Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Exploring in the San Bernardinos

On Sunday, I met up with RAT, 1 BAD F N Z, Scottymoto, and some non-MJR friends: Troy (in a 96 Cherokee) and Jason and Becky (in their Tundra). We went sight-seeing in the mountains north of Big Bear. I have been wanting to go see some of the 'tourist' stuff in the area and used the Bill Mann book as our guide.

We stopped first at the Doble Cemetary:

Then we went to the Lucky Baldwin Mine:

Metzger Mine:

The Rock Dam:

The Pigmy Cabin:

We stopped at the Bellville cabin and arrastre, then drove the loop around past the Hangman Tree and Two Gun Bill's. We passed Wilber's Grave on the way to find the Cabin in the Sky.

The hike up to the cabin is strenuous, especially if you take the way that we went! But the hike was worth it to me:

From there we took a little used trail up to the Independence Mine and the unnamed Mine with a Headframe:

To end the day, we found the rock shelters and the Natural Arch:

It was a great day for me. I really enjoyed the short hikes to find the various spots. The weather was great and the company was awesome!
    [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
    Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
    [/COLOR]

Awesome!
    Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

That was a great way to spend a day. It was fun watching Mike's eyes light up whenever we found something cool he wasn't expecting. I let Auggie drive my Jeep for part of the afternoon and he was just as fun to watch. Fist time driving off road in a Jeep. He wanted to go splashing in a mud hole, and I said go for it. Next thing I know, I'm pulling spark plugs and spraying poor Troy with muddy water from the cylinders. Had a freakin blast! Happy Birthday BFAM...:present::cake::beer::beer::beer:

BTW, since we didn't actually see the Doble town site means we have to go back, right???
      [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
      [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
      http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
        On Sunday, I met up with RAT, 1 BAD F N Z, Scottymoto, and some non-MJR friends: Troy (in a 96 Cherokee) and Jason and Becky (in their Tundra). We went sight-seeing in the mountains north of Big Bear. I have been wanting to go see some of the 'tourist' stuff in the area and used the Bill Mann book as our guide.

We stopped first at the Doble Cemetary:

Then we went to the Lucky Baldwin Mine:

Metzger Mine:

The Rock Dam:

The Pigmy Cabin:

We stopped at the Bellville cabin and arrastre, then drove the loop around past the Hangman Tree and Two Gun Bill's. We passed Wilber's Grave on the way to find the Cabin in the Sky.

The hike up to the cabin is strenuous, especially if you take the way that we went! But the hike was worth it to me:

From there we took a little used trail up to the Independence Mine and the unnamed Mine with a Headframe:

To end the day, we found the rock shelters and the Natural Arch:

It was a great day for me. I really enjoyed the short hikes to find the various spots. The weather was great and the company was awesome!
        These places look like a lot of interesting spots to explore. I have never been to some of those and did not even know they existed.

Comment

Originally posted by RAT View Post
          That was a great way to spend a day. It was fun watching Mike's eyes light up whenever we found something cool he wasn't expecting. I let Auggie drive my Jeep for part of the afternoon and he was just as fun to watch. Fist time driving off road in a Jeep. He wanted to go splashing in a mud hole, and I said go for it. Next thing I know, I'm pulling spark plugs and spraying poor Troy with muddy water from the cylinders. Had a freakin blast! Happy Birthday BFAM...:present::cake::beer::beer::beer:

BTW, since we didn't actually see the Doble town site means we have to go back, right???
          Heck yeah! I want to see the Doble area plus a bunch of other cool stuff that we didn't get to see.

Originally posted by 530ktm View Post
          These places look like a lot of interesting spots to explore. I have never been to some of those and did not even know they existed.
          I hear ya! I love the Bill Mann books for helping to find this kind of stuff. There are lots of cool things to see in the mountains. And even there weren't, it sure beats the heat down below!
          [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
          Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
          [/COLOR]

Comment

Did anybody notice on the largest grave (2nd up from bottom of the picture) that a rock in the middle looks like a skull just sitting there?
            God forgives, rocks don't
            -sons of thunder

Comment

Originally posted by 6spdYJ View Post
              Did anybody notice on the largest grave (2nd up from bottom of the picture) that a rock in the middle looks like a skull just sitting there?
              Yea thats a trip

Comment

It is a skull. We killed the guy for messing with our AAT signage...
                [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

I had a fun day.let me know when were going again.

Comment

Just for info purposes, you can by the Bill Mann books at the Lucerne Valley supermarket.
                    Rich

Comment

Working...
                    X