Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rattlesnake Canyon (completed 9/22/2012)

Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Rattlesnake Canyon (completed 9/22/2012)

Just a quick update for you all on conditions in Rattlesnake Canyon. Our friends at the BLM have been busy. There is lots of shiny new barbed wire barricading the out of bounds areas, which I guess is okay as it does keep the hooligans out from where they should not be, but its a bit of an eyesore.

I was very disappointing by the actions taken at Two Hole Mine though. They did a pretty cool job creating a pedestrian only gate from the main canyon, leaving the mine to be a 1/2 mile walk or so. Finally, the MX and Side-by-sides have been kept out, which made the sandy wash quite easy to walk up, because the sand was relatively hard packed (no tires loosening up the sand), BUT, and this is a HUGE but, BLM pretty much destroyed the whole point of making the hike. They tore down the headframe on the main shaft, dynamited the main horizontal shaft, and then put up a bunch of barb wire all around both vertical shafts.

The irony is that they placed a shiny new sign at the trailhead that proudly encourages one to "Protect America's Resources". I can't quite figure out how destroying historic landmarks protects our resources... I really hate Land Use Nazisim.

The Mining Camp on the south end is crumbling a bit more each visit. The once proud Barn is not in good shape. The bunkhouse looks okay, and someone actually swept part of the floor which was nice. However, I had set up a Contest with the kids in our group to find the crane and bulldozer, only to discover that they have been removed! Not sure if it was "clean up", "salvage" or "collectors", but they are definitely gone forever.

The Barn:

Where the crane was:

There was a fair amount of water in the canyon, considering how hot its been. Lots of cows, but no snakes spotted this trip.

Pappy & Harriet's still rocks the town, and serves good food and cold beer (despite the signs)

Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
    Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
    HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Great pics and report. Too bad about the BLM "protecting" our resources. But it is nice to see so much water in the canyon. Must be from the mountain showers, 'cause it has been hot and dry at the base of the mountains.
    [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
    Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
    [/COLOR]

Comment

Amazing that destroying historical sites is protecting. That mine has been there for decades and never was there a problem. Now someone thinks we need protecting from ourselves. How disappointing again and again.

The mineshaft head frame before the BLM destroyed it.

The cool crane that was at the mining camp

And the mining camp garage before it starting to get destroyed.

So many fun places are disappearing. Really a shame.

Comment

Thanks for the update and post Nathan.

Comment

That is to bad that things have to be destroyed like this. I have never been up to that mine before and now there is no reason to. At least I got to see and enjoy it from Mitch's, pictures before it was destroyed.

Comment

Here are some additional photos from 2008:

Two Hole Mine

[img]http://nwoods.smugmug.com/Jeep-Adventures/Trail-Runs/Rattlesnake-Canyon-MJR/MJR-Rattlensake-20080517-03/297373190_eJxGK-X2.jpg[/img

The Crane

TreadLightly Trainer
            HAM - KI6PFO

Comment

I didnt know that mine was very extensive. Do the vertical shafts connect to the horizontal ones? Shame about the head frame.
              KB1UTG (keep being one ultimate tough guy)

Comment

Originally posted by troyboy162 View Post
                I didnt know that mine was very extensive. Do the vertical shafts connect to the horizontal ones? Shame about the head frame.
                I'm sure they did, but I sure didn't go down there! Not much further past Chuck in the mine photo is a vertical shaft going down. The horizontal shaft went quite a bit further in I think, but I can't remember for sure. All I really remember is some sketchy boards covering the internal shaft that I was not wild about crossing.

TreadLightly Trainer
                HAM - KI6PFO

Comment

If you look at a topo for that location, there are 2 other small tunnels around the backside of that hill. A fun place to explore.

Comment

Wow. I'm disgusted at the fact our Government feels that tearing down an historical site is protecting it. Unbelievable. Thanks for the heads up Nathan. I remember that trip in 08.
                    Check out .

Comment

More historical places destroyed. If not vandals, it's the government. How sad...
                      SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                      MJR moderator
                      MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                      Jeep Patrol Leader
                      Reforestation Supervisor
                      Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                      Eagle Scout

Comment

I archived this cache. Sorry to see what they did up there. This was the second cache I ever placed. I only have 1 still remaining in CA.

Jason
                        The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT be infringed!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by loop choke View Post
                          I archived this cache. Sorry to see what they did up there. This was the second cache I ever placed. I only have 1 still remaining in CA.

Jason
                          The good news is you visited MJR
                          Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

Working...
                          X