Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Keller Peak +

Today, Sharon and I decided to go run 1N09 across the mountain front and then drop down to the Santa Ana River and do a little fishing.

Well that didn't work out since when we got to the start of 1N09 at Hwy 330, the gate was closed and locked. Since we were already out, we decided to go check out Keller Peak and the Children's Forest.

We went straight up to the top of the peak first thing:

We climbed the rocks to the tallest point of the peak:

On the way back down, we found the memorial plaque for the B-26 bomber crash on the side of the peak in 1941:

There are still two engines on the side of the mountain and I wanted to hike down to them. The problem was that I could not find a trail anywhere. I climbed up the hill past the marker and eventually saw a flag on a post down the side of the mountain:

But that flag was not close. The circle is that same flag without the zoom:

The whole hillside was covered with thick brush. Mostly some bush that made me think that it was some sort of laurel. The others were manzanita and, my favorite (not), buckthorn!

Sharon wisely chose to wait for me while I tried to make my way down the hill to the flag. It was tough! The brush was as tall or taller than me (6 feet) for at least half of the trip and the grade was steeper than I thought when I started. The brush was stiff and didn't crush down after I passed through it.

Stubbornly, I pushed on to the flag where I found the first engine!:

Looking back the way that I came... The little dot on the rock at the top is Sharon. Note that my path down is not visible in the brush:

The view from engine is nice:

Unfortunately, I stirred up an ants nest at the base of the post. They were all over me and I had to keep moving around to keep them off:

Given the difficulty that I had getting to the first engine, I chose to return instead of continuing down the mountain to look for the next one. Climbing back up was tougher that going down by far. It was a full body work out that left my legs a bloody mess:

We explored the area some more and ran into a group of folks heading out with fishing poles. I asked where they were going and they said that there was a lake nearby. I grabbed my gear and followed the general direction that they went. It was easy to find the lake:

Clearly, there were plenty of catfish in the lake!:

They were way too easy to catch:

I released the one that I caught with no injury to him and then packed up my stuff. We headed back down to Arrowbear and then had dinner at Blondie's Grill. The food was good and the place was packed for Mother's Day.

We went to Arrowbear Lake and I fished a bit. The lake was churning with fish snacking on the bugs flying along the surface. I cast a few times but ended up with a nasty birds nest on my open-faced reel and decided to call it a day.

On the way back down the 330, we stopped at the bridge in the middle of no where:

I don't know how old this bridge is but there is no passable entrance or exit for a vehicle:

The view from the bridge is nice. I need to try to come back in better light:

It was a nice day in the mountains. I still want to run 1N09 and fish the river at the end, but I can't complain about the way the day turned out.
    [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
    Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
    [/COLOR]

Mike, What's the name of the lake you guys fished? What a fun day!
    SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
    MJR moderator
    MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
    Jeep Patrol Leader
    Reforestation Supervisor
    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
    Eagle Scout

Comment

I think the "lake" is the reservoir for the snow makers at the Snow Valley Ski Resort. I've heard about it before and it's right by the Children's Forest and Keller Peak.

Comment

Very cool Mike,Thanks for sharing yet another place I want to explore.
        Dennis and Tammy
        Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Comment

Mike,
          Thanks for bushwacking down to the engine and taking pictures for us. Saves us from having to do it now. Nice legs!

Mike
          "They look Friendly" G. Custer

Comment

Originally posted by Reedster View Post
            I think the "lake" is the reservoir for the snow makers at the Snow Valley Ski Resort. I've heard about it before and it's right by the Children's Forest and Keller Peak.
            After I got home and checked it on Google Earth, I think that you might be right.

[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Deepwater View Post
              Mike,
              Thanks for bushwacking down to the engine and taking pictures for us. Saves us from having to do it now. Nice legs!

Mike
              Yeah, I'm willing to go again, but I am planning the appropriate wardrobe. (and maybe a machette!)

[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                Yeah, I'm willing to go again, but I am planning the appropriate wardrobe. (and maybe a machette!)
                That looks like a fun day and great pictures I always keep my Gerber Gator in the jeep just in case... great tool to have. nice saw blade on one side sure helps out.

Danny
                [COLOR="red"]Are you seeing planes? Is your name Tattoo? Because I swear to God, you're living on Fantasy Island[/COLOR]

Comment

Mike...WOW, thanks for sharing your experience. Next time you decide to head up please let me know. I would love to tag along! I rode through there on my way to big bear last weekend and fell in love with the entire area.

HOOYAH!!!
                  Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Quantumracer View Post
                    Mike...WOW, thanks for sharing your experience. Next time you decide to head up please let me know. I would love to tag along! I rode through there on my way to big bear last weekend and fell in love with the entire area.

HOOYAH!!!
                    Dan
                    I still would like to try to make it to lower engine, so if you are in, we can pick a day to try. I still have a long list of things that I want to see in the SBNF. Many of them don't require lockers, high clearance, or even 4WD. But you had better be willing to drive a bit and to hike some rough terrain.

I'm thinking about picking a warm day down in the valley to put together an exploration day in the cooler mtns. I'll post up a day if folks are interested.

[/COLOR]

Comment

This looks amazing! I've never been up there, but frequent the repeater Awesome pics
                      :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

I'm thinking about picking a warm day down in the valley to put together an exploration day in the cooler mtns. I'll post up a day if folks are interested.[/QUOTE]

Mike, I would be interested, you are always finding interesting places.

Mike
                        "They look Friendly" G. Custer

Comment

Yep its called the snow valley res it used to be illegal to fish had a fence around it haha I grew up in arrobear for 18 years loved every bit of it we used to own the burger stand there my parents still live in arrowbear unfortunately I live in crestline now haha gees sorry but you guys sound like a bunch of flatlanders lol green valley lake is close too and theres great fishing there as well,arrowbear lakeunfortunately isn't fish worthy but I know so many hiking trails around kellers peak we should all plan a camping trip there then drive 5 mind to wheel crab flats
                          Forest service engine crew Arborist Adopt a trail member rock climbing

Comment

Mike, I'm in!

HOOYAH!!!
                            Dan

Comment

Hey David (wicked xj), I'm pretty sure that the lake is still officially off-limits, but the number of locals that were playing in the water or fishing made me think otherwise. Apparently Snow Valley doesn't monitor the lake in the summertime.

As for a 'cool stuff' tour of the mountains, I'll let you guys know when I get a few more details and can plan out a tour that makes sense and can be done in a reasonable amount of time. I may need to do some more exploratory runs to get a feel for it.

[/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                              X