Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Run: 4th of July Run

Yeah, I know I'm a little late posting this up, but having three nephews, my sister-in-law, and my mother-in-law all visiting this week sort of slowed down my posting.

Other than my mother-in-law, this was their first trip to California. They know my passion for Jeeping and they really wanted to go for a run. I didn't want to scare the crap out them but I wanted to have a scenic and mildly challenging experience, so I chose to run up 2N17X to Lake Arrowhead for the fireworks.

This worked well for Sharon to take the truck on the 'Green Circle' trails with the Mom-in-law and others while RAT and I took the crew up the non-Green Circle stuff.

We aired down at the Silverwood dam and then tackled the 'gate keeper' for 2N17X:

It was a beautiful and warm morning at the start of the trail. After Kurt and I took off up 2N17X, Sharon took Pilot Rock Road up the hill in the truck:

She stopped to rescue a gopher snake that refused to get out of the road:

After we met up at the top of 2N17X, Kurt and I took the Pilot Rock side trails over to the famous Pilot Rock:

A Boy and his Dog:

We played around a bit and worked our way back down to the truck to carry on with the day:

From there, we headed over to the Pinnacles staging area where we took the 3N34X cut-off while Sharon took the truck around 3N34 to Willow Creek. When we met up, I was very surprised to see the Willow Creek crossing dry! I've never seen the crossing dry before.

We then made or way to the Devil's Hole. It got a little exciting when Sharon took a tight turn with the truck:

A little Bumper-Cowboy work and we were back under way:

The water was unusually warm at the Devil's Hole. Almost everyone got into the water:

We saw a Garter Snake in the water and Kurt eventually caught it:

We took turns petting it before releasing it back into the wild:

The Nephews had a great time:

Even the Mother-in-law got some Jeeping in:

Mostly because it was easier than walking back up the hill to the truck:

From there, we went out Hooks Creek to the Malt Shop for dinner. Then we went to the Northshore ranger post to watch the fireworks. Even though it was hot in the morning, the evening was breezy and cool:

The fireworks over the lake made me proud to be in a free country!:

I had a great day and my family especially enjoyed it! I am looking forward to next year's adventures!
    Last edited by Mike; 07-09-12, 01:25 AM.
    [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
    Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
    [/COLOR]

Thanks for sharing the photos that made my morning !

glad you and your family visiting had a good time

Peace

Comment

[COLOR="darkred"]Lots of smiles all around. Heard the fireworks were really a great show. Definately a great day outdoors from the looks of it.[/COLOR]
      [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
      Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

That looked like a really fun run, and the photos were great. They floated me out of my office here at work for awhile.

I especially liked the the lake pic with flowers in the foreground.

Mike
        "They look Friendly" G. Custer

Comment

Originally posted by Deepwater View Post
          That looked like a really fun run, and the photos were great. They floated me out of my office here at work for awhile.

I especially liked the the lake pic with flowers in the foreground.

Mike
          I really like that pic too! Sharon stopped and took that from Pilot Rock Road.

And Nick, yes! The fireworks show at Arrowhead this year was fantastic! And a lot longer than the San Diego show. :wink:

[/COLOR]

Comment

Yep, a fun day. I haven't been on 2N17X in a long, long time.Need to go more often. It was great to see Mike and Sharon's family again. The boys are fearless. Too bad I can't say the same for poor old Ozzi...
            [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
            [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
            http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Great pictures of your adventure! Kurt, the Jeep is looking bad ass and has awesome flex, Very cool.

Sharron, that turn always bugged me. Saw a bunch of scary 3 wheel action there.

Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Looks like a great day and not many can probably say that they have had that much fun with their Mother in Law

Comment

Originally posted by Tycho View Post
                  Looks like a great day and not many can probably say that they have had that much fun with their Mother in Law
                  True! My mother in law puts up with a lot torment. We took her on the Rubicon for her first difficult trail. Halfway up the granite bowl, she tells me that she has a terrible fear of heights.... oops!

[/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                  X