Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Run: 7/28/2012 Recon of proposed road closures in BB area

This is a short notice, but we do not have much time.

In response to the Forest Service proposing to close some roads in the Big Bear Lake area, I want to recon the roads that are impacted before I make my comments. If you are interested in joining me, please let me know.

Date: 7/28/2012
    Time: 9:00 AM
    Location: Big Bear Discovery Center. I'll either be by my Jeep or inside. I won't be hard to find.

Here we go, another battle to fight...
    SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
    MJR moderator
    MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
    Jeep Patrol Leader
    Reforestation Supervisor
    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
    Eagle Scout

I am curious what proposed roads they are even thinking about here. A large group of Jeeps will be up there Saturday as well.

Comment

Hi Roger. This has been an ongoing battle for us up here in Big Bear for years and my thanks go out to you for wanting to be involved. We need everyone. Do you know which roads are being proposed for closures? I'd like to take a look at them myself. Point of interest !! One of the reasons some of our roads are under attack is because over the years they have become widened by people who tend to stray off of them. There are area's on Gold Mtn that are at least 25 feet wider then they once were. Because of this, we are giving our local extreme environmental groups fuel for their agenda's. To close roads. Everyone should be aware that if they don't stay on the main roadbed they are helping these extreme groups shut down our roads. Just fuel for thought.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbearwheeler View Post
        Do you know which roads are being proposed for closures?
        Originally posted by 530ktm View Post
        I am curious what proposed roads they are even thinking about here.
        http://www.myjeeprocks.com/forums/showthread.php/22354
        Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

[COLOR="darkred"]I'll be there. I'm going to look for my maps tonight.[/COLOR]
          [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
          Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by bigbearwheeler View Post
            Hi Roger. This has been an ongoing battle for us up here in Big Bear for years and my thanks go out to you for wanting to be involved. We need everyone. Do you know which roads are being proposed for closures? I'd like to take a look at them myself. Point of interest !! One of the reasons some of our roads are under attack is because over the years they have become widened by people who tend to stray off of them. There are area's on Gold Mtn that are at least 25 feet wider then they once were. Because of this, we are giving our local extreme environmental groups fuel for their agenda's. To close roads. Everyone should be aware that if they don't stay on the main roadbed they are helping these extreme groups shut down our roads. Just fuel for thought.
            You're preaching to the choir here at MJR, but thank you for sharing that none-the-less. This type of knowledge needs to spread to those who don't realize actions they think are minor (like parking/driving off the trail) can have a major impact.
            If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

100% agreed! We just recently had a situation exactly as you described...so its nice to hear it from someone other than us
              2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
              Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

Yes, I do realize that I may be preaching to the choir about staying on the forest roads up in Big Bear with MJR folks, but not everyone knows that this is one of the reasons why were losing our roads. That's where I was going with this information. Unfortunately, its not the only reason we're losing roads though. It is an extremely complex and in many cases confusing delema for most forest recreationalist to understand. And the situation is just getting worse all the time. Case in point. Just general information. Our real advisaries up here in Big Bear are the Center for Biological Diversity and the Wildlands Society. These are the folks we should be fighting in court on a constant basis. These are the guys that want us to just go away and they're spending loads of money each year in their efforts to do it. Again, I may be preaching to the choir again, but I'm pretty sure there's some out there that didn't know this. Knowledge is power and I think we should all know what we're up against here. It's the only way we can win.

Comment

Whoops. Correction. Its the Wildlands Conservancy.

Comment

Although I agree that the CBD and the WC would like to close EVERYTHING to motorized travel and have often taken the Forest Service to court, I believe that the these closures are indicative of a new tactic; instead of going to court to close a route, road or trail, they are going to the State Water Board and getting the Board to close the whole area to motorized traffic on the basis of pollution and sediment. I understand that Mountaintop District Ranger Scott Tangenberg was assigned to his post because of his expertise in dealing with the State Water Board, and he deserves our support. IMHO, closing and restoring an illegal trail is a reasonable way to deal with pollution and sediment. OTOH, closing an authorized route in lieu of repairing and maintaining it is not a good response. In order to keep those routes open to motorized vehicles, we have to minimize the pollution and sediment we cause.
                    1. Educate the users to stay on the trails
                    2. Clean up the spill when you break something
                    3. Volunteer for Adopt-a-Trail work
                    Last edited by Russ Chung; 07-27-12, 02:45 AM.
                    If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
                    KI6MLU

Comment

Snow Summit and Bear Mountain take water out of the lake to make snow. The snow melts and drains back into the lake bringing pollution and sediment along with it. Stop the snow making process and you solve a much bigger sediment problem than what vehicles create when crossing a stream.
                      Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

Originally posted by Russ Chung View Post
                        Although I agree that the CBD and the WC would like to close EVERYTHING to motorized travel and have often taken the Forest Service to court, I believe that the these closures are indicative of a new tactic; instead of going to court to close a route, road or trail, they are going to the State Water Board and getting the Board to close the whole area to motorized traffic on the basis of pollution and sediment. I understand that Mountaintop District Ranger Scott Tangenberg was assigned to his post because of his expertise in dealing with the State Water Board, and he deserves our support. IMHO, closing and restoring an illegal trail is a reasonable way to deal with pollution and sediment. OTOH, closing an authorized route in lieu of repairing and maintaining it is not a good response. In order to keep those routes open to motorized vehicles, we have to minimize the pollution and sediment we cause.
                        1. Educate the users to stay on the trails
                        2. Clean up the spill when you break something
                        3. Volunteer for Adopt-a-Trail work
                        4. Construct puncheons and corduroy roads
                        Check out .

Comment

Most of the discussion on this thread belongs on the tread over in the Land use section!

So is anyone else besides Nick & I going Saturday???

Nick - Breakfast at North Shore Cafe 8:00 AM? ( Boycott Blondie's )
                          SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                          MJR moderator
                          MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                          Jeep Patrol Leader
                          Reforestation Supervisor
                          Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                          Eagle Scout

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
                            Most of the discussion on this thread belongs on the tread over in the Land use section!

So is anyone else besides Nick & I going Saturday???

Nick - Breakfast at North Shore Cafe 8:00 AM? ( Boycott Blondie's )
                            [COLOR="#8b0000"]Absolutely.[/COLOR]
                            [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
                            Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

Hey Roger
                              I would like to tag along. I will see you up there before 9.
                              Greg

Comment

Working...
                              X