Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Santa Rosa Mountain Camping Trip July 21&22 2012

Camped out atop Santa Rosa Mtn with my wife and daughter and also enjoyed the oasis at the water crossing on San Jacinto Ridge Truck Trail 5S09, just North of the small mountain town of Idyllwild.

Santa Rosa Mountain Family Camping Trip

Link to report: http://johnandautumnsadventures.blog...ping-trip.html

Nice report, Santa Rosa has some great views. The trail off Hwy 74 at the horse parking spot is a lot of fun also.
    IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Glad to see you finally took the family camping up there, John. Thanks for the report! Sweet new wheels, huh? Do you still have the Borrego YJ, or did you sell it?
      holes = cowbell

Comment

Originally posted by curtis View Post
        Nice report, Santa Rosa has some great views. The trail off Hwy 74 at the horse parking spot is a lot of fun also.
        Thanks. I've also been up the trail you mentioned. But I don't think my girls are ready for that one yet.

Originally posted by inVERt'D View Post
        Glad to see you finally took the family camping up there, John. Thanks for the report! Sweet new wheels, huh? Do you still have the Borrego YJ, or did you sell it?
        Yeah, I still have the YJ. Its probably not going to see any use for awhile though. My wife loves the TJ since it has a hard top and ac.

Comment

Nice report. Thanks
          Check out .

Comment

You're baby-girl sure looks happy! It's all about dad time for her!
            SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
            MJR moderator
            MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
            Jeep Patrol Leader
            Reforestation Supervisor
            Licensed Ham - n6ujm
            Eagle Scout

Comment

Originally posted by dirtman13 View Post
              Nice report. Thanks
              Originally posted by Roger View Post
              You're baby-girl sure looks happy! It's all about dad time for her!
              Thanks guys! I'm definitely looking forward to providing my little girl with lots of good memories of camping and exploring out in the back country.

Comment

The trail off Hwy 74 at the horse parking spot is a lot of fun also.
                Where is that in relation to Santa Rosa Truck Trail ?

Comment

Originally posted by dktool View Post
                  Where is that in relation to Santa Rosa Truck Trail ?
                  Its just down the road a ways and connects to Santa Rosa Truck Trail.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/sbnf/...26491&actid=50

Comment

Is that 7S01 where it intersects with Santa Rosa Truck Trail 7S02 ?

We drove up SRTT Sat. and found the campsite you stayed in, very nice ! Drove to the end of the road where the Reservation boundary area gate is.
                    Great view and it's the first cool air we have felt in over a week that didn't come out of an A/C unit.

There was a trail going off to the left near your camp that I think was 7S02 ?

A thunder storm started a few minutes before we entered the road off of hwy.74, made the first couple miles a lot of fun with all the run off coming down the road.
                    Came face to face with a D9 Cat that was coming down, saw his tracks all the way to the top of the road so he had a full day of creeping.

I was surprised to find the one campsite that had running water and a vault toilet, wasn't expecting that up there.
                    Last edited by dktool; 08-13-12, 07:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dktool View Post
                      Is that 7S01 where it intersects with Santa Rosa Truck Trail 7S02 ?

We drove up SRTT Sat. and found the campsite you stayed in, very nice ! Drove to the end of the road where the Reservation boundary area gate is.
                      Great view and it's the first cool air we have felt in over a week that didn't come out of an A/C unit.

There was a trail going off to the left near your camp that I think was 7S02 ?

A thunder storm started a few minutes before we entered the road off of hwy.74, made the first couple miles a lot of fun with all the run off coming down the road.
                      Came face to face with a D9 Cat that was coming down, saw his tracks all the way to the top of the road so he had a full day of creeping.

I was surprised to find the one campsite that had running water and a vault toilet, wasn't expecting that up there.
                      Yes, I believe the trail you saw coming in on the left was 7S02. I know it as Sawmill trail. Its a fun route to take up the mountain. The site with the spring and vault toilet is probably one of the more popular sites there. It was taken when we got there.

If you're interested, I think there might be a group from Expedition Portal heading up there this weekend.

Comment

Working...
                      X