Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Eastern Sierras Adventure

I left La Habra at 7pm on Wednesday August 29, 2012. Linda met me at Kramer Junction and we continued North on US395. I arrived at my usual camping spot near US395 around 10pm.

On Thursday morning we were on the road by 7am. Our first stop was Fossil Falls.

More Fossil Falls photos can be seen here

After leaving Fossil Falls we continued North on US395 to Bishop, CA. We filled up the gas tanks and got ice. The BLM and the Inyo National Forest have a combined office in Bishop. We stopped there and picked up some maps and guides. We went down the street to Schat’s Bakery and picked up some fresh bread. We headed up CA168 towards the Eastern Sierras.

We arrived at North Lake Campground around 1pm.

After setting up camp we headed down to the Middle Fork of Bishop Creek and fished for a couple of hours before dinner.

Dinner was fresh trout

To be continued…
    Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Friday August 31 and Saturday September 1 were spent exploring the four lakes in Bishop Creek Canyon and the three forks of Bishop Creek.

North Lake

Lake Sabrina

South Lake

Intake II

Bishop Creek

South Fork Bishop Creek

Waterfall flowing into South Fork Bishop Creek

Top of a waterfall in Middle Fork Bishop Creek

North Fork Bishop Creek

Dinner both nights was fresh trout

To be continued…
    Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

Sunday September 2 we hiked up the Piute Pass Trail to the Lamarck Lakes Trail to the Grass Lake Trail.

Grass Lake

I had not been into the John Muir Wilderness in over 30 years. I had not caught a Golden Trout in over 30 years. It was a real treat to accomplish both again and it will only be a few years until the next visit.

More Grass Lake photos can be seen here

To be continued…

Comment

On Monday September 3 we broke camp and headed down into Bishop and the Owens River

The LADWP owns much of the Owens River and the land surrounding it but allows access to some parts of it. We started on US6 near 5 Bridges Road and Fish Slough

Eastern Sierras in the background

More Owens River photos can be seen here

In Bishop Linda said goodbye and headed for home. I had a couple of other stops I wanted to make. First stop was the Black Rock Fish Hatchery. I had been to the Mt Whitney Fish Hatchery a few years ago before it was closed and it was a fun visit.

I arrived at Black Rock at feeding time.

Lake inside the Black Rock complex

More Black Rock Fish Hatchery photos can be seen here

Heading South on 395 I had 1 more stop I wanted to make before heading home. Alabama Hills Recreation Area The Alabama Hills are the most used location in the world for movies, television and advertising. List of movies filmed in the Alabama Hills.

The Squeeze

More Alabama Hills photos can be seen here

I left Lone Pine at 5pm and I was home by 8pm. An absolute fantastic Labor day weekend in the Eastern Sierras.

Comment

Beautiful! Looks like a fantastic trip.

Comment

My favorite shot of the week.

I had walked all the way around Grass Lake (mostly mushy meadow) when I looked up and saw this view.

Comment

No fish pics means it didnt happen congrats on the golden. Now you need lohantan and you"ll be complete!
              [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
              [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
              http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

I'm glad that you finally got to relax some Doug. I know the trip to Colorado and Oceano Dunes must have been a burden for you. Glad that you could get away. :wink:
                [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
                Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
                [/COLOR]

Comment

Thanks Doug for the report. You had a great time this summer, I can tell.
                  IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Great photos and trip reports.....you certainly have put a lot of miles behind you in the month of August.

Comment

Doug - Looks like a great trip. I've traveled 395 in Owens Valley dozens of times over the years (usually when headed to Bishop area, Rock Creek basin, or Mammoth lakes), but have never stopped at Fossil Falls. I'll have to check it out next time.
                      Cliff

Comment

Last time I was at Grass Lake, we just walked across it.

Comment

I love your trip reports Doug! Always a tease to go and see the places you post photos of!
                          SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                          MJR moderator
                          MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                          Jeep Patrol Leader
                          Reforestation Supervisor
                          Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                          Eagle Scout

Comment

GOD I MISS THE WEST!!!!!! Illinois doesnt have places like that...... Lots of good bowhunting though which has taken up the empty spot in my soul from lack of rocks.......

Jason
                            The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT be infringed!!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X