Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Living Ghost Towns

These are some pictures from a trip I did last spring to some of the still occupied 1800 mining towns near the Owens Valley. Talk about stepping back into history....some of the old cars, machinery and houses and people were quite interesting.

Keeler
    The first stop was to the old town of Keeler. Keeler was founded back in the 1870's as a town where the silver and lead ore was milled and smelted from the Cerro Gordo mines.

Origanally Swansea did most of the processing, but due to an earthquake causing some major damage, the main processing was moved to a new location in what is now the town of Keeler.

There still remains the old rock smelter on the east side of the highway that was used in those times to pre-process the ore before shipping it to the Los Angeles area.

Once the ore was processed it was shipped by steamboat across Owens Lake (now dry) to be wagoned to Los Angeles and then San Pedro to be finalized before being sent to the San Francisco mint. Keeler also had the Carson & Colorado rail road going through the center of town. The railroad was closed in 1960 and the tracks were then pulled up. The RR station still remains in town.

All that's left today is a large collection of old cars and old houses and buildings as well as a functioning post office.

Slideshow - Photobucket is a little slow at loading up...
    http://s304.photobucket.com/albums/n...view=slideshow

Train Depot

49 cents a gallon.

One of the many old cars

Cerro Gordo - Spanish for "Fat Hill"
    From Keeler I headed up the steep graded road to the town of Cerro Gordo. The graded road climbs 5000 ft in elevation in just 8 miles.

The Cerro Gordo mines produced somewhere around 13 million dollars in silver, making it one of the most prosperious mines in California. The population there was at one time around 1000 people.

I took the guided tour given by the caretaker and it was real interesting. The owners had both died and he is now the one keeping the town alive. The town dates back to the 1860's when silver was discovered. Hostile indians (Shoshone) made mining in those days slow and dangerous. Fort Indipendance was established to help keep the trouble to a minimum.

Some of the ore was smelted in CG and the rest was taken down the hill to Swansea, and Keeler and made into 100 to 300 LB bars and then shipped to San Pedro for the final processing. In the late 1800's, the towns of CG, Keeler and Darwin had a larger population than the Los Angeles area.

It's said that the amount of timber inside the CG mines is enough to build a tract of houses. I was denied my request to see it for myself.

Slideshow

Inside of the hotel

From CG I headed east and down from the 9000ft level into Death Valley NP past the Talc City mines and on into Darwin.

Darwin
    Darwin was named after a Dr. named Darwin French. He wanted to strike it rich, so when he heard there was silver in the Death Valley area he went in search of it. He aquired the Defiance mine - which is still being mined today. The mine produced over 1 1/2 million dollars in silver and lead.

Once word got out about the silver strike, the town of Darwin grew to around 4500 people, making it more populas than LA. The town consisted of a post office, school, stores, saloons and the other amenities that other mining towns had.

Today all that is left is the many miners shacks and houses, and remains of some of the old businesses - and of course lot of old cars. It still has a functioning post office. No services though.

Slideshow

Talc City Mines

The silver mine and miners shacks

The old post office

Gas was 29 cents a gallon here.

TowMater
    Last edited by mkjeepers; 09-25-12, 07:50 PM.

Wow, it reminds me of Darwin. (edited: I didnt read the captions, I see that there were pics of Darwin as well)

https://picasaweb.google.com/1115822...eat=directlink

We felt a bit out of place with the motorhome and all. Folks were really looking at us strangely.
    Last edited by JeepGal; 09-25-12, 09:02 PM.
    2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
    Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

Great pics Mike! I've been to Keeler and Cerro Gordo, but Darwin is still on my 'To-Do' list. Nice pics! Oops, did I say that already?
      [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
      Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
      [/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by JeepGal View Post
        Wow, it reminds me of Darwin. (edited: I didnt read the captions, I see that there were pics of Darwin as well)

https://picasaweb.google.com/1115822...eat=directlink

We felt a bit out of place with the motorhome and all. Folks were really looking at us strangely.
        Thanks for the added pix. I didn't have the nerve to get out and walk around the towns.

Here's a picture of the tailings from the silver mine.
        Last edited by mkjeepers; 09-25-12, 10:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
          Great pics Mike! I've been to Keeler and Cerro Gordo, but Darwin is still on my 'To-Do' list. Nice pics! Oops, did I say that already?
          If you do go there, take the old toll road from Darwin to Panimint Springs past Darwin falls and the Coy ponds. Usually you'll also find a lot of Burros in the canyon.

Comment

Mike,

Thanks for the great pictures. Cerro Gordo is a very cool place. Brian Nash hooked us up with a very cool, behind the scenes tour of the buildings, museum, and the old mill.

Comment

Great report Mike. Those are all great areas to explore. Just on the outskirts of Darwin are some great mines to explore.
              Check out .

Comment

Originally posted by mkjeepers View Post
                .. I didn't have the nerve to get out and walk around the towns.
                There were a bunch of cool things to look at in and around the buildings. A few of the citizens were artists, and had their artwork in the yards, some pretty cool sculptures and such. Some had interesting junk arrangements in the yards, as well as the cool teapot post.

It was very weird. Even though lots of folks saw us, none said hello. We felt very unwelcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch View Post
                  Mike,

Thanks for the great pictures. Cerro Gordo is a very cool place. Brian Nash hooked us up with a very cool, behind the scenes tour of the buildings, museum, and the old mill.
                  You know Mitch I was thinking you might be dieing for a mine tour, even if it is through pictures. Is Brian the caretaker in CG?

Comment

Originally posted by JeepGal View Post

It was very weird. Even though lots of folks saw us, none said hello. We felt very unwelcome.
                    I got that same feeling, so I didn't want to impose on anyone...... Well maybe next time I'll poke around a little more.

Comment

That unwelcome feeling seems to be very common around Darwin. Everyone I know that has been there has always felt like they are being watched and unwelcome. I like to drive through but do not like to stop. Very cool pictures, I can not wait to get back to the Death Valley area.

Comment

Im sure it probably has to do with all these cool old things still in buildings and such. Im sure people come and try to take stuff all the time.

Comment

It seems that many of these old historic places will slowly start to dissapear. The caretaker in CG said he's runnung out of reasons to give his wife on why they should stay there. He said the town would be ransaked in a matter of months if no one was there looking over it.

Comment

Mike,

I went there with Brian Nash (ECV Jeep) and the E. Clampus Vitus crew. The Clampers took a huge amount of supplies to the caretaker on one of their trips. Wire, building supplies, firewood, water, canned goods....... They have made a lifetime friend out there. And yes, it would be trashed and destroyed in no time

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch View Post
                              Mike,

I went there with Brian Nash (ECV Jeep) and the E. Clampus Vitus crew. The Clampers took a huge amount of supplies to the caretaker on one of their trips. Wire, building supplies, firewood, water, canned goods....... They have made a lifetime friend out there. And yes, it would be trashed and destroyed in no time
                              That's cool. The caretaker is retired and is supported mainly by donations from the tours he gives. There were 3 groups up there when I went, which was mid-week - he seems glad to see people and show them around.

He was a school teacher from Rialto high and since the owners died him and a couple others are full time up there.

Comment

Working...
                              X