol.

Comment

I might be up for that, been awhile since I run this area. Hey DaK give me a call or
                        e-Mail.

Comment

3 are now coming from R/C to join the run do not know if clg82 is one of them. Oh this is shaping up nicely.
                          Last edited by DaK; 10-16-12, 04:58 AM.

Comment

3 are now coming from R/C to join the run do not know if clg82 is one of them. Oh this is shaping up nicely.
                            yes i'm driving there from ridgecrest, out of the 4 of us going from ridgecrest, does anybody know where the turn off is for nightmare gulch? i remember it was a big hill.....

Comment

Oh great, the run organizer doesn't know where the trail head is. :geek: You better figure it out before I get there Jr.:gun:

Comment

Working...
                              X